SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

What's your favorite non-traditional ice cream flavor?

plllog
last year
last modified: last year

Or ice cream adjacent, like frozen yoghurt or gelato. I mean, traditional flavor are traditional because lots of people like them, so here's a list of yeah, we know, off the top of my head: Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, Neapolitan of the first three, chocolate chip, mint chocolate chip (mint or chocolate base), chocolate ripple, French vanilla, rocky road, butter pecan, rum raisin, pistachio, spumoni, bastani (saffron and rose). Then there are the plain single fruit flavors, such as banana, cherry, mango, peach, coconut, blueberry, etc., which one finds in ice cream, frozen yoghurt, sorbet, sherbet, paletas, etc.

I don't eat a lot of sweets, but have a weakness for anything frozen. There's nothing better than a good vanilla ice cream, but whether I'm making ice cream from scratch or buying it for home, I kind of think the above flavors are too expected and not really worth the freezer space. :)

So, what's your favorite non-traditional flavor? Or your least favorite? I don't care for herbaceous ice creams (tea, basil, mint, etc.) but my new favorite is McConnel's (a local, California brand) eureka lemon and marionberry, a firm lemon ice cream with a ribbon of Oregon marionberry preserves (yes, including a few seeds). It's pretty darned perfect. :)

Comments (26)

• bragu_DSM 5
    last year

rocky road, butter pecan, tin roof sundae, pistachio, butterfinger or a caramel anything ... or a snickers frozen yogurt from Culver's ...

plllog thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • Eileen
    last year

I've been looking for a plain lemon ice cream for years. Most have add-ins and I'm not a fan of add-ins for fruit flavors. I'll have to pick up some of that McConnell's. It's sold here and those Marionberries probably come from my area.

My favorite from a Cape Cod ice cream shop was orange pineapple. I have a recipe that's pretty close.

plllog thanked Eileen
  • Related Discussions

What's your favorite recipe for Iced Coffee?

Q

Comments (29)
    We normally drink a local brand, Peet's, selecting the Italian Roast (a lot stronger and more bitter than French Roast) and have it preground in a #2 grind, which is one small step above powder (Turkish). A standard drip grind is #6 and espresso is #4, for comparison. We do a Melitta drip with Melitta woven filters, which make a much better brew than standard paper filters. For iced coffee, we do a double-strength brew: make our usual coffee, then immediately use it to pour through a fresh batch of grounds. DH grew up in Hong Kong so he prefers the taste of sweetened condensed milk in iced tea and coffee drinks. If we make a large batch, we chill it in the frig for a few hours so that no ice cubes dilute it. But if we're desperate, a few ice cubes in a glass chill it quickly, and this brew is so strong, a 1/4 cup of water is barely noticeable in a tall glass. Chocolate syrup is a nice addition, except you have to add extra for it to make any impact on what is basically a triple-strength espresso drink. Unbelievably, my DH can drink this right before going to bed and drop off to sleep like a baby....yeah, I'm jealous of that!
    ...See More

Do you have a favorite ice cream flavor or brand?

Q

Comments (52)
    salgal- I have to agree with you about Lapp Valley Farm in Pa. When we live in CT we went to Lancaster County twice a year to visit the Amish. We found that farm when we were riding around. The ice cream could not be beat. The older Amish man told us he could wrap the ice cream for us so we could bring it back to CT & it would not thaw & he was right. Hubby has a sweet tooth so we always came back with at least 8-10 gallons.
    ...See More

What's your favorite non-mold mold??

Q

Comments (5)
    For mass production, I like the small daisy sour cream containers. They make a nice simple round bar, they are cheap and easy to come by. I've saved about eight of them and use them regularly. Good for your basic, no frills soap - you know - the practical ones we wash with! Magi
    ...See More

Do You Have A Favorite Brand or Flavor of Ice Cream?

Q

Comments (33)
    I have never heard of Blue Bell until now, but its not available in California, darn :-( Sure sounds good ! My hubby loves Ice Cream, but I never buy it for myself, I do enjoy a cone from McDonalds once in awhile though and if we had a speciality Ice Cream Place I would probably like it, like 31 flavors. A few months ago they started putting in a Cold Stone shop, got it half built and we got excited about it, and then they just stopped , left and put in a small subway :-(
    ...See More
  • chloebud
    last year

Not a big ice cream eater but find it hard to pass up Baskin Robbins’ Pralines and Cream.

That lemon and marionberry does sound good. Love lemons…love berries…love them combined.

plllog thanked chloebud
  • Judi
    last year

Had a wonderful satsuma sorbet recently.

I made mocha latte with dark chocolate chunks for the 4th. Thinking about mango sorbet next.

plllog thanked Judi
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

We have a fabulous artesian ice creamery where I live. They have a whole host of uncommon flavors, including Mexican chocolate, Irish coffee, green tea and ginger. Their namesake flavor - Mora (Spanish for blackberry) - is pretty high on my list but I also love their sorbets.........Pink Grapefruit, Mojito and Cranberry Orange (only available over the holidays)

plllog thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • CA Kate z9
    last year

We also have a very good Ice cream shop here called Ampersand, and they also have really strange combinations. It is an adventure every time I go there. So far my favorite is Blood Orange, but each is a real treat.

plllog thanked CA Kate z9
  • plllog
    Original Author
    last year

I also really like Talenti black raspberry chocolate chip gelato. :)

• Olychick
    last year

Black licorice is my all time favorite. An artisan producer in my area (Olympic Mountain) makes it sometimes; it used to be black, but now they flavor it the same but it's white. Not the same experience and I don't like it as well. Has to be black!

plllog thanked Olychick
  • lizbeth-gardener
    last year

I love black raspberry, but have only ran into it in ice cream shops. My favorite gelato is hazlenut or mango.

plllog thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • caflowerluver
    last year

My favorite is BR's Jamoca Almond Fudge. One that is hard to find is Black Walnut. Don't know if those are non traditional enough.

plllog thanked caflowerluver
  • Lars
    last year

Favorites are mamey and guanabana (both traditional in Mexico), followed by Amaretto - Kevin's favorite is pistachio, which I've only made a couple of times. He always ordered that at the gelato shops we visited in Italy.

Worst flavor: butter pecan - I do not want butter flavor in my ice cream, and while I love pecans, I do not like them in ice cream.

When I'm on a tropical beach, I generally get coconut, which I also like a lot, especially when made from fresh coconuts.

You can now get mamey paletas at truck stops on I-5 in California, which is a great treat. I get guanabana ice cream at the Mar Vista farmers' market.

Silver Lake has some good ice cream shops with flavors that I used to get in Mexico.

I have a compressor ice cream maker, and so I can make ice cream quickly on a whim. My favorite that I make is cherimoya, and it only has two ingredients: cherimoya and cream, as the cherimoya is very sweet and tastes like crème anglaise.

Cherimoyas are somewhat difficult to get to make fruit because I have to hand pollinate the flowers, which are hermaphroditic, and I have to find male and female flowers open at the same time, as the pollen does not keep for more than a couple of hours. I have a similar problem with dragonfruit, but I can use pollen from the same flower to pollinate. I have to do this between 9 and 11 PM, however, when the flower first opens. By morning it is too late.

plllog thanked Lars
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

I do not have a non-traditional favorite, I guess. I have decided, tho, that I prefer smooth ice creams without bits of chewy/crunchy things - tho I do like peach, cherry vanilla and butter pecan - as long as the chunks are big and not too numerous. I do not want to chew ice cream!

I also really dislike chocolate chips in ice cream - they just taste like wax to me 😝

I do make and enjoy pear sorbet, so I guess that would count, right?

When I was a kid, my faves from the local ice cream shop (Brestlers) were daiquiri(non-alcoholic of course) and pumpkin pie - not at the same time tho.

plllog thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • plllog
    Original Author
    last year

I agree on the chewing most of the time. I do like flake or shaved chocolate dhip, which are lickable, but not chocolate chunk. The black raspberry sorbet has 3D bits, but they eat like shaved rather than chunk. The exception, for me, is when the whole point is chewing, like Rocky Road, or any nut ice cream. I don't like it when the nuts are frozen hard, but if they're like fresh peanuts, pistachios, pecans, etc., I'm okay with them as much as I'd be if they were in a brownie or quickbread. That is, not always welcome, but can be good if one is accepting. :) Or, the ne plus ultra, Ben and Jerry's, who have made an artform of binding a bowl full of candy and stuff with ice cream. Most of that is too sweet for me, but I saw an interview with them where they talked about how important the balance is so that the bottom of the pint was as good as the first bite. The implication was that one person would eat the whole thing in one sitting! But I've found that to hold even when the first serving was quite different from the fourth.

I had a revelation recently. Tillamook Oregon Dark Cherry. It's not cherry vanilla. It's cherry ice cream with cherries in it. One of the ingredients is cherry juice concentrate. It's well conceived. Not too strong or too sweet, so it doesn't taste like candy. The milky flavor, like one has with vanilla, is still all there. I haven't been motivated to make ice cream recently, but I'm going to experiment with concentrated fruit juice eventually.

I'm fascinated by black colored black licorice ice cream! I hope they bring it back, but I'm guessing either black was a hard sell or whatever made it black was too expensive, or didn't agree with people. I don't even like licorice, but I'd want to try that!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

Mint chocolate chip!

plllog thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • Eileen
    last year

I need to dust off my ice cream maker. Does anyone have a good custard base recipe?

I read that adding a little vodka will make it scoopable. Would something like Cointreau do the same?

plllog thanked Eileen
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

This is making me want to make some ice cream - and sorbet too 😃

I've never made custard based ice cream, but I can still clearly recall our neighbors making French vanilla ice cream when I was a kid, and how good it was.

plllog thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • plllog
    Original Author
    last year

IME, the custard gets adjusted depending on the flavor, etc. Most recipes I've tried make it the consistency of cream or a little thicker than crepe batter. It thickens up when you cook it. I admit to liking it thick, however, and I often violate all rules and cook it until it starts to clump just a little. This is not skin or scrambled eggs! Just the beginnings of pudding. The bits break up when you pour through a sieve. New York Times and The Kitchn both have ice cream intros, and I bet Serious Eats does too. I wouldn't hesitate to use theirs.

• Judi
    last year

I add a couple tablespoons of Kahlua to the custard base of mocha latte. Before I started doing that the ice cream was extremely difficult to scoop.

Here's a recipe from David Lebowitz that calls for 5 eggs (or more if you like).

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/vanilla-ice-cream/

• Lars
    last year

Here is my recipe for French vanilla ice cream:

• 1 cup whole milk
    • 3/4 cup sugar
    • 2 cups heavy cream, divided
    • 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise, about 6” long
    • 4 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract (can substitute a liqueur)

Combine the milk, sugar, and one-half cup of the cream in a medium saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the pan and drop in the vanilla pod. Heat over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is warmed through. Remove the pan from the heat, cover, and let the mixture steep for 30 minutes.

Pour one cup of cream into a bowl and set a fine mesh sieve over the top. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and egg with 1/2 cup cream until smooth. Slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon (about 170˚-175˚ F–77°-80° C). Pour the custard through the mesh strainer into the bowl with the cream, removing the vanilla bean. Stir in the vanilla. Let cool slightly, then cover top surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely chilled.

Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

If you want a different flavor, omit the vanilla bean and vanilla extract.

I always add a liqueur to my ice cream to make it easier to scoop, generally one or two Tablespoons, depending on how soft I want it.

I use Cointreau in strawberry ice cream, but if I am making vanilla, I add Frangelico or Amaretto. If I am making chocolate, I may add chocolate liqueur, Kahlua, coffee liqueur (mine is from New Orleans), or any nut liqueur. In addition to Frangelico and Amaretto, I also have Noce, walnut, pecan, and Cassis liqueurs. I would never add vodka to ice cream, although it would make the ice cream softer. I generally add the liqueur to the freezer when it is about half way through freezing.

*Note: I never add salt to any ice cream that I make, not even a pinch. If using a bitter chocolate, I might add a pinch, but usually I do not, and I prefer it without.

• Judi
    last year

I generally add the liqueur to the freezer when it is about half way through freezing.

I used to add it to the cooled custard, now I add it to the custard as it cooks.

• plllog
    Original Author
    last year

Yep! Roxanna, that sounds amazing, and definitely not traditional!

• amylou321
    last year

Sorry I am so basic when it comes to ice cream. I like over the top Chocolate. I would be really disappointed if chocolate wasn't available to me. There is an Ice cream place being built nearby and its similar to cold stone where you get an ice cream and mix ins. SO loves ice cream. We looked at the website and already have our combinations when they do finally open, For him, Caramel ice cream with caramel topping and yellow cake. Me, dark chocolate ice cream, with oreos, cookie dough, brownie chunks and hot fudge. I am open to TRYING new and unusual flavors, like on one of those sample spoons. But to sit and pig out, I need my chocolate fix.

I hear this place also has eggnog ice cream in December. I MAY break my chocolate only rule for that.....

plllog thanked amylou321
  • petalique
    last year

Roxanna, sounds good. Raspberry likes chocolate.

I have never used my icecream maker because I’m busy and it want freezer space (the canister).

I’ve let black raspberries grow in a tangle hoping to make an icecream or sorbet, but the catbirds have every one in their site and know exactly the hour that they will be ripe.

Ditto with my blackberries and raspberries.

I would like to try passion fruit (‘caruba’) and also grapefruit sorbet.

In the woods there a ”checkerberries” or wintergreen berries. hmm.

I wonder if Rhubarb will work?

People operating seafood shacks on the coast sometimes offer lobster ice cream, but although I like lobster, as an icecream flavor, I vote thumbs down without even trying it.

plllog thanked petalique
  • Judi
    last year

I don't keep the container in the freezer until the day before I want to use it.

Speaking of blackberries --- I made simple syrup with a cup of them yesterday. Enjoying a cocktail tonight with some syrup, fresh squeezed lime juice, vodka, and a splash of sparkling water! I made my husband's with tequila. Both are delicious!

plllog thanked Judi
  • roxanna
    last year

Petalique -- In York Beach, Maine, the Goldenrod Restaurant (& Pulled-Taffy Emporium) has long had Checkerberry ice cream -- it comes with chocolate chips, and is very tasty. Altho I would not want it often -- once a year is fine!

plllog thanked roxanna