SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_696730168

Seniorgal - news

Seniorgal
last year

Hello Kitchen Tablers

If you have been around a while, you may remember someone named Seniorgal, who posted here occasionally.

I am her daughter, and I report here with sadness , that she passed away on June 21 2022, at age 99.

She always said she didn't want to be 100, so she was ready to go, and went peacefully with family around her.

One of her requests was that we let the Kitchen Table know of her passing.

She didn't post a lot, but let me tell you, she really did love reading her "message board" , as she referred to it using the old terminology. You were all like friends to her, and she liked to follow certain threads, and some others not so much.

I'd sometimes get a frantic phone call that she had messed something up and couldn't read the Kitchen Table any more, and could I help her get it back. (which I did).

Her computer skills had deteriorated in the last 8 months or so, and I don't think she posted anything here, or maybe even read it often, but I'm still fulfilling her last wishes to let you know.

At one time she had even been writing on a blog, in case any of you had read it. She hadn't posted in several years, but I'll put a link here anyway in case you want to look. We will shut it down soon, but you can still have a gander until then.

https://reets22.wordpress.com/

Thanks to all of you who 'knew' her, and know that she enjoyed the discussions here.

Keep them up. You never know who might be out there.

-seniorgal daughter

Comments (84)

• PRO
    MDLN
    last year

Thank you for letting us know. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I've been here since 2013, enjoyed and will miss her contributions. I remember being so surprised when she mentioned her age; I imagined her to be in early 60s.

I just read the first, actually last, entry in her blog and hope you will keep it up a while. I look forward to reading it all.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

She seemed to be a gentle soul with the gift of simple eloquence in describing her many life experiences.

• Related Discussions

New Post on My Web Page

Q

Comments (3)
    I do not know whether to post here or over at reets22. Whatever location is correct, you are so good at biographing (sp) parts of your life. You have really captivated me, I look forward to reading more of your blog. Sidnee
    ...See More

A new story

Q

Comments (2)
    What a great story. The end is fabulous. Are you showing your stuff to family? I would have loved knowing such details of my mother's or grandmother's life.
    ...See More

Posted a new story

Q

Comments (11)
    I'm so glad you are continuing your stories. I had many bedtime stories about my mother's life on a farm, but can always use more tales of growing up in an America very different from today. My mother's stories date back farther than yours. She was born in 1905 -- despite the 1907 on her driver's license. (My MIL was another 'deceiver', having lopped five years off her 1896 birthdate.) My mother was an only child and grew up on a tiny farm in rural Rhode Island. MIL's family were Danish immigrants who moved their young family from a sod house in Iowa to establish a farm in Minnesota. She was one of seven. My mother attended a one-room school with an attendance that varied depending on the need for farm labor. My MIL -- like you -- taught in a small school for a year; then she trained as a nurse. One Christmas my mother received *an orange* -- and was delighted and amazed. Our DS could use a shovel to move the clutter of toys in our granddaughter's play area.
    ...See More

Seniorgal 97!!!

Q

Comments (51)
    Seniorgal, Im glad you had a nice birthday and were remembered by so many. My mom turned 102 last week. She’s doing okay, in her own home with lots of help from us. I do wish she’d had the sense to move when she was younger, but it’s too late now. I know she is lonely, with all her friends and family gone. I admire your good attitude. Are you keeping up with your blog?
    ...See More
  • Jasdip
    last year

I certainly remember Seniorgal!

I always admired the fact that she had mastered the computer, and her writing skills. She did more on the computer by contributing here and I'm sure in other social forums, not to mention her blog than some people I know decades younger.

Thank you so much for taking the time and letting us know of her passing. 99 is quite a milestone!

My sincere condolences Marcia.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year
    last modified: last year

So sorry to see this news. Thank you for letting people know. May she rest in peace. She seemed like a wise and very thoughtful person.

And is it ever not terribly hard to lose one's mother, no matter what? My mom made it to 91, and I felt completely unmoored when she passed - often still do.

Also many thanks for the link to her blog - I wish you were not going to close it, the stories I read there so far are wonderful! I wish I had time to read them all before they disappear. I'm sure many people would find them as delightful as I have.

• stacey_mb
    last year

Sincere sympathies to you and your family. I am sad to hear that Seniorgal has passed away and I always loved reading the stories that she posted. I hope that I'm as adept with using a computer as she was at that age, and I'm mindful of the fact that computers didn't even exist for a large part of her life.

• amicus
    last year

My condolences to you and your sisters, on the passing of your mother. But I know she lived a long and very interesting, fulfilling life and passed at the time she felt suited her best, it seems! I loved reading her posts and enjoyed her blog as well. The first time your mother mentioned her age, I was shocked, as I'd somehow assumed she was my age, early sixties. I guess that's because I wouldn't have pictured someone in their 90's bothering to join an online forum, but I was wrong, and happy I was, because reading her accounts was our great pleasure. She will be missed.

• maifleur03
    last year

Sad news for both you and us but she got her wish not to live to be 100. She will be missed.

• Alisande
    last year

Like others, I remember her well. Thank you for letting us know, I don't know your reasons for wanting to shut down your mother's blog, but I hope you'll reconsider. Blogs are meant to have a wide audience, and as a blogger myself I think it's likely your mom was writing to be read. When I'm gone I hope my blogs will live on.

My sympathy to you and your family.

• kathyg_in_mi
    last year

So sorry to hear that your Mom has passed. But she was ready and to know that is special. She will be missed here at the KT.

• salonva
    last year

I am so sorry to read this, but thank you for letting us know. I realized from her screen name that she was "older" but I was totally shocked when she shared her age. I know people 20 years younger that could not do half of what she did on the ocmputer.

My condolences. May her memory be a blessing.

• H B
    last year

My sympathies to you and your family. I really enjoyed reading your Mom's posts and as many others, was impressed by her stories, storytelling, and vibrancy. She was a very impressive online person and will be missed. Godspeed.

• colleenoz
    last year

I am so very sorry to read this, please accept and pass on to Seniorgal’s loved ones my heartfelt condolences. She was always so interesting and engaged, and I loved reading her stories.

I’m also sorry to hear that you’re planning to shut down her blog. Would you consider leaving it up? It is a great resource for learning how regular, not famous, people lived in a time we are fast losing touch with.

• wildchild2x2
    last year

My condolences on your loss. I loved reading her posts and hearing her stories.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

I’m very sorry to hear about your Mom, Marcia. I remember Seniorgal and her lovely stories about her younger days. I will certainly look forward to reading her blog, so thank you for the link. I’m glad she was surrounded by her loved ones in her final days.

I have a 96 year old aunt. She and my mother were very close and I enjoy visiting her and recalling good times from the past.

• bragu_DSM 5
    last year

Thots and prayers. She was a treasure ...

• Suzieque
    last year

I’m so sorry to read this. She was a beloved treasure here and will be well remembered. RIP, dear friend.

• gadgets
    last year

I don't read a whole lot of the threads anymore, but I always opened up one of your mothers. She certainly will be missed by all who knew her here. She was a blessing.

• Cherryfizz
    last year

I am saddened to read this. I had noticed your Mom hadn't been posting and was hoping it wasn't because she had passed on. What a long life your Mom led and the experiences she must of had. I am happy you had her in your life for so long. Your Mom will be missed. Sending you and your family my deepest confolences.

• lily316
    last year

I am so sorry to hear this sad news. My condolences to you and your sisters. I loved reading your mother's stories of back in the day. Mentally she was like a 50-year-old. She wrote so well and was so interesting in relaying stories of the past. We will surely miss her here. Take care.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    last year

Oh, I'm so sorry. My condolences to you and her entire family. I know that at her age, her passing was not a surprise, but I also know that you are never ready to lose your mother. Such a good, long run of life and so wonderful that she was alert and mentally active until nearly the end. Her posts were always interesting.

• Uptown Gal
    last year

I am so sorry...I remember her well. Please accept my condolences and a prayer and hug for

coping for you and your family. She was a treasure.

• hounds_x_two
    last year

I am so sorry for your sad loss. She was indeed a rare treasure, and will certainly be missed.

• Ninapearl
    last year

i'm so sorry for your loss. your mom was such a joy and she will be missed. i hope you get some measure of comfort knowing how many people enjoyed knowing her over the years. 💖

• petalique
    last year

I remember Seniorgal and her thoughtful and intresting posts.

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

And thank you, daughter, for offering a link to her column. She writes in such a delightful way. Her recollection of the prom and H is very moving — I was not expecting the conclusion.

• socks
    last year

She was a treasured member and will be missed. I remember her stories. RIP, Seniorgal. You enriched our lives.

• marilyn_c
    last year

My sincerest condolences. Thank you for letting us know

• marcia
    last year

To those of you who suggested leaving the blog up: I will look into that. I know zero about the account and how it works, so I assumed it would have to close if the account holder was removed. I will see what I can do to leave the stories there, or somewhere at least. Who knows, maybe I can become a blogger, ha. (Seriously not my skill, and are blogs even a thing nowadays?)
    Thanks again for all the kind words.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    last year

This is a big loss for our little community. She made a strong impact with many of us and she will be much missed.

Seniorgal was a fascinating person and I was always so grateful that she shared her life stories with us. I, too, ask that you reconsider shutting down her blog. Her stories, so well written, need to be read and re-read for many years to come.

I've read most of the contents of her blog to the two young girls who live next door to me and who have become a part of my life. Those stories became the fuel for many conversations, especially during those months when schools were closed down.

• katlan
    last year

I would also like to say that you are very welcome to join us on a regular basis Marcia, if you are interested.

• Rusty
    last year

My deepest sympathy for your loss. Thank you for letting us know. I have read a few of her stories in the past, and thoroughly enjoyed them. I plan on reading the rest soon. Have you considered publishing her stories?

Rusty

• woodrose
    last year

I am so saddened to hear of the passing of your Mom. I'm so sorry for your loss, and ours. I loved all of your mother's writings and learned so much from her about times before I was born. She was a dear lady and a wonderful blessing to all of us here, and will be greatly missed. Thank you for letting us know of her passing.

• bpath
    last year

I’m so sorry for your loss, Marcia. Your mother was a wonderful regular at this Table, while I was shy for a time to pull up a stool. I was always amazed at her age! My mother was about the same age and could no longer use a phone, but here was SeniorGal doing it all. My DMIL is like that, 96 and showing ME iPad techniques.

She was a delight. Thank you for letting us know.

• pudgeder
    last year

Your mother was one of a kind and a wonderful, sweet soul. Please accept my condolences.

• provogal
    last year

I did not know Seniorgal and generally just lurk but I did read her blog and it is wonderful. she was a talented writer and the history we can learn from her writing should be saved somehow.

• Michele
    last year

I just read a few of her stories on the blog. I’m reminded of why I always was happy to see one of her comments. She had a gift.

• jill302
    last year

My condolences to you and your family. Enjoyed many of your mom’s posts, she will be missed.

• Zoe 29
    last year

I am sorry for your loss. i had the opportunity to read some of her blog in January. She wrote of moving to Ohio and working at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. I replied to her that I had just retired from the base and my first job was in the same building (125) that she started in. It is a small world. I hope you won’t be too quick to remove the blog. i would love to spend a bit more time there.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

FWIW, there was a lovely Italian-American lady in her 90s who made videos on YouTube about cooking during the Great Depression, telling stories about her youth as well. She passed on, but the channel is still there.

Some families will note that the originator of the site is now gone, but their legacy lives on the internet.

• ladypat1
    last year

Your mother's stories here and on the blog should be printed in a book, even if only for your family. There's just no one left her age to tell all those stories. It's history. Condolences.

• maggie200
    last year

I thought i submitted my thoughts about your mom. she and i talked off line when her 2nd husband was alive. we shared stories and i appreciated her responses. she was a careful confident writer. i'm so sorry. i thought she left but her name was changed to HU…… as a Houzz user. i looked for her and think people on here got her name changed back. How lovely she was. i'm so glad you gave a personal report to this page.

• Yayagal
    last year

Your Mom was a very special person to me. I loved her from afar and I will always remember her and smile. God bless her, she's in the right place now and you and your family have so many memories.

• chisue
    last year

I'm selfishly sad to read this--as it means there will not be a hoped-for 'one last story' of your mother's long and interesting life. She reminded me of my own mother, a strong 'career woman' at a time when that was unusual for any girl from a remote setting. Thank you for telling us of her passing, and thank you for helping her keep on writing online after she'd 'messed up' her internet contact.

• terilyn
    last year

I am so sorry for your loss. She will be greatly missed.

• sprtphntc7a
    last year

I am so sorry for your loss, your mom was very special. thank you for letting us KT know of her passing.

i will echo what others have said: wise, insightful, thoughtful and strong.

i so marveled her computer skills, and when i found out her age, i admired her even more! i know so many 'seniors' who don't even want to learn, let alone contribute to a site like this. i am sure, by your post, that she was a wonderful mother and you loved her very much. i am very happy for her that she got her wish to pass before 100 yrs. old. may her memories bring you comfort and peace.

thank you so much for posting her blog, i bookmarked it, so i do hope you leave it up.

• happy2b…gw
    last year

I am so sad to hear about Senior Gal. She was a remarkable woman who led a full life. I enjoyed our interaction here at the kitchen table and shared her stories with my family.

• Mrs. S
    last year

Oh, gosh, this is so sad. I'm sorry for your loss. I too read everything I saw her post. Yes, she was a great storyteller. She had a knack for highlighting exactly what we or anyone would find so interesting about her youth and those times. What a treasure. I appreciate that you helped her navigate the website when there were issues. We have all experienced those glitches, and it surely took patience. She was so worth it. I will remember her stories.

• blubird
    last year

Marcia, please accept my condolences upon the loss of your mother. i loved reading her blog and it seems she led a very interesting life. i remember when she reconnected with thr man who would become her second husband. she always struck me as being young at heart.

• sjerin
    last year

I will truly miss your mom's posts and have been glad to be able to read her blog. To me, her writing sounded a little Laura Engles Wilder-ish and I thoroughly enjoyed reading through her memories. Thank you so much for posting, as it's hard when a poster just disappears.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    last year

My deepest sympathy for you and your family. I am so sad to get this news. I have been concerned because I have not seen her here in a long time. We were so fortunate to have her here at the kitchen table. She amazed me so many times with what she was able to do at her age. I have read her blog. We urged her to make it after she told us stories from her life and times. I was so glad she did it. Please try to leave it. I don't think they will delete it. I have one I haven't touched in forever and it's still there.

Thanks for letting us know. I am extremely grateful for the time we had with her. She was unique. She will be greatly missed.

Thanks for sharing her with us! 🙏😢❤️🌹

• sleeperblues
    last year

So sorry to hear this, your Mother was one of a kind. I loved her stories, and she had a good life. My condolences on your loss.