SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie_nikander

What should I do with this wall?

J N
last year

Suggestions please on what to do with this wall.
Not a huge fan of spending $$$$ to rip out the entire thing to put in modern slim fireplace/ with tv mounted over it though I love that look.
Really want to keep the cost down as much as possible because we still need to buy all new furnishings, lighting, etc.

Comments (40)

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

@Decoenthusiaste
    Thank you for your input. It’s a gas fireplace vented to the outside. I love the look of that, though. The room is 18 ft wide. We could arrange seating around the tv but we’d have to figure out how to furnish and arrange the left side of the room.

• Related Discussions

What should I do with this wall?

Q

Comments (12)
    Hey Ideefixe! Oh I agree the room is still off balance. I don't mind the suggestions. I've tried just about everything as far as arranging this room. The arrangement before this one had the wing and web back chair flipped but with suggestions on here it was moved to the way it is now. Like this. Here's a shot of how the rest of the room is arranged. That mirror will move. Yes, yes I know some of you are smacking your forheads..:) With the tv jack being where it is and the entrances this is what it come down to. I attached an old thread where I finally split the entertainment stand. Here is a link that might be useful: musical furniture.
    ...See More

What should I do with exterior walls

Q

Comments (5)
    I wouldn't add any cladding. I think I'd find a different paint color that works better with the redwood deck. Maybe a dark sage green instead of the beige-y gray you currently have. This is Benjamin Moore's Heather Gray.
    ...See More

What should I do on the wall behind a wood stove?

Q

Comments (3)
    I would like to see the chimney and firewall be the same material. If it were mine, I'd probably add brick behind to match and paint it all white (with a heat resistant paint, of course). I would then think about a tile for the floor that is closer to the wood color (but not a wood look tile) so it blends in, or maybe make a statement with a patterned cement tile. Does your woodstove brand have matching stovepipe available? If so, I'd switch it out for burgundy pipe. I don't know the technical aspects of using tile, but some of these with white tile is a more modern/contemporary look than the brick. not this stone, but with matching burgundy stovepipe: white brick: tile? fun hearths: this one with white brick
    ...See More

What should I do with this wall

Q

Comments (1)
    A couple of points: The items you have placed on the mantle are too small so I have enlarged them in the photo. You can place a tall tree behind the chair to divide the living room from the dining room. Add a mirror and candle wall sconces over the chest in the dining room
    ...See More
  • everdebz
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think the contemporary-clean look might work, without a mantel. A square/ rectangular canvas art that you like... Can we see close up of the fireplace?

• everdebz
    last year

To help with layout, can you post photos facing the other direction, so we see where the walkways are..?

Maybe the entire seating area can be moved over, and recliner moved over to corner, basically. Then tell how many feet are left on the left...

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

New tile possibly to the ceiling? Paint gold trim and change out the wood handles? Or just too outdated?

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

Everdebz maybe this helps

• PRO
    MDLN
    last year

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

9ft from the left wall is where the niche and fireplace meet.
    (1st photo)

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

How long have you lived in this home? You mentioned liking the look of the modern slim fireplace and needing to replace all your furniture and your kitchen is clean and more modern, but your furniture is dark and heavy.

Before you can decide what to do you need to know what feeling you are looking for.

I used orange to show you kind of what your space could look like, how you could open it up and make it feel more modern and bring your personality into the room.

A less bulky sofa, a nice chair in the corner where the lamp is, an oval, modern coffee table, a slim console under the TV and another chair or two facing the fireplace.

Art that you love displayed.

The orange can be any color that makes your heart sing.

Re tiling and extending the fireplace tile would be relatively inexpensive compared to many other options.

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

MDLN, I love the 2nd picture. I’ve seen that before on Houzz and I thought I might use that as the design model but wondering if we could achieve the same look since our fireplace is so low to the floor?

• elcieg
    last year

Add a chest and some shelves to make it look more custom.

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Jennifer,
    Love your design ideas. The only problem with that arrangement is that the couch would be 18 ft from the tv.

• lucky998877
    last year

Is this a new home to you? Have you made sure that the fireplace works well, and is safe? I had an old fp that looked similar and its gaskets had to be replaced and I still felt unsafe to use it...the smell when it got hot. I would have a fp service done and evaluate if it's worth to build a design around it...I get the $$$, but gas fireplaces can unsafe with age.

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

What about filling in half the niche so there is an equal amount of wall in either side of the fireplace, fill remaining opening with floating shelves and place tv over the fireplace?

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

Judianna20 thank you. That is a strong possibility.
    Again the tv would be limited to a 55 inch, and placed opposite of most of the seating but maybe I’m over-thinking this. My husband would say yes. 😉

• PRO
    User
    last year

I would suggest Jennifer Hogan's idea. How far is the love seat from the TV now? Looks about 18' as well.

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

Lucky998877
    Thank you that’s good advice.

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

Glo,
    Thanks for your input.
    The distance between the tv and love seat is 11 ft

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

Maybe the better question is,
    We just remodeled our kitchen. What do we do with the rest of the room and where should we start?

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

Close up of kitchen

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Can you share a drawing of the room with dimensions. It is often difficult to see spacing in photos.

My living room is 20x20. I floated my sofa 5' from the north wall and have my TV on the South wall, Fireplace on the West wall. Having the sofa 15' from the TV is not a big deal. I have a 55" TV in that room.

In my bedroom I have a small 27" TV that is 15' feet from the headboard on the bed. I have a hard time seeing subtitles or the movie descriptions from that distance with the smaller TV, but it works for watching the news in the morning or a movie when I relax in the evening.

My sister's living room is 20x23, TV is also probably a 55" or similar. Her sofa backs to the dining room and there is a small console table behind the sofa - that would mean her sofa is between 18 and 19' from the TV. Again, not a problem.

I think many of the "Great Rooms" are pretty large and have TVs at distances of 15', 18' or more from the seating.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Your kitchen is beautiful.

I am renovating my home one room at a time, trying to get everything done within the next 4 years.

I have an overall plan, but there is also flexibility, not every decision has been made, but I know the parameters that I will be working within.

I started my plan by living in the house for 6 months without changing anything. During that time I learned what really bothered me and things that don't bother me. I also really thought about each room, how I used the rooms, what wasn't being utilized and what was missing. I kept a journal to write down issues so I wouldn't forget about things later on.

I decided what things in my home were staying. Some were things that I love (slate floor entry, brick fireplace), others were things I simply can't afford to change (would love all new windows, but I don't have enough budget to get all new windows) and a few things were neutral ( Kept the tub/shower in the master bath. Not in love with it, but it functions well and there were other places that my money will make a larger difference.)

I already knew my style. When I got married 35 years ago I got some hand me down furniture that was mid century modern furniture and some that was this that or the other. Over the years I kept replacing the this that and the other with Scandinavian/MCM teak furniture.

Before replacing your current furniture it is time to decide on your style. Not everything has to be replaced at one time and not everything has to be one style, but you should have a main style that flows through your home. Over the years you can replace pieces as you find good deals on items that you love.

The next thing I did was decide on my color palette. Think about the colors that you love. The clothing that you buy, the art that you buy, the things that you can't walk past without wanting to buy. We all have certain colors that make our heart sing and those colors should be in our homes. You have to figure out what colors you love and work with the things that are staying in your home.

I like smoky purples, reds and teal greens. The colors I love look good next to blue green grays, violet grays and taupe (taupe is the color between violet gray and pink beige - not to be confused with greige - the color between green gray and green beige). They don't look good with greige, green, yellow or orange beige, and are okay with blue grays.

I pick colors first, pick a neutral that works well with my colors and a white that works with my neutral and colors.

If you pick your style and color palette shopping for the right items becomes infinitely easier and less confusing. The end result is a home that feels harmonious and brings you joy.

• everdebz
    last year

Sofas look great. The stain of coffee table imo should become toasty, more like the wall color. Your touches of art on 1 or 2 walls, how many? will be good!

• everdebz
    last year

I thought of tiling to the ceiling also, but canvas art is not hard to find. Online your favorite traditional artist from today, or centuries back can be found, and enjoyed. Can later make big fp change.

If you want, post photo of the arched mirror over fp. :)

Metal Tree Wall Decor 68539 · More Info

Ancient Tree of Life · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Brainstorming - mantel cut to exact width to go above tv. Place black/dark metal, etc. item to 'fill' - again, I think canvas art is great.

Wooden Picture Holder With Deer Bust · More Info

27.5" Rustic Wood Centerpiece Tray With Five Metal Candle Holders, 6-Piece Set · More Info

Marmont Hill, "Rustic Horse II" by Irena Orlov Painting on Wrapped Canvas, 40x40 · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Or re-do the mantel to seem right on top of the tile, and not apart from it.

A & B Home 4.5"D x 16"W x 6"H Jurupa Candle Holder in Multi Color HP76327 · More Info

A & B Home 5.5"D x 16"W x 4.5"H Harlan Candle Holder in Multi Color HP76345 · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Doris Reindl 'Krokus' Canvas Art, 30x47 · More Info

Esp. for sofa wall:

Marmont Hill, "Fire Horse" by Irena Orlov Painting on Wrapped Canvas, 60x40 · More Info

"Bridge Over Water" HD Curved Steel Wall Art · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Warns: if you change the channel, I will poke u!

Faux Deer Head Wall Mount - 14 Point Stag Head Antlers, White and Green Patina · More Info

Tree Wall Plaque Set, Decorative wall art, Natural Wall art, Home Decor · More Info

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

Here’s the basic floor plan.
    Regarding style, I’m drawn to the Hamptons vibe.
    Regarding budget,
    Basically we have enough to replace the main furnishings or do a complete fireplace wall remodel. Or a simpler edit if both. The rest will have to slowly change over time. I was going to start with new sofas but I don’t know what the layout will ultimately be.
    Regarding color scheme:
    Warm white, light taupe/gray, camel, and lots of Blue. Touches of black.
    I plan to repaint the walls a more current color.
    Really appreciate all the input.

• everdebz
    last year

Should I delete my photos?

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for your input everdebz. My main goal here is to establish the layout first. While that’s not exactly the direction I want to go, I also appreciate a fresh perspective on the design.

• everdebz
    last year

Ok, and I search and post while new info is on my mind, thank you, and I hope it had a little bearing.

Back to fp and new tile, etc. -- MDLN and I had about the same idea, MDLN posted this photo: complete tiling / place wood horizontally however works -- It's fortunate in a way that the tv can be recessed... could you do without a console?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Good you are thinking about furniture placement before you do anything. Kudos! I would pull furniture now and future away from walls. You have plenty of room. Are you wanting a sectional or separate sofa and chairs? A large rug will help anchor any furniture. Might consider shelves in niche and do TV to left of fireplace or put TV on left wall as you face fireplace. Your “lines of sight” will help determine placement that will work best for you. I don’t think you are overthinking. Thinking this placement through will prevent costly mistakes. I can do a scale layout later today. We have out of town company but they will be on their way later today. So, I will check in later. Great space. Just needs proper layout with properly scaled pieces.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here is Option 1. I am suggesting you hunt for an antique armoire to slip into the niche. Depending on other furniture selections, you might want to paint it for interesting focal point. I relocated the TV and got larger TV with long console below. I would explore the cost to delete that fireplace or move to niche and fix wall where it currently sits. As a min get heat proof black spray paint and spray away gold bands. I would select track arm sofas and large coffee table or a pair of 24 x 48” glass and metal tables butted together. Less wood pieces for sure. A swivel chair to left of existing fireplace so TV can be viewed from there. A 9 x 12’ rug would anchor grouping. Depending on size of dining table you might have room for sofa table behind sofa with back to kitchen/ dining areas. A arc lamp behind swivel chair would be nice. Change out fan with style that works with new furniture.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Some visuals with black, whites and cognac color palette.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

That is fan/light combo.

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate the input.
    This has been very helpful.

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    last year

we've got plenty of wall art ideas to spark your creativity. To check more unique collections please visit my shop -

http://www.pooviartgallery.com

new abstract art · More Info

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Even though a lot of people are not fans of mounting tv above the fireplace it has worked well for me. Your mantel doesn't work with your room. I would suggest getting rid of it all together. You should consider replacing the tile surround with another material. I would turn the niche into art display or would subdivide it into two parts - the lower for wood storage and the upper portion for art. I do sometimes question storing wood inside. The wood most likely has boring insects in it or others types of insects on it.

• J N
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks again for your input everyone.
    Anyone know the approximate cost of centering the gas fireplace on the wall, moving it over 2 ft and adding shelves or cabinets on both sides?