FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
reets22

Re: I've Noticed

seniorgal
5 years ago

Probably all of us have had the feeling that, at times, we weren't paid much attention. On the other hand I have had very friendly comments on some of my posts.

I probably never really introduced myself.

I started on the Caregiver's forum when I was caring for my husband who had a stroke shortly after we celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary in 1997. (Can it be that long ago???) When he died in 2004, I began making plans to move from Ohio to my original state of Minnesota where two of my daughters live. Moved into an Independent Senior Living apartment in 2006.

When I moved I began having visits from the man I had dated before WW2. He had lost his wife several years before. At his request his daughter found me on the internet and ran interference for him before he called me. He eventually convinced me to marry him. He was 89 and I was 85 when we were married in January, 2008. We had 6 happy years together, He died in March 2014.

I am now 94 years old. Though I am often told that I don't look my age my body knows it. I'm now using a cane and sometimes a walker.

I like to write and I regret to say that I have not put anything on my web page just recently.

I check Kitchen Table daily and feel that I know many of you. Life here is somewhat lonely -- most of my friends have either died or moved to other places. The newer residents are quite a bit younger and their life memories are different.

So, that's me, an old lady who is still interested in what you have to say.

Comments (42)

• eld6161
    5 years ago

You have many, many friends here! I always enjoy reading your stories and your posts.

seniorgal thanked eld6161
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

I am always happy to see you posting!

seniorgal thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Related Discussions

I've noticed a lot of canning classes popping up in my area

Q

Comments (2)
    "That could be botulism in there.... " Yes, that is why I'm trying to get Johnny to go to one! He ate the rest of them and didn't get sick or die, but I'm afraid he will do it again this year! He did buy a pressure canner, I just hope he uses it! His Mom told him to boil the jars of beans for 4 hours.... She's my about my age, 57, and she probably learned, wrong stuff, from her parents. My parents also canned beans in a water bath, but they added about a cup of vinegar to each quart. They were basically pickled. But probably not completely safe. I did the same for years, then changed after I did some reading.
    ...See More

I think I've been noticing...

Q

Comments (3)
    Several people have been saying that, bulldinkle. My feeders weren't up this time last year, but I've been seeing them at least twice a day up to 5-6 times a day nearly every day, all thru June and July. Have seen two at once a couple of times. In August there were more.
    ...See More

I've noticed something about my problem. A clue?

Q

Comments (1)
    Can you post another picture ?
    ...See More

I've Got Chills, They're Multiplyin'!!

Q

Comments (8)
    Yes, I need to sign up for WA. I've just eaten a banana and while I was hungry and I do like bananas, I've realized that the real reason I ate one was so that I could snip up the skin and bury it in my wormery. Son and Husband made this for me (at my request) for Christmas - I set it up about midJanuary and have to stop myself checking it every time I go into the garage. I yell at anyone who leaves the garage door open too long - my worms might get cold! Between this and my compost bin, my son thinks I exhibit an unhealthy obsession with decaying matter....
    ...See More
  • chisue
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

All right now, Seniorgal. It's a new year and time to 'get cracking' and give us more stories from your life experiences.

Have conditions returned to 'normal' at your senior living home? I remember you were unhappy with some new management changes. Your experiences there can help those of us who will eventually need to make new housing choices.

seniorgal thanked chisue
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

Seniorgal, you've been an inspiration for me.

seniorgal thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    5 years ago

And an inspiration for me also, Senior Gal. I consider you my friend and only wish I lived close enough to visit you in person. You have so much to offer us from your life's experiences, you are a valued member at our table.

seniorgal thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • bossyvossy
    5 years ago

I'd like to hear from you also. For example, in a recent comedy show episode, the parents were absolutely bewildered and powerless at what their kids were watching online. I could relate to that and also to "not getting" what the kids considered humorous and parents considered crass and vulgar.

Did you ever feel that way? Sure you DDs didn't have cell phones, etc. but go back to the whatever way they used to connect with the world. Do you think it is a generational thing or times have really changed that much?

also, from a historical point, have things changed or is it a cyclical thing? For ex. Granny was on her own as soon as she could. Mom seemed to want short ties to home. I took off early, My SS wouldn't have minded living in the virtual basement, have we not knudged them away. I see a cycle, do you?

you seem like a very interesting woman.

seniorgal thanked bossyvossy
  • happy2b…gw
    5 years ago

Seniorgal, when you are feeling lonely, come to the forum and say hello. You have inspired me too. I love reading your stories and have been checking for a new one recently. I enjoy your stories because you describe what life was like when you were a girl and as a mother and wife but also about an area of the country different from mine. Your voice comes through loud and clear and I like that.

My mother who would have been 100 years old told and wrote stories about her girlhood growing up in NYC. In lots of ways you remind me of her. She cared for my father for a year after he suffered a stroke and after his death she relocated to be closer to me.

seniorgal thanked happy2b…gw
  • Sue_va
    5 years ago

Seniorgal, you are only a few steps ahead of me, age wise. I always enjoy your stories, and I am aware of the differences in what those few steps make. I have done a lot of similar writing and hope to get mine all together some day, but my last couple years have slowed me 'way down. You mentioned recently about how to get your stories posted here, because of their length. I suggest you do like magazines do: post a certain length each week, then "to be continued next week." That would give us all something special to look forward to.

seniorgal thanked Sue_va
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Seniorgal, life is lonely here also, yes I know I'm surrounded with these grandboys, but there's very little adult conversation for me. I've been a hermit and centered my entire life around my family never making friends.

So you like to write..that's great and I would love to read what you write...can I make a request? I have an obsession with laundry, I know its strange, lol...I wouldlove to hear about how you, or your mother did laundry in your younger years..I want to know it all..where you did it, the water temperature you used, the soap, all of it...that is if you ever feel bored and want to write about it...I just find it fasinating.

I'm happy to meet you Seniorgal.

seniorgal thanked mamapinky0
  • caflowerluver
    5 years ago

I love reading your stories. They remind me of the ones my Mom told me about her life growing up. She would have been 99 this March. I just turned 65 and if I Iive as long as my Mom, 93, or you, I hope I am doing as well at that age. I think you are an inspiration.

Could you post the link again, I lost it.

seniorgal thanked caflowerluver
  • jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    5 years ago

To a degree, what you related just now is like all the 'good' stories from long ago that began, "Once upon a time..."

You did that today and I personally believe that you can do it again.

Thank you!

• seniorgal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nanny,

DO write your memoirs! They will be appreciated.

Re, the military--My husband was a career AF Warrant Officer. I expected that we would move many times. However, he was assigned to the Air Force Institute of Technology ( a graduate school for AF engineers) and we were not transferred--good and bad --but it was not our doing.

I have often thought that our military forces are not appreciated as they should be. I maintain that the folks who declare war ought to put on a uniform and see what it is REALLY like.

5 years ago

Nanny, please don't hit delete ;0) It's such an interesting perspective. No one in my family has served past WWII. My nephew did marry a young woman who describes herself as an 'army brat' and she's lived in more than one state and overseas (Germany), attending multiple schools. I find her wonderful. She is efficient, practical, confident and self assured - we're lucky to have her as part of our family.

• blfenton
    5 years ago

Do not hit delete. I try not to do that.

Seniorgal = When I'm your age I sure hope I'm still interested in things. I'm only 63 (only she says - how did that ever happen) and I'm still very active.

seniorgal thanked blfenton
  • Yayagal
    5 years ago

Seniorgal, you are such a good writer and have a flair for telling stories, how about you present a time or incident in your life, be it funny, sad, a growing experience etc. and then we can tell ours. This way we will learn more about each other and bond even more. You don't have to feel lonely when we can have narratives right here. I have belonged to a live chat room for 20 years, we chat every night at eleven. These people are my dear friends as we've gone through so much together. What I'm suggesting could be beneficial to all of us but, as the eldest and wisest, I'm asking you to be he leader. How about it?

seniorgal thanked Yayagal
  • seniorgal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I've read all of your posts and enjoyed them. I'm amused at myself for picking "Seniorgal" back in 1997 thinking I was really old.

Too tired tonight to write anything new but may try a laundry story tomorrow. I do need to get back to writing--it makes me happy.

Thank for all the comments.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Seniorgal, that sounds teriffic..I will look forward to your story.

Folks in this day and age of automatic washers and synthetic detergent where laundry day is so easy, its easy to forget it wasn't always so easy. Laundry used to be a back breaking chore. Most girl children that were luck enough to go to school were kept home one day a week to assist with laundry...but this isn't my story, I do get carried away. LOL.

• sjerin
    5 years ago

I've missed your stories, Seniorgal. I strongly encourage anyone who wants to try out their memories on paper to present them here. I love, love to read memories by those who've been around the block.

seniorgal thanked sjerin
  • FlamingO in AR
    5 years ago

You are an inspiration to us all. I wish my mother, now 96 and very ill, had taken to using a computer. I think it would have been fun for her. You keep being you and we'll keep on enjoying your perspective and comments and questions!

seniorgal thanked FlamingO in AR
  • Yayagal
    5 years ago

Yayyyyyy we made Seniorgal happy, this makes my day.

seniorgal thanked Yayagal
  • dedtired
    5 years ago

Seniorgal, I always look for your posts. You give me some insight as to what it is like to be the age you are. My mother is 99 and lives alone not far from me. She has become so isolated. I wish I knew what to do for her without giving up my own life. Either my son or I see her every day and she does have people who call and check in. Until recently she was doing volunteer work. On the days she got out, I could see a huge improvement in her mood and her mental status. Unfortunately, she gets out less and less.

What do you wish others would do for you? Are there places you would like to go? I try so hard to think of things for her but she always declines. Mostly she reads, watches tv or naps. I worry about her.

seniorgal thanked dedtired
  • seniorgal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm working on the laundry story. Might finish it today!

dedtired--I agree that getting out is a big help to my mood. However, your mother probably finds, as I do, that it takes a great deal of energy to do it. I think short trips, even a "ride" make a day brightener.

One of my best Christmas presents was from my grandson who took me out to a nearby restaurant for breakfast one day. When we returned he stayed for a visit during which I showed him lots of pictures of his grandpa (he's so much like him in looks and character). I was a bit afraid that he'd be bored but he seemed genuinely interested. He just turned 30 and is a Computer Science professor at a well-regarded college.

I think you and your son are doing the right things. At age 99 the energy level is not too high.

• adellabedella_usa
    5 years ago

I think it's great that you are writing your stories. I'm sure your descendants will love it. I got interested in family history as a teenager. I wish someone had written their stories for us. I am now 50-75-100 years and later trying to write some biographies for people. I have stories for some people and some people are basically just their census records, but I would love to know more. I am collecting as many pictures as I can. Most of my ancestors weren't famous, but a few are well known or eccentric enough to be in history books. Lol! I find that to be really cool.

seniorgal thanked adellabedella_usa
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Yea, I am looking forward to reading your memories.

• amicus
    5 years ago

I'm another who has always loved reading your posts! My parents (both deceased) were born in the mid 30's, so I missed out on hearing personal experiences of people who lived before that time, except for the odd story by an older relative or teacher. Your stories lend me a perspective I'd otherwise not know, so please continue!

Although I'm Canadian, I'd especially love to know your experiences during pivotal times in your country. Do you remember exactly what you were doing and where you were, when Japan bombed Pearl Harbour? Would you mind divulging who was your favourite President and why? What era was your favourite, for clothing styles, music, and automobiles? What are some of your favourite books and movies? What do you consider the most amazing invention that people who passed away prior to your birth would never have known? Is there something (product or capability) that you wish hadn't been invented or discovered?

Do you come from a large family and if so, what birth order were you? Do you have a favourite decade to date, and why? There are so many interesting things I'd love to know, so whenever you have the spare time and the energy to sit down for a spell and type it all out, do tell! Best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year!

seniorgal thanked amicus
  • seniorgal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I ran into problems trying to post my laundry story--too long for here and on my blog page it came through in HUGE type! I'm giving it a rest so I may think more clearly tomorrow

• seniorgal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

yaya girl asked for a funny story. I just came back from our coffee bar where I mentioned this one to some friends.

During WW2 an old hotel which had been closed for some time was remodeled and opened for female war workers such as I was. When we told natives of Dayton where we lived there were raised eyebrows. "You live at the Harbor Hotel!!"

We finally found out that this hotel had been considered a brothel, and here it was, all filled with young women! No wonder the eyebrows were raised!

• dedtired
    5 years ago

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Seniorgal. It helps.

seniorgal thanked dedtired
  • seniorgal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just want to say that I've had trouble with my laundry story. I hate to give the link because it came out in such poor form.Laundry

5 years ago

Your link didn't work for me. If it doesn't work for others, I found it in an older link you had provided for us earlier - several months ago.

Seniors Gals writing - laundry

5 years ago

And may I thank you for sharing the story. I don't think I'd thought about how hot water was produced for the washing machine, or how it came to be in the machine. And a gas powered washer, what a thought. I have memories of helping my grandmother with her wringer washer, on her porch outside her California apartment. I really couldn't tell you how hot water was acquired with that one, it may have been plumbed from a hot water tank inside though.

I had somehow missed the Prom story and would like you to know how much I enjoyed it. Senior Gal, Tangee lipstick is still available at Vermont Country store. I had looked to see what years manufactured because at age 67, I can remember having it as a young girl too! So it's ageless, like we are ;0) "the lipstick that goes on clear and gradually transforms into the perfect shade for you"....but I suspect it really did not.

Please keep writing, we are so lucky to have you among us.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    5 years ago

I've gotten caught up reading your stories. Although I liked "Laundry" and remembered my grandmothers washing routine while reading it, I loved "Prom Time" and hearing about the preparation for your big night with 'H'.

Thank you so much for sharing your stories Seniorgal!

seniorgal thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

I enjoy reading stories written by others too. I wrote the Story of my Life on another forum and then copied it to my notes section of Facebook. Writing down the good, the bad, and the ugly....of the things that happened in my life was painful at times, but I am glad I wrote it, and really need to finish it. It sort of took a lot out of me.

seniorgal thanked marilyn_c
  • Sandplum1
    5 years ago

Loved your laundry reminiscence and Prom Time. Looking forward to more later.

seniorgal thanked Sandplum1
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Hello Seniorgal from Alabama! It's so nice to hear more about you! And everyone else too. I'm looking forward to your stories. I've been on vacation so I'm a little behind with reading things posted here, so I'm off to find your stories.

seniorgal thanked OutsidePlaying
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

I enjoy your input. Always a friendly voice!

seniorgal thanked nicole___
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Seniorgal, Thank You. ..I enjoyed reading your Laundry story and I appreciate you writing about a favorite subject of mine. Now I'm onto your other stories and thourghly enjoying them. Thank you gor sharing, you are a wonderful and wise writer.

• chisue
    5 years ago

morz8 -- Thanks for the link. I've re-read several of Seniorgal's wonderful stories, ending with the one about "Sally's" cheerful, present-in-the-moment life.

• Yayagal
    5 years ago

Thalt was great, a good read and I could visualize the entire scenes. We had an electric washer but it had the ringer on it too. My mom told the story that I was a very serious child who liked to sit in my rocking chair and watch her work. While ringing the clothes and me staring at her, she was always agitated and that's not a pun lol. They got stuck and you had to yank on them. I was never one to talk much but on that day I looked at her and said Mommy Belax. She looked back and laughed so hard. Words from a child and she was guilty. She didn't care it I tried to say Relax and failed or that Be Lax was the message, either one applied lol.

• joyfulguy
    5 years ago

I enjoy your stories as well, senior gal - you have a knack for telling them in such a way that we feel that we're there with you as you do what you're doing ... and reacting to the things that are happening.

Keep up the good work.

Maybe we could collect them and share them with folks beyond this Kitchen Table, if you were willing.

ole joyful

• seniorgal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Ole joyful. If I thought others would enjoy the ramblings of this old lady, I might be willing to share them with more folks.