SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iowablooms

Fall and winter care for roses zone 5

Zone 5 and below folks, what is your fall and winter care routine for roses? I am zone 5 and occasionally mulch with leaves but do not have a regular routine for my roses. I get a lot of die back and would like to change that. Roses I am growing include At Last, Tamora, St Cecilia, Bascobel, Teasing GA, Florentina, Morden Blush, Blaze, Eutin, Calypso, a few Buck roses, some misc Weeks body bag roses. These all die back to a couple inches each year. I would like to start spring out with some stronger growth though. Is that even feasible?

I do grow a couple roses that have better tip survival such as William Baffin, Above and Beyond, John Cabot, Sunrise Sunset, champagne wishes just as an aside. They do not seem to need me to do much for winter. I am not sure if any particular fall care for them would be useful though also.

I have read some people use wood chips or mound up soil. If you do this, when do you uncover in spring and what do you do with the soil/mulch? Do you shovel it away or rake into the surrounding bed areas?

Comments (10)