SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhoda_kindred

Help! I hate my New Kitchen Cabinets - Updated I'm starting to love!

Rhoda Kindred
last year
last modified: last year

Update 09/09/2022 : I am starting to love my kitchen. The upper cabinets still aren't anything I like, but I can live with them. The fact that my husband made everything himself, makes me feel special. The kitchen shelves are finally up and it adds so much balance and makes the space 100% better! I can't wait to play around with different looks styling them. We are still discussing adding a cabinet above the fridge, but hubby says it's gonna wait for a year or two, and Im okay with that. He has spent the last year remodeling our whole house by himself while also working 60+ hours a week and definitely needs some down time. I will post new updated pictures with the shelves in the comments. Thank you all for the suggestions.
Ok. So... long story short, hubby just completely remodeled our house over the last year, which included a new kitchen complete with new kitchen cabinets he built himself. I wanted NO upper cabinets and all the rest black. Problem is hubby wants the microwave over the stove and absolutely will not budge on that, so I finally gave in. I wanted a large range hood instead. Next issue. Hubby used black py shades on the base cabinets. The finish was pretty bad. He redone them twice. They are fine for base cabinets, but hubby said the light would hit them on uppers and he wasn't going to do that. Mistake # 2 - he decided to just stain and polyurethane them. I hate the color. It reminds me on 90's honey oak. I actually like two toned kitchens, and mid century modern decor. but i like and wanted my kitchen to look modern. I feel it instead is too much brown and too dated. I can't get rid of them and hubby refuses to refinish them, so I feel I'm backed in a corner without options! Help!Question: is there anyway to get it to look more modern? How can I tie in more black and sophistication?Ps. The trim boards, and kick boards are not installed yet and the wall above the mixer will get two wooden floating shelves installed eventually. The microwave will be moved above the stove per hubbys request.

Comments (77)