SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polarprincess

My kitchen is new but i hate it...(pics) what can i do to improve

polarprincess
14 years ago

This is all my fault.. a couple of years ago before i was into decorating, we gutted our kitchen and i pretty much was able to whatever i wanted within reason.. well i didn't know any better and just went with what everyone else in our area was doing so i went with custom made golden oak cabinets and a white countertop because at the time we were going neutral as we planned to sell..now we have decided we are staying and i hate my kitchen.. i hate the golden oak and the bisque appliances and my husband says they are all too new and we are not restaining or painting them(cabinets) or buying new appliances.. but he is willing to let me change out hardware, the island hanging lamps(we were thinking oil rubbed bronze finish) get a new countertop including granite if i want, a backsplash and paint, and i was thinking maybe some new brown leather barstools.. what suggestions would you all have for any of these ideas? You can see on the one cabinet door i have an oil rubbed bronze handle to see how it looks.. what color would you paint the walls? Would you do a tile backsplash or something else? Would you go granite? If so what color? The floor is a high end vinyl, but new as well and we can't really change that out at this point because we are planning a new addition next year and the kitchen floor will meld into that.. so that has to stay for now at least....oh WHAT was i thinking.. i long for dark cabinets with granite countertops, a wood floor and stainless steel appliances..sigh

Comments (37)

• polarprincess
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i keep telling my husband we should put an ad in the paper to try and sell them..and then start over.. has anyone ever tried this with success?

• pattyk_64
    14 years ago

I think changing the hardware is a good idea, ideally it would be nice to change the countertops, but I can understand you're husband's position on this, it's probably too new. I would take the decoration off the top of the cabinets and paint over the stenciling too, maybe try a color in a similar tone to the oak, because if you're not all that fond of the stain, you don't want to paint a color that will set off the oak. Maybe try the Home Decorating forum for suggestions on that.

If you are thinking about possibly maybe putting in a different countertop down the road, I don't think I'd bother doing a tile backsplash now because you'd probably have to end up ripping it out with the countertop. Just get a paint color in there that you would like, change out the hardware and maybe the chairs and I think it could be quite livable.

• Related Discussions

Help, please! I hate my kitchen! (pic)

Q

Comments (64)
    One day to remove, one day to remake the wall, one day to set, one day to grout...I think that's fair really. It is a time consuming job and you want him to do it carefully so the cabinets and counter aren't damaged in the process. You know, I'd like to suggest something entirely different which you might hate, but I'll do it anyhoo :) DH had your kitchen in his texas place, almost identical in tones so we had to giggle when we saw this post. I see you love earth tones by your pottery etc and you love slate and granite....honey you're wasting your time trying to make the space bright when the things you love are not bright. You just haven't embraced your dark side yet :) Come, step over to the dark side...earth tones and rich stones are devine when accented properly. You need to go with a rich tone on your walls like a brick or deep red, even a really deep green or gold (look to your crocks for inspiration). They'll make your cabinets sing and your stone will become a star. Hang a textured (dupioni or tapestry) drapery on the window top, soft and slouchy because you have so many hard edges) with a rich deep trim on it. CHANGE YOUR LIGHTING!!! You are entirely underlit and the white shades don't work with anything you've got going in your room. Go with beautiful rich amber shades and larger, more prevalent lighting as well as under and upper cabinet lighting (and to do that on the cheap, just put a bunch of christmas light strings on the top of the cabinet scattered about, you'll be amazed how much that helps your gloomy issue here). Embrace the darkside luke...umm I mean susan :) And your lovely kitchen will become a rich paradise you don't mind being in. You're half way there...step over the line :) And remember, a can of paint is WAY cheaper than a new backsplash isn't it? What's the worst thing that can happen???? You paint again. But in DH's kitchen, who everyone said was too dark when he tried to sell initially....I went with a deep umber tone on the walls and it sold three days later to a gal who described it as wonderfully cozy and rich :)
    ...See More

Can't sleep - I think I may hate my newly finished floors (PICS)

Q

Comments (50)
    I am in exactly the same place with my red oak floors :( my floors look just as orange as in the pictures... and the variations and wood grain are much more pronounced than I wanted. I have the flooring company coming in on Monday to put down the third coat of poly - do I have any options at this point? Or just a matter of it mattering less once I get more used to the new color...? I had this same level of shock and discomfort with my wall color (had to leave my apartment for the evening just to soothe myself!), but once they sanded the floors - I realized I loved the wall color, just that my old floor finish was clashing with it. Now after staining the floor - I am back to feeling they really clash... and I really wish I had just opted for no stain and a natural finish instead... I’d take that look over what I now have any day. At least - that’s how it feels right now. To the original poster - @lacollar - (or anyone else with a similar experience) - did you eventually get used to (or even fall in love with?! :)) your floors... even though at first it felt like the choice of stain color was a huge mistake? Has anyone tried tinting the final coat to tone down the orange/reds? Does that work? Appreciate any help/advice. Thank you all!
    ...See More

New construction kitchen-I HATE it!

Q

Comments (29)
    Got home and took some quickie pics with my phone I said I would show you. While not identical, I have beige walls, SW Trusty Tan (6087) and ceiling SW Simplify Beige (6085). The counter top is not the same pattern, obviously, as yours, but it is still grey. It has tiny flecks of white, gold (looks yellow in photo) and the brown, like my cabinets. I thought the brown would show up a lot more to pull in the brown cabinets, but it doesn't. My flooring is porcelain 20x20 travertine look-a-like, the back splash is 4x4 real tumbled Torreon Travertine with buttercream grout (goes on yellow, dries beige-y off white). I have sealed the travertine back splash 2 x in 18 years and it wipes clean with a wet sponge. I also cook with a lot of tomato based dishes-goulash, spagehetti, beef stew, etc. I have 0 stains. My stone was pitted like crazy and the grout fills them in and it is a cinch to keep clean. Seal yours well and you will have easy clean up. Have grease splatters? Dawn soapy water cleans it right up. If you cannot wrap your island right away in wood to make it more furniture like, as some have suggested, you could pop off the existing baseboard, wrap the island in paneling, replace baseboard (may could use existing depending on thickness of paneling or just replace) and paint it or just paint it as is a contrasting color for now. I contrast painted my pantry last year, just for a little change. Bought 2 sample cans of the darkest color on my SW palate, SW Java (6090). My kitchen is not everyone's taste or what they would pick or do, but I like it. It works for me. Go with what works for you. I think what you have chosen will all come together and look great. It is just not complete yet and your touches have not been added.
    ...See More

Kitchen Reno - how can I improve my kitchen?

Q

Comments (24)
    Here is a plan that could work. You could keep the same basic kitchen layout (the appliances work where they are, IMO), just remove some walls to open it up, essentially transforming it into a galley kitchen. Some of my measurements are off and the cabinetry could likely extend a little more to the left as you have it in your plan. On the right of the kitchen, bring in the peninsula and cabinetry so that they end at the wall (otherwise the passageway between the kitchen and pantry becomes too narrow). I would skip the overhang for benches, and fully use the space for storage and extra counter space. Remove the uppers above the peninsula. Remove the pantry around the fridge and add uppers and more counter space on that wall between the fridge and range. I would consider mounting a small TV in the kitchen somewhere, on a full motion/swivel wall mount so that you can push it against the wall when not in use. Or use a tablet computer, and get a stand/mount for it. Removing the hall in front of the bedrooms and bathroom, and the overhang for the peninsula, gives you enough space and clearance to add a pantry and more cabinetry, or just a wider pantry and no cabinetry. Alternatively, you could also place a desk, wine bar or message center against this wall. Moving the entrance closet by the front door provides separation, no more "walking into a big room" feeling, and improves the flow between the living room and kitchen. It also give you a wall for your tv, making it easier to lay out your living room. I would replace the wall unit and purchase one that is less substantial. Consider mounting the TV on the wall and having a unit underneath, and maybe shelves on each side. Do you currently use your living room or your family room more often? I would suggest making the larger one the family room, and the smaller one with the fireplace into the more formal living room or sitting room. Mounting the TV above the fireplace (or removing it altogether) also makes that room much easier to lay out. The master bedroom door is in a awkward location in terms of natural flow. Even in an open space, it would make more sense to have it accessible through the "hall" passing from the entrance between the kitchen and family room.
    ...See More
  • rhome410
    14 years ago

Too bad he won't consider letting you paint or stain the cabinets, because people here have had tremendous success with that. However, with new counters, a backsplash, paint, hardware and lighting, and new stools, your kitchen will look like a new room. (Maybe choose a counter you'll like with the oak and with a darker stain, hoping for changing his mind later.)

The brass, the stools, and the border (along with the matching vine) are what really date the room, I think.

Gray, a gray blue, a gray-green (olive or sage), or a cocoa brown (one that will coordinate with the golden oak...no pinkish tone) could all look good on the walls. Since you have the option of granite countertops, maybe visit a granite yard and see what you like. --And look in every kitchen book and magazine to see what overall look appeals to you.

Have you see the Finished Kitchens Blog? Below is a link to a list of oak kitchens found there. It may be a place to start to see some gorgeous kitchens with oak cabinets...Some, like yours, were the old cabinets with updates done around them. They won't all be the same tone as your oak, but some are. Just click on the names to see photos of each.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak kitchens in Finished Kitchens Blog

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

my sister put oak cabinets in her new house about 1.5 yrs ago - and with her granite it's awesome. I need to get a pic of her granite... it's swirls with gold, black, some ylw I think and white (or cream). gorgeous granite!!

do you live in AZ?? I'm looking for appliances in bisque...I'm remodeling in late fall/winter (when AZ cools down again). I'm getting oak cabs also w/bronze. tho, when the other stuff is done, you might not mind the bisque so much. doesn't show prints like SS and black!

I agree with taking down the greenery, the border print at the top, changing the hardware (the bronze is awesome on oak)
    change out the chairs for bronze based stools. wasn't there a kitchen recently posted with beautiful dark stools - from somewhere like Costco? don't remember which board I saw it on tho. she had a TV on her stove vent... if a pattern/color on cushions, wait til you pick out the granite. Same with picking out the backsplash.
    changing the gold fixtures to bronze will really update your kitchen soooo much, you'll love it!

I'll see if my sister will email a pic of her granite w/ her oak cabs. She does have brushed nickel fixtures (or SS?) on cabs, faucets etc. looks good too!

what's your vinyl? I'm looking for a good light tone vinyl. sheet vinyl if possible and non glued.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I think desertsteph was talking about crazyhouse6's stools - here's her kitchen.

I love oak, think your cabinets are very nice. But you've got to lose the ivy (painted and plastic!). I can't wait to add crwon molding to mine. It would look more updated if your DH would let you remove the wooden valance over the sink and just run the crown to the wall on those sides cabinets. Hopefully you'll be able to use the crown that's over the valance for the 2ft you need, but if not, being fairly new, you should be able to get matching without too much trouble. ORB looks great. I did brushed nickel with my oak. I would change out the faucet too.

harriethomeowner and crazyhouse6 both have Giallo Ornamental granite with oak and looks great. As far as paint, it would help to see the rest of the room - do the barstools back up to a family room? What flooring/furniture colors do you have in there?

My 2-yr old kitchen in progress (pardon the mess, all these pics were taken as I was trying to organize drawers and such)

{{gwi:1702991}}

{{gwi:1696250}}

Mockup of crown near sink/window - you can see casing is stained but not up yet!

{{gwi:1448178}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Crazyhouse6's kitchen

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

As anxious as you are to get going (and I totally understand that) I respectfully suggest you wait till you do your addition. Unless you know EXACTLY how that's going to play out you can't be sure how it's going to impact color choices, material choices, and the overall look of the kitchen. Plus... once all that demo and building is going on, your hubby might change his mind about an inexpensive though labor intensive project like restaining your cabs darker. I know waiting is hard.

• polarprincess
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The waiting IS hard especially since this remodel project was all set for last summer..it was ready to start in 2 weeks and then i was diagnosed with cancer and spent the summer in surgery and just finished chemo and radiation.My prognosis is excellent but The local fire dept put on a benefit for us, even though we said we were ok and so we cannot do it this year either because we feel it would be tacky right after having a benefit..but i am anxious to do something..so i really want to make the changes in the kitchen or sell these cabinets like i said.. around here the golden oak is still the cabinet of choice....people are not too sophisticated.. and no i don't live in Arizona..i am up north!
    I think my husband would maybe go for a new island because the one i had could go in my craft room..i love crazyhorse's white one.. that is beautiful!
    ajsmama..i will see what hubby says about moving the wooden valance..love where your kitchen is going!! of course i do plan on removing the ivy stuff..i hate it too..

as far as the room... straight across from the windows behind the barstools it leads out into the patio.. to the left of the barstools is an open dining room and living room where my furniture is an olive green color..however..when we do add on, that whole space will be closed off and turned into a master bedroom and bath and we would be adding on a new living/dining where the patio is now...we can repaint then too if we have to.. i just want to do something fresh and new now...
    here is a link to the barstools i was thinking about...i do love the ones crazyhorse's kitchen too.. would they be too much for my kitchen??

Here is a link that might be useful: brown leather look barstool

• polarprincess
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i was just thinking as well.. i had never thought of using brushed nickel or stainless type hardware because it seems bronze would go better with the warm oak tone..but if i plan to switch to stainless steel eventually when these appliances wear out.. would i be better off going with that? I just don't know!! My floor doesn't show well in the pics but is actually really nice and has brown tones in it..so brown barstools, bronze hardware, painted walls in some brown tone... seems like it would all work... ???

• footballmom
    14 years ago

All of the homes in our neighborhood are custom. Not high end, but middle of the road. When a neighbor was going to list her home for sale, she had oak cabinets, laminate counters and backsplash and brass hardware and lights. She did a tile backsplash, granite tile counters and changed all of the brass to ORB. The new people who bought the house have stained what sold them on the house was the kitchen. Not everyone hates oak and not all changes need to be expensive. You have a great layout and the cabinets look nice. The appliances are not a turnoff to many( sorry they are to you) but many on this board who are doing high end kitchens are doing white appliances, so don't dispair.
    Just change out the things that date the kitchen like the lights, hardware and counters/backsplash. Get new stools then as you can easily buy a few different ones and see how they look. Try not to get into just changing things just for a change. It is hard on the pocketbook and the marriage.
    I really think a few updates will make a world of difference in an otherwise great space. You should try to find the thread of the kitchen that would not sell and the 328.00 update. It will blow your mind on what a few changes can do. G

• teppy
    14 years ago

if you really want darker cabs, minwax makes a polycrylic varnish that has color in it. from what i understand, all you do is paint it on. i have not used it though. if he is willing to let you paint walls, do you think you might convince him to let you just add a varnish coat to the cabs? that would give you dark wood cabinets that you want.

I agree with everyone else, take down that vine and paint the stenciling. i hate plasticky plants/flowers, but i love decorating with greenery/florals. you should google 'preserved topiary'. these are real plants or florals that have been preserved. they are not dried, they feel alive and and are very green. i'm not sure how they do it, but they will last for 10 years or more. anyway, its an option to silks.

some new barstools would help out too. i had some very similar with my oak cabinets for years.

• joann23456
    14 years ago

Since you're going to remodel, I would spend almost nothing, but go for elbow grease.

The look you want is more sophisticated and streamlined, so the first thing I'd do is to remove the foliage from on top of the cabinets. Then I'd remove the wallpaper border. I also agree with Ajsmama - I'd remove the valance that goes over the sink, and let the crown molding die into the wall. (There would then be nothing over the sink.) Take all the decorative stuff off the counter and as much of the utilitarian stuff as you have room to store elsewhere. All of this costs nothing.

Then, I'd choose a paint color that works with the rest of your house. Since you have olive in another room (and since green is my favorite color), I would choose a medium-toned olive. You can choose anything you like, but I wouldn't go with a light color. I'd try to match the tone of the cabinets. The dream kitchen you're carrying in your mind is darker, anyway.

For the hardware and the lights, why not see whether you can get an acceptable finish with spray paints? I'd try Krylon Dark Anodized Bronze, which gives a terrific ORB finish. If that didn't work, I might try a dark brown, then sponge or stipple it with black and metallic bronze. You may not get it to work, but for $10 or less for paints, I sure would try. If you have a good paint store in your area, they'll help you create the finish.

Personally, I wouldn't change out the island or the stools until you do the rest of the remodel, as Remodelfla says. You don't want to end up with something you like, but which doesn't harmonize with the rest of the room.

Good luck. I agree with the others who say that your cabinets aren't the problem. They may not be what you'd buy now, but they're simple and you can work with them.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

polar... you can certainly mix finishes on hardware, applicances, faucets, and the like.

Most importantly, a HUGE congratulations on your now healthy prognosis. What could be better then that!

• rosema12
    14 years ago

I agree w/ the others that the brass and the stenciling makes it look outdated. I think updating the hardware and painting the walls a warmer color and doing some nice backsplash will make a huge difference. and changing out the bar stools. I think a bronze will look nice and yes you can mix. my kitchen will be dark cherry cabs, w/ brushed nickel hardware but my light fixtures are all bronze as i love a more traditional look. the brushed nickel was better for the darker cabinets.. and the stainless appliances. so i agree you can mix.. the counters would def make a diff but just doing those other things will make a huge diff to and change up the decorations a bit..

• stretchad
    14 years ago

I think that the stencil and the ivy dates the kitchen right away.

First thing I'd probably do is paint, because painting is so easy and cheap and can be changed easily if the color isn't working. However, given that I've got a TON of golden oak in my home, make sure you choose a paint color that does not have any purple or blue undertones to it. If you choose a green color, make sure that it is not a blue-ish gray. The blue/purple undertones in a paint color will just cause your cabinetry to look even more orange. Try to identify a paint color with orange/yellow/red/warm color undertones.
    It Will make the cabinets a little less prominent.

I'm considering Sherwin Williams Blonde color, which is a yellowish/golden color to paint my kitchen with oak cabinetry to tide me over for another year :-)

• harriethomeowner
    14 years ago

I agree with everyone about the stencil, the ivy, the brass, and the chairs. I was feeling kind of the same way -- why did I pick this oak? If I had it to do over again, I'd have chosen something else. But I don't hate it. I think the colors and patterns in the wood are pretty.

Here's my kitchen with golden oak, Giallo Ornamental granite, white appliances, and brushed stainless hardware:

Backsplash is going to be creamy marble subway tiles. Floor and wall color -- tbd, but both currently white. Our ceiling is too low for any kind of hanging light fixture. We have a small ceiling fixture (this was pre-granite):

• fran1523
    14 years ago

I don't understand what people have against oak and personally I love your stenciling. A great paint color, new countertops and hardware will make a big difference.

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

Let me take a flight of fantasy
    "If this were my kitchen and about $1000"

DIY changes
    1. Paint the cabinets. They look well made and great condition so why change them. I usually detest painting wood but oak has been become dreaded for some reason.

2. Keep the appliances

3. Keep the flooring

4. Paint over the stenciling

5. Remove the fakery

6. Redo the counters with 24x24 granite tiles. You can buy a tile saw for $100. Granite tiles runs less than $10/sq ft

7. Replace the hardware with stainless steel knobs or pulls (ebay)

8. Replace the pendants with newer ones , blown glass etc. (ebay)

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

I think your kitchen is very pleasant to look at and has a nice layout. I think you will be so surprised at how little changes will update it. Like was already said if you remove stencil,paint, change hardware and light fixtures and get a granite counter top it will look grand! You can certainly mix finishes. I have ORB hardware and light fixtures, stainless appliances that we replaced as needed and a chrome faucet. Most importantly is your health so please put yourself first before any kind of major remodel till you are up to it. There are so many decisions to make and living under construction can be draining. Stay well.

• brutuses
    14 years ago

You have a very pretty kitchen and with some simple updates, minus painting cabinets and replacing the counter, it could look fabulous. Just follow the advice others have given here. I don't need to repeat it, it's all good.

• sapphirestitch
    14 years ago

I don't usually comment in this forum because I don't have a kitchen remodel underway...but I have to say this: It sounds like you liked your kitchen when you chose it. What changed?

Your perceptions of what is popular might have changed. Also you perhaps found out about some options you didn't know about when you did the kitchen. But that's going to keep happening, it happens to all of us. If you got your dark cabinets, granite, stainless, etc...who knows what will be the next hot trend that will suddenly look a whole lot better?

The other thing I'm reading between the lines (and if this is totally off-base feel free to yell at me, okay?) is that you've just been through treatment for a very scary disease. Your prognosis is good and you're going on with life...but maybe redoing this kitchen would be a symbolic thing for you? Maybe the oak cabinets, etc are tied together in your mind with some very hard times you've been through?

I also think you're very right to be sensitive to the feelings of the people who did the benefit for you...even if you didn't need the money. In this economy some people may have sacrificed to do something for you, and maybe you need to honor that with contentment for the time being.

It's not popular right now to say you like Oak, but there are some of us out here who will always like it even when it's declared to be out of style. Some of us think it's due to come back in style in a big way very soon. Your oak cabinets are the GOOD ones, the classic well-made ones. You could just join our exclusive little club of oak-lovers and be way ahead of the trend in a couple of years when the people with dark cabinets are trying to figure out how to lighten them and create patterns on them. :)

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Congratulations on the good prognosis. Maybe sapphire detected something the rest of us didn't, and you just feel the need for a change? I'm an oak lover as you can tell, and while I haven't gone through anything like what you have, I discovered GW and found I wasn't satisfied with the kitchen I designed for new build 2 years ago. Nothing major, but wished that I had figured a way to do cabinets to add an arched "mantel" type range hood instead of the slatted English Country one, had spice pullouts on upper either side, etc. Looking at all these beautiful kitchens can do that to you LOL!

But if you really need a change and don't like the "country" look so much any more, just paint the walls. Add the new hardware and lighting if you can do so inexpensively since your neighbors just did a benefit for you and may have postponed some of their renos to contribute. I don't know how much barstools are, if those aren't much consider replacing the ones you have with something lighter and airier (though maybe darker color metal). Hold off with the countertops and backsplash since those are the major expense items, but look around and get a feel for what you might like - maybe do it (and finance it) with your addition later. You might even try painting the laminate counters if you absolutely hate them and might be replacing them soon (I'm not sure how durable the paint would be). There is a thread on Home Decorating about a Kitchen Blog where owner painted (aged) walls, cabinets, and counters.

Painting walls isn't a big deal if you an DIY even if you have to repaint after the addition. If you think it wouldn't be too much to ask right after the benefit, and you can't DIY, maybe you could ask for help painting as a "pick me up" - I'm sure people would be happy to give of their time.

Take care!

• danielle00
    14 years ago

I don't think the cabinets are bad and the configuration isn't a disaster either. I'd get rid of the ivy border and ivy above the cabinets, spring for some new appliances, & change out the countner and floor-- I think the overall look of the kitchen is lacking... the cabinets are OK. Soapstone looks great with Oak.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I'll agree with Mr. P 90% or so...except to say that if you're really "up north" in a land where everyone has oak cabinets (I'm guessing North Pole AK?) than you can't include granite counters in a 1000 budget. Granite tiles are so close to the cost of slab granite here it's not worth the effort and you can only get them at a couple of Personally I'd go dark, and if budget is an issue make that a black, or go with the lovely gold hue you see above with the oak (beautiful). Add a beautiful tile backsplash in a complimentary color, ie soft golds or beige tones that will flow with your granite....or if you can go black on the counters with the green (what's that granite folks?) than a gorgeous green subway backsplash would rock, and a faublous green paint. Then throw in the ORB knobs/handles and you'll have a new kitchen.

If you're closer to anchorage, I have some gorgeous travertine I'm going to sell for a rediculously low price at a garage sale next weekend that would make a wonderful backsplash (I'm not trying to break the rules on selling things...They'll be so cheap they'll sell anyhoo, so I'm just mentioning it if it would help the OP). They're cut to 6x6 squares but could be cut again to 3x6 subways easily. And you could do that with any tile by the way :)

I wouldn't paint your walls brown. For a couple of reasons...(And I love brown dear so don't think I'm against it!) For a kitchen it's lovely on cabinets, but overwhelming on the walls. To go lighter you'll be competing in a bad way with the cabinets. And finally, because it's not the best way to show off oak. You'll be happier with earth tones, which compliment oak in all the right ways, ie golds, oranges and greens. LOL Ok if you are near Anchorage I will GIVE you enough venetian plaster to do the kitchen in a soft gold if you want it (I ordered it from Italy and wasn't able to do the plaster in my kitchen because I broke my arm). Gorgeous stuff and would look wonderful with that oak :)

Now on that cancer bit...I want to add a huge HORRAY for you in beating the evil beast! Thats a big deal :) The fact that you're back with enough energy to want to rip out a kitchen is a pretty wonderful statement of your health. My dearest friend has been dealing with lukemia for years now and she's always my hero when it comes to life's challenges.

As to the fund raiser that was done...I'd just like to share my 2c on that if it's ok? I have donated to that type of function many times, and organized a couple as well. They're wonderful things that a community can do to show it cares, as you well know. But sometimes it leaves the recipient feeling somewhat beholden to that same community. As someone on the giving side, verses the receiving side, I'd like to assure you that I'm not watching those recipients with a spy glass and making sure they're not doing anything for themselves ever again. In fact I want to see that a family who has benefited from something like that do two things...one, recover to the best of their abilities (you've done that and it means a lot to the people who support you!) and secondly...get on with life :) Build your addition and have a huge BBQ Thank you for those who gave of their hearts :) The fact that they gave to help you does not mean they don't want to see you prosper in the future. I wouldn't start a remodel on the day you cashed the checks from their benefit, then never seek treatment :) But that's not what has happened here. I think you'll find no one judges you at all for moving on in a positive way :)

Horray again!!!!

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

Well said igloochic! You go girl Polar!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

"and no i don't live in Arizona..i am up north! "

well dagnabit! then I can't help you by buying the bisque appliances from you...but someone up near you might be thrilled to get a good price on them or to just be finding a good set of bisque appliances. there are weirdos like me all over the country - lol!

and i still like your floor - even if you are keeping it - lol! is it vinyl? made by?

it's so good to hear things are going good healthwise. what a blessing that has to be! I expect you're busting at the seams to leave that behind an move forth with your life.

how about spray painting some of your handles ORB and some brushed nickel (or whatever else might be an option), replacing them (maybe some on each side of the room) and living with them for a few wks to see what you and dh think of each option? spray them with a protective coating also - in satin finish or matte.

I'd try to paint the walls a color - like a green since you obviously like green. It's a nature color and would put some color into the beige/brown/gold of the room.

live with a few of the changes for a month or so and see where to go from there.

and post pics of the changes for us!

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Polar, great news about your health!

I won't repeat what others have said (all great suggestions), but I do wonder one thing. You mentioned that you were originally moving and now you're staying. For how long? If it's a shorter time frame, I wouldn't paint the oak cabs, as you say that is the norm in your neighbourhood. You may spend money to get a more sophisticated look that won't help when it comes to selling.

Having said that, even if you are staying for a short period of time, you should definitely try some of the suggestions above to make you happier with your kitchen. I've posted a thread below that got quite a bit of play a while ago; it was how one poster updated her "kitchen that wouldn't sell" for $308. Lots of great ideas and good before/after pix.

Good luck and stay healthy!
    Eliz

Here is a link that might be useful: $308 Kitchen Update

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Hi Polarprincess,

Good news to hear that you kicked cancer. Keep
    up the good health. Now is your turn to be good
    to you. No guilt about receiving kindness from
    others. Everyone wants you to live long and be
    the wonderful person you are.

I think your kitchen is lovely. The green vines
    could easily be changed along with the stencil.
    I change my kitchen all the time with a new paint color.

This is your chance to be creative and have fun.

What is your favorite color?
    Today as you look around your closet or even in
    magazines. What is the color you enjoy right now?

I am red girl. If this were my kitchen I would change
    it in a bold way. Red walls! Some on GW might scream.
    But since I like red, I know it would work for me.
    Your color will work for you too. I love red and
    chocolate so I would personally buy those kitchen
    chairs from Target.

Change the hardware and a new area rug.

Here are some kitchens I thought were pretty and
    in the same family of cabinet colors as yours.
    Oh they have a few extra features. Hoods or moulding
    or even different counters.
    You have the good fortune to have bisque appliances
    neutral floors and counters to work with. I truly
    think whatever color you enjoy will work without
    spending lots of money.

Enjoy the pics.
    ~Boxerpups

This was from a link that says PetraRock homes
    I love the red with the maple

Do you like the green with maple?
    I know you like the green vines so maybe green
    would work for you.

The possibilities are endless. You kicked
    cancer now you can enjoy your good health and
    get creative.

I like the red here too. And the simple
    darker stain on the moulding is really interesting.
    This chocolate color might bring your target kitchen stools to be the star of the room.

• sawmill
    14 years ago

Dear Polar Princess,
    I am happy to read of your recent survivorship and a getting new lease on life.

I think your oak cabinets look very well made and can be a star with some new accessories. Oak is a timeless, beautiful wood.

Here are the changes I would try for minimal cost:

1) As has been mentioned numerous times: remove the stenciling & ivy to freshen the look.

2) If you can easily remove the light bridge over the sink and add molding to the top of the 2 cabinets where it connected, that will also modernize the look, as previous poster suggested, for not much money.

3) Backsplash: Provide Maximum sizzle and splash, which will transform the kitchen with a shimmering glass tile mosaic. See link below as example. Your area is not big, so you could pull this off for only $200 to $250 in materials.

4) Definitely bring in the brown leather bar stools you like or even something very modern in style as a contrast.

5) Counter tops: white laminate is not necessarily bad. In fact, if you add a shimmering glass backsplash that is a nice counterpoint to the white counters, you may find they are now more pleasing to you, without going to the expense of adding granite. You already know how easy to maintain your laminate counters are. You might jazz them up with some interesting place mats or update your centerpiece to be more in keeping with the brown leather & mosaics.

6) Window valence: maybe replace the lace look with something more tailored to complement the new backsplash and stools.

7) Wall paint: See how the backsplash changes the look and decide if you want to add wall color or not.

8) If you still yearn for SS appliances, check into changing out the front panels of the frig and dishwasher with SS. Don't think that is possible with the stove. I would really keep the bisque because they will look nice with the new backsplash as well.

The link is from a larger website with many different choices of mosaic color combinations. The featured one is Anima because I think it would complement your while/bisque and oak and brown leather. Also check out several of the Spectralight (with and without El Dorado), Shimmerfly (one is Honey Pearl)and others which might complement your adjacent room colors.

Good luck with all your decisions. We celebrate that you are here to make them!

Anna Lee F

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass tile backsplash

• sawmill
    14 years ago

I just came upon the extension of the above link within the Anima tile from Susan Jabion Mosiacs, a link with multiple color combinations of Anima. Follow it alphabetically to Urban Stainless. With this, you get the current look of browns and black, neutrals AND pops of Stainless Steel. There's your bling that marries all your elements without tossing out good stuff! See what you think!

Here is a link that might be useful: Anima - scroll down to Urban Stainless

• queenofmycastle0221
    14 years ago

I am right there with you! In my situation it is my dh who is not well, therefore any honeydos are out of the question. I have big dreams and a small budget on doing anything about mine and paying labor is impossible.

Anyway, I was pondering through the local Lowes yesterday and came across the paint that is made just for laminate and then the paint that is made to paint appliances to look like stainless. I think they were both made by rustoleum. The laminate paint could be tinted in the store it said. I would love to try it on my hunter green. I just wish mine didn't have the roll on the back!

I could live with my honey spice oak cabinets but my layout sucks!

Good Luck!
    Alicia

• judy9876
    14 years ago

I think you should add some glass tile to the backsplash. It will add alot to your kitchen. You can find many good deals online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northeastern Tile

• polarprincess
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow! Thanks everyone for the fantastic suggestions, advice, and nice thoughts...to answer some of the questions.. i am from minnesota but really wishing i was from alaska!! thanks for offering that stuff to me though!! Also, i am pretty sure my floor was congoleum ultima collection but i cannot remember for sure.. i have added a pic below of a close up..also a pic of a kitchen with a grayish olive kind of color i am thinking would look nice to paint it..seems like everyone agrees to get rid of the fake greenery..what else can i put up there or should i just leave it empty?..
    Some of you are probably right in thinking part of this has to do with my diagnosis, and in a way that does make me want to proceed sooner to have something new and fresh.. but also i am one of those people that has great visions of decorating and i can pick out a beautiful room but i just cannot create it on my own..i am tortured by all the options of paint and flooring etc..and when i try to imagine how i want it..it just never turns out quite right.. so seems like i spend my life always wanting more..if only candace olson or nate berkus would just come and fix me up LOL it sure would take away some of my stress...the one material thing i have always wanted is a beautiful house.. and i am 43 years old now..have worked hard so i could afford to do so within reason, but i just don't seem to quite get it right....In all reality maybe it is becaus if i could truly have the house of my dreams, it would be a cozy log cabin as i live on a lake with the perfect backdrop for it..
    Thanks for the posted pics.. LOVE all the kitchens... and the ideas... now i also have to think about brushed nickel as well as it too looks great with the golden oak colors...sigh..decisions.. decisions..but you have all made it all easier

• polarprincess
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i also will check out all the sites for the backsplashes.. thanks for all of those... and to answer the question about moving.. we plan to stay permanently......so lowes has paint to paint the counter tops? and appliances? I have an old fridge in the garage i could try it on.. that is cool...i definitely need to check that out and also the spray paint some of you have talked about for the harware..do they actually have an oil rubbed bronze spraypaint finish? i have never seen it anywhere...

• joann23456
    14 years ago

Polarprincess, I think you ought to print out that picture and take it to the paint store and have them match it. You like it, and it looks good. I so know what you mean about agonizing over the details. I just got a gallon of C2 "Kiwi" mixed, and gasped out loud at how bright it appeared. Fortunately, the paint store told me that if I tried a coat and didn't like it, I could bring back the rest of the paint and they'd grey it or lighten it or whatever I want to make it better for me.

I've never seen oil rubbed bronze spray paint, but the Krylon Dark Anodized Bronze is pretty close. If your hardware and the strips on the lights are real brass, you could also try a brass-darkening solution (sold at art supply stores, or check out Rockler.com). If your hardware is lacquered, you'd have to remove that finish first. As I said, a good paint store could also help. If you lived in my town, I'd take you to Waters & Brown, and they'd help you figure out how to get the ORB finish you want!

Personally, since I don't particularly love doing this stuff, I'd try the spray paint. I mean, what do you have to lose? And, as someone else said, spray on some sort of protective finish if it works.

BTW, I just did a quick Google search, and there are lots of articles and discussions out there about changing the look of metal to ORB. Here's a link to one that seems good.

Here is a link that might be useful: getting an ORB finish

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

You could put rope lighting where the plants are at now, if it would be hidden behind the crown moulding. For an inexpensive installation, all you have to do is plug them into an extension cord up top, then run the wire down the backside of the cabinets--there might be a space where they meet in the back--just big enough to run the wire (without the plug). The cord just pops out below your cabinets, and you would have to reconnect the plug. We did this and it looks pretty good. It always gave a great effect. We are renovating our kitchen now and these lights will be hardwired to a switch.

I am right in the middle of painting our oak cabinets. Just applied second coat of primer last night. Took me a week to apply 2 coats of wood grain filler to every door. It really works! Can't wait to start the final finish this weekend. Good luck, and your cabinets are very nice--mine were very ugly dark brown builder grade oak. Ick.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Polarprincess - I was thinking about you the other day - please come back and let us know how you (and your kitchen) are doing!