anele_gw
9 years ago

This is too perfect . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: House Hunters-- Hilarious

Comments (56)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

To add to Pal's list of wishes they would say,

"The kitchen is fine...neither of us cooks - everything we eat is take-out. We can not cook on black appliances just as easily as not cooking on stainless."

Which is what I suspect is the case for the vast majority of those who snub a perfectly decent kitchen.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Some of the buyers have a little fun with the trite comments. My favorite was the young woman looking for an apartment in Berlin, IIRC. She walked into the stainless kitchen and said something to the effect of...hmmm, I think the stainless looks sort of dated, very 90's. Personally, I think her tongue was firmly in her cheek!

Generally, I only watch the international version of the show as I love to see what housing looks like in other parts of the world. I'm still jealous of the couple that rented a thatched roof gate house in Buckinghamshire. I really, really want to live in that house.

• Related Discussions

10 things I've learned as a first year gardener

Q

Comments (26)
    camp, I didn't realize it either until researching online and on gardenweb. "What are these cabbage lopers of which you speak?" (what the heck is a loper?) ... OHHHHHH, those gross lil green caterpillars I keep seeing. Gotcha! This has been fun to read everyone's input. There are too many gems to point them out individually, but I've learned that not only are garden bloggers really nice and helpful (per thyme2garden) but they are pretty funny, too! It's too bad I try to share the humor with my non-gardening friends and family ... (um, ok, everyone not on here!) and they give me the blank "I don't get it," stare. Such is life. I highly recommend the archived "so you want to grow a gardenia" thread... I read that a few months ago and was CRYING it was so funny. (I didn't even know what a gardenia WAS until that thread.) And it has given me the courage to venture into growing flowers this coming year ... once I make the lasagna beds this fall for spring ... and build a few more trellises ... and flip my compost ... and ask the restaurant down the street for coffee grounds ... and.. and.. and.. :P Oh, btw. The tomatoes are starting (in case anyone was troubled by my plethora of non-ripening tomatoes.) ... The gardening gods like me (at the moment ;) ). Thanks again everyone for sharing - Veronica
    ...See More

Kinder Egg ban. The most ridiculous thing I've ever read!

Q

Comments (27)
    my son and family lived in germany where the boys were in love with kindereggs. they have a two piece plastic container that is kind of the shape of a c-battery but shorter. they are hard as the dickens to open! inside is a tiny toy that you construct using an instruction sheet, also inside and written in german. they are very intricate and wheels turn, etc. some series are whole items like clowns or animals or cars. there are collectors who pay good money for the toys. i still have a bag full of them and some are smaller than any toy parts i have seen here other than polly pocket dolls. the cylinder is contained inside a thin shell of two lays of chocolate...white and brown. it is a high quality candy and easily breaks into small pieces. you can also buy the candy by itself and my grandsons still get it from my daughter who now lives in germany. years ago i was able to buy kindereggs from a man in canada who sold them on ebay. the last time i tried, about 4 years ago, he no longer shipped to the us although the ban had been in effect prior to then. they just made the punishment harsher. so there, everything you need to know about them from someone with over 10 years experience.....lol.
    ...See More

Your Funniest Buying/Selling a Home Story . . .Tell Us!

Q

Comments (71)
    When my husband and I were selling our house last year, we went through a string of bad luck. We staged our home and put a lot of stuff in his office (he had his own business). Needless to say the building the office was in burned down and we lost a lot of pictures, but mostly just junk. We finally sold the house only to have the first buyers back out 4 days before the closing, but we were locked into buying our new house. We then put our home back on the market and prayed we would sell it in a newly SLOW market. Anyway we had many potential buyers come back and view the house 3 and 4 times but after 5 weeks still no offer. With the stress of holding 2 mortgages we were desperate. One day when my husband was commuting home from work it just so happened he was sitting next to a realtor. They got to talking about our house and she mentioned to him when ever she needed to get a house sold she would burn sage leaves to ward off evil spirits. That weekend we were holding an open house. Unbeknownst to me, as we were leaving the house my husband ran back in to "get something." He was taking a really long time so I ran in to find out what in the world he was doing. I saw him running through the living room with a smoking piece of aluminum foil and the overwhelming smell of burning herbs which smelled very illegal! I wanted to kill him. At the same time our realtor arrives and was nearly knocked back at the smell. At the time I didn't think it was funny and I was fuming. Needless to say, we got an offer that day, and we closed in 4 weeks. The ironic thing was our buyer was a Drug Enforcement Agent. He must of knew it was sage and not something else.
    ...See More

Ever go back and read books that you read

Q

Comments (36)
    Oh, yes, I re-read all the time. The ones I re-read the most are Jane Austen's novels, the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon, "Anna Karenina" by Leo Tolstoy (one of my favorite books ever), and "Far From the Madding Crowd" by Thomas Hardy. I've re-read "To Kill a Mockingbird," too, but only 3-4 times.:)
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    9 years ago

Sometimes it seems people choose their house based on the material of the kitchen counters. I swear!

There are two phrases that drive me nuts. One from overuse -- "it has good bones". That means that the house still has a roof and ceilings that are standing upright.

The other thing is regional, I am sure -- "garden tub". What? what does the tub have to do with the garden? How can a 10th floor condo have a "garden" tub? And what are the features of a garden tub? Jets? Air bubbles? Deep? Dirty enough to grow potatoes?

Despite all of this, I watch the damn show, esp International. Not the ones where they are buying on some island, since they are all the same to me, but the ones in a foreign country. I could watch that episode about the Bourgeois Apartment in Paris, where the very tall blonde from Texas sits on the toilet and bangs her knees on the opposite wall, over and over again. Any apt in Paris would do just fine for me.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Thanks, Anele, that is too funny and too true!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Even funnier than the article is dedtired's comment:
    Dirty enough to grow potatoes?

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Duh, Where else are the potatoes to go
    once you wash them from behind your ears ?

• woodie
    9 years ago

Hehe "I think the harvest gold bathroom is kinda interesting" - love it :)

Last night a young gal actually liked the retro avocado appliances in the kitchen - I admired her for that LOL. Wish she had been around when I was selling my parents house a year ago!

• denali2007
    9 years ago

Can you hear me laughing out loud?

Here's a script from HH 70's style:

I really wanted shag carpeting.
    What, no paneling in the family room?
    We will have to rip out those coppertone appliances and get all new avocado ones.

Notice they all need a fence and a large yard for the dog or future dog to run around in. They can't put up a fence on their own?

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Thanks for linking that. Too funny. House Hunters drives me nuts too. When I was mom-sitting after her knee surgery, I watched a lot of tv, mostly HGTV and it seems that every show was House Hunters or a version of it. I think the blogger is 100% right that those shows are part of the reason our housing market stinks. Young people buying their first house see the show and think it's normal to have everything they could possible want in their first house. Sellers see the show and think they have to have upgrade the kitchen, baths, and have wood floors in order to sell in a depressed market.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I don't watch the show anymore because I got tired of all the little princesses walking into the kitchen and telling the DH's that the kitchen has to be redone, or granite has to be put in, or the cabinets are too dark, too light, or too something, like everything else in the house. I waited 20 years for my new kitchen - they can't wait?!

• peaches12345
    9 years ago

You have made a boring Sunday afternoon fun with this article. All so true and I ditto all the replies. I do love HH International, but regular HH drives me nuts and I end up screaming at them by the end of the show. There is either the little nerdy husband who has to have a "man cave", I guess to prove to himself he's a man even though he lets his little spoiled wifey call the shots. Or the princess who has to get Daddy's approval the house is good enough for her. My favorite recently was the recently married couple who were buying a condo near her Mommy and Daddy and she had to have the high rise condo in a resort complex that had concierge room service. She actually said she didn't have to even have a kitchen as all she would do it pick up the phone. I will bet that couple is no longer together once the novelty of being married wore off for him. He didn't look that happy already while they were condo-shopping.

Yes, it is scripted, but that's no surprise. It is a tv show after all and some of these numbnuts couldn't string 2 coherent words together on their own. My son was a Seattle seller. His house had already been purchsed by these buyers and son and wife were there for the taping.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

You know what I think is real funny? I'm dying to find a home that hasn't been upgraded like people who watch HGTV think it should. Due to our serious real estate slump in my state it brought in all these out of state and out of country investors.The downsizing size that I'm looking for was really a target. Many were guided by the agents on remodeling flips. Some just watch the HGTV and learned on their own. Honestly if they blind folded me during the curb glimpse and just took me inside I wouldn't know one from the next. I don't want to pay extra for that crap.
    I wish someone would make them stop!

• peaches12345
    9 years ago

And they're still saying these same lines, flyleft.

• EngineerChic
    9 years ago

I almost pity the younger people who fall for this "have to have granite and stainless in my very first kitchen" crap. Not only have most of them been saddled with MASSIVE college loans, but now they think they NEED granite counters?

Dang, they are doomed. I remember being psyched to buy our second house partly because the Formica wasn't chipped and cracking.

But this show is entertaining when you have the flu and are laying on the couch.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I remember considering a 20 year old DW, and the ability to have my own washer and dryer, not one down the block--as "life transforming events".

• dedtired
    9 years ago

You guys are funny. True -- the fence for the dog, the neighbors can see in the backyard, a busy street nearby, a huge garage, a man-cave, etc. It's really a good example of the homogenization of America.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

My son was just thrilled to have a crack at buying any house in his price range. He has a dishwasher but won't let anyone use it because it will up the electric bill. Everyone hand washes their dishes. He makes his two room renters wash all their clothes in cold water. Can you believe that? He has never watched HGTV that's why.

• lynxe
    9 years ago

One day I turned on the show and, to our great surprise, there was X and X's spouse! X had reported to one of us. And there was X and X-Spouse house hunting in an area we knew very well. It was a real kick to see them driving along some road we knew, or watch as the camera panned the main street of a familiar town. This was long before we all knew the show was pre-recorded, but even so, both of us were wondering - once again - why buyers only ever look at really ugly houses! I don't recall any of the details, but I'm sure X and X-Spouse wanted an "open concept" floor plan and "high ceilings" and an "updated" kitchen, and I just know they would have bought House #2 if it weren't for the trim color in that powder room, and I am certain they passed on House #3 because that DR light fixture was "dated."

Why, BTW, do people think granite and stainless steel (a) connote "gourmet" or "upscale, and, related to that; (b) have to be expensive? I guess that's the same thing, but still, I don't get it. What is the big deal with granite and SS?

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

Perennial line: "I can see myself living here." Puh-leaze, change it up.

We're still living in our starter house, it's just spiffier now than it was 38 years ago. At the time our big requirements were children's bedrooms larger than 10 x 10 (#1 of 3 was on the way) and being off the main road. We thought the sunken tub in the guest bath was a bonus, but have you ever tried bathing a toddler below floor level while pregnant with the next kid? Some day maybe we'll do in the sunken tub.

• francypants
    9 years ago

I stopped watching it when I read that the episodes were taped after their home was already selected. Some of the houses shown are only decoys, as in they never were considering them in the first place. Too much like scripted reality shows.

Have to admit, though, that I still watch the international ones just to see the locations.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

Ah yes, the absolute requirement for double sinks and by the way are we the only couple in America that doesn't hang out together in the bathroom rinsin' and spittin' and...um, whatever.

I can see a very entertaining drinking game called 'the parade of HH cliches':

We can make it our own

It ticks all your boxes

This would be great for entertaining or

alternate phrasing:

We really need a larger space for entertaining (this is especially interesting coming from people who are moving thousands of miles from anyone they know)

I watched an episode the other day in which the wife looked like she'd stepped in something nasty in every house because she insisted she HAD to have wood floors. Honey, you can whomp in wood floors these days in an easy morning's work. They ended buying the house without wood floors, sure enough.

• stinky-gardener
    9 years ago

So funny and spot on Anele! Thanks for sharing.

Don't forget, before despair ensued episode after episode over the sad realization that the "Kitchen doesn't have granite!" utter disappointment was registered that
    "There's no crown moulding!" I mean, talk about a deal breaker!

Loved it when the blog author noted, if you can't afford to replace the dishwasher, you probably can't afford a mortgage! I like this guy.

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

It is scripted. My realtor was on it. She said they told them exactly what to say. She said it was not at all how she ever would show a house. It took 6 days to film it, and yes, the buyers are already under contract when the show films.

"lots of light"

• cooperbailey
    9 years ago

i watched the show twice. does that count? i guess I dont have the patience for little princesses.

• SaraKat
    9 years ago

"This would be great for entertaining"

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Haven't watched in years, but I'd come back if HGTV added a feature where, when the wife says, "Honey, where would your clothes go?" or the husband says, "This color has to go," some guy would hit them in the face with a shovel. Are you listening, HGTV?

• colorfast
    9 years ago

Funny, funny column. I do still watch HH International because I love seeing homes from around the world. (Different from seeing the Taj Mahal or the Grand Canal as beautiful as those sights are.)

Personally, I've always wanted to see one of the husbands say "no, you really DON'T NEED granite" and one of the wives respond, "no you DON'T NEED a three car garage."

And I'd like the ones where they show the buyers' living with their parents to have these so-called WISE, ALL-KNOWING parents to say what ours said: "Do you have a retirement plan at your work? Have you signed up? How much are you putting in?"

I'd like to see at least one buyer drive up in an older car because they were throwing all their savings toward a downpayment, like we did.

In a nutshell, what really is driving all of us crazy is that most of these buyers appear to have the emotional and fiscal maturity of 10-year-olds. It is not really a show about grown-ups.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL to all of your comments. . . SO TRUE!

I knew it was scripted/house was pre-bought because we know someone who does the editing for the show. I was disappointed, but I do not know why I was surprised! However, I do think that the people are pretty good actors!

When we were house hunting recently I was very aware of what I said vs. the canned lines you always hear on the show. I admit that hardwood (at least underneath the carpet) and trim were high on my list because I knew it was not the kind of thing I'd ever want to spend money on.

In the house we chose . . .I was disappointed that the kitchen has SS appliances, though I did not say it out loud. They are already scratched and I know it will just get worse. However, I LOVE the kitchen. DH was disappointed that there were not granite countertops. I, however, was relieved. I just wanted a kitchen where I would not trip on people, which is what happens every day here.

My favorite episode was young couple looking for a condo. The woman had a Yorkie named Kevin and everything was about what Kevin wanted- or didn't want. She brought him with her on the search, in her bag. I still laugh about that show.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Indeed one of the funniest columns I've read recently. "Practice register" made me howl, and the writer hit almost all the cliches. I just don't get why the buyers are, or appear to be, so short sighted regarding paint, flooring, fences, and the other things already mentioned that can be added with a little hard work and a few dollars. I was just happy to have our first house, which was a rental, and then look for a house we could afford. The finishes were a minor matter in those days as long as it met the other basic needs and location.

• bronwynsmom
    9 years ago

"Kevin"...?
    You're kidding.

How about a Shi-tzu named Jason?
    A Cavalier King Charles named Jamal?
    A Rottweiler named Heather?
    A Maine Coon named Dakota?

• Jess TKA
    9 years ago

It's actually kind of refreshing to read this thread since I sometimes feel intimidated on GW looking at all the gorgeous houses and needlessly worrying about whether mine "measures up". There was even a recent thread on the Kitchens forum about how over the range microwaves instead of vent hoods looked so "builder basic", or having common styles of granite appeared low budget. Basically, a laundry list of what I'd consider high-end finishes being labeled as lower class. I really like reading through the comments on this thread that so many of you have worked your way up over time as we have, and not everyone has a master bathroom the size of an airplane hangar.

I'll confess though that when DH and I were house hunting the past few months we uttered MANY of the cliche phrases seen on the show without thinking about it at the time. We both had long wish lists that were difficult to find in our budget (our area is experiencing a sellers' market) but, in our defense, this isn't a first home for either of us and we wanted a place where we could stay put and be happy for years. In the end we definitely didn't get our dream home but we got a place we're both happy with, in a nice area, with lots of potential for future improvements.

• stinky-gardener
    9 years ago

Wifisker, refreshing indeed! HH a source of intimidation? Sure. HGTV has a lot cultural currency. Really, just think of the influence it has exerted on how the general public looks at and thinks about houses. A universal "shorthand" has resulted that instead of feeling unifying, feels oppressive. But people are waking up and smelling the coffee, and a backlash is in the making. There's already a reactionary shift toward laminate being "installed" rather than ripped out, of kitchens! That's progress.

Too bad we couldn't have just skipped the whole HGTV wake up call, but like individuals in real life, it's the people who get on our nerves the most who clarify best for us what we really want, care about, and value. I know that the most obnoxious people I've encountered have helped me the most to understand what I DON'T want to be like, and to see more clearly what characteristics I want to embody. Realizing we don't want to be HGTV or House Hunter zombies sets us on our true path even more confidently. We should write them a thank you note.

• lynxe
    9 years ago

"But people are waking up and smelling the coffee, and a backlash is in the making. There's already a reactionary shift toward laminate being "installed" rather than ripped out, of kitchens! That's progress."

At our previous house, we had the laminate counter tops covered with a material that I think was a granite composite of some sort (that looks just like granite) and that's created from a template of your counter tops so as to fit right over what's there. The kitchen looked a million times better, I think, but the ONLY reason we did it was because the laminate was so old that the protective finish had worn in many places. It had long since been impossible to prevent stains from setting, nor could scratches be hidden, nor was it possible to overlook the dulled, matte areas. Had it not been for the obvious damage, we could have lived with the laminate.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wifisker, I am right there with you, but I post about my humble domain anyway! I can't tell you how many times I've read about couples downsizing to "just" 2000 sq ft when we are a family of 7 and live in maybe 1500. I feel lucky to be moving to a place with 4 bedrooms now. Nevermind that most of them are 10 X 11. Fine by me.

RE: the expected "standards"-- does everyone truly like them or just see them as elite/must-have items? Like for me-- love the look of SS but I do not think they work in every kitchen, and for me, the scratch factor is an issue. Ditto for an open floor plan . . .again, I can see how they work for some people really well, but the last thing I want is all of us in one big room at the same time. Gulp. The noise . ..the visual noise, too . . .not for me.

Stinky, you are right about the thank you note! It is interesting to see what others list as a priority. And certainly, there is still diversity, even on HH. I learned about the FHA rehab loan on HH, when one woman got a house with a ton of character but needing serious work. Very inspiring!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

LOVED the link, Anele, and I'm loving the comments here even more! Funny, totally true and so darn sad all at the same time. I know that we've all talked about the downward spiral of HGTV shows in recent years and I can't help but wonder WHY the folks there aren't listening! It used to be my favorite tv viewing, but like many of you here, I can't bear to watch it these days. There's no real decorating going on. It's all done on the cheap and should be renamed "Buy a House/Sell a House/ Rent a House TV" in my opinion. Such a yawn these days. I did happen to catch that episode with the Bimbo and Her Yorkie, Kevin. Whoever directed that should be fired! Talk about an idiot (both the director and the bimbo).
    Years ago when I was active on another decorating forum, there was a gal there who was on House Hunters. That's when I found out that they first buy the house and then their realtor and the show's people find them more homes to "consider". I can understand the reasoning behind that, but the snarky, whiny, petty comments from the house hunters themselves irritates the heck out of me.
    The funniest thing was that the owners of the homes this couple "considered", all of which were in the same small town they were moving to, got really mad at them for saying derogatory things about their houses. And then they had to live by them once they moved in! A great way to make new friends of the neighbors . . . insult their homes(LOL)!

I miss the old HGTV with it's quality shows about real decorating and landscaping. I avoid watching the new cheapo version these days.
    Lynn

• stinky-gardener
    9 years ago

Anele, congrats on your new house! That's exciting! Sounds like you'll have much more space, and I know you could really use that with your large family! I'm glad you found some solid info and even inspiration on HH! That's good to hear!

When are you moving in?

• czarinalex
    9 years ago

I love HH! I just love houses and love to look at them. I don't even think I hear the comments by the realtor or the buyers anymore. I also can spend hours on the internet looking at realtor.com or local RE companies... weird huh?
    I would be a realtor but don't have the personality for it. It would be fun just to walk through the houses!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I have watched HH in the past when I had tv, but I could never watch HH international. It was just too embarrassing to be an American sometimes - watching other Americans foist their judgements and values on different cultures and countries, watching another paradise turned into suburban USA. Ugh.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Anele, I remember that episode with the Yorkie being carried around. I also remember the couple looking for a vacation home. The missus carried her Yorkie around and was worried about the bedroom being big enough for doggie to get a running start and jump on the bed! I get such a kick out of this show for the entertainment!

• biochem101
    9 years ago

I've known it was fake for a long time and actually watch to see if I can spot "their" house. It's like a game. At first it was easy because "their" house was the only empty one. In fact, it was sometimes filmed after people had moved in. They take all the furniture and stuff it in the garage for the episode. Or a truck.

So if the house was empty and the garage wasn't toured, you knew right away. Then people talked about that fact online too much because they changed the line-up to include at least one other empty house. Now it was A or B? I always find the couple give it away in their smiles; they LIKE their own house and it shows.

You can tell when they look around and say something nice, they are actually complimenting their own living room! One time the flower bed gave it away. I knew instantly by how the wife smugly pointed out how nice it looked that SHE had put it there! LOL!

The best episodes have been the ones with 2 young men, friends or whatever. One is usually buying and the other is a roommate. They say the darnedest things, usually obnoxious, about the decor (but hilarious). I always picture the owner about dying when some of those lines come out.

Thanks for the link! Talk about hilarious.

• janetraz
    9 years ago

Honestly, there are very, very few HH episodes I can stomach anymore. It takes me about 2 minutes to decide if I can watch a couple/person buy a house. Last week I saw an episode where a very young,single girl, was buying a condo in Boston. She was all of 25, fresh out of college and her budget was 750,000. Really?????? But it gets better. She could not find anything suitible for 750,00, so she "HAD" to raise her minimum to 1 million. Mommy agreed. Mom and dad 'loaned' her the extra 300,000. so she could find a decent place. My goodness, what happens if she gets laid off or fired. I also can't stand the 'space' word. Whatever happened to the word 'room'? No one says 'room' anymore. Its always 'space'. I remember about 6 yrs. ago a very young couple buying a McMansion in Vegas for 650,000. It had granite countertops, a must of course, so the wife could do her baking business. I bet that home is worth all of 200,000. now. I wish they would film follow up shows, like 'whatever happened to these buyers that HAD to have granite, mancave, acre for the dog, etc.' Now THAT could be a very entertaining show.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Janetaz: brilliant idea for a show! I'll bet more than half the couples are split up by now. Either their pettiness or selfishness did them in . . . or they've lost the house because they got in over their heads with ridiculously high mortgage payments.

• jodokus
    9 years ago

Did anyone see the episode a few years ago in California's wine country? This spoiled, dry, unsmiling couple toured three gorgeous homes, large homes that anyone would consider to be dream homes. The man walked into one of the kitchens, a huge affair with cherry cabinets, granite counters, stainless, etc., and pronounced it very low end. My DH and I were incredulous. If that was low end, what does he consider high end? Titanium appliances? Gold-plated fixtures? Diamond-encrusted cabinets? Sheesh!

Also, I don't understand why people need these huge homes. 5000 sq. ft. might seem impressive, but don't you get lost in that? How do you keep it clean? How do you afford the maintenance. Repainting and reroofing a 50000 sq. ft. home is going to be much more costly than a 1500 sq. ft job. Do you really need a separate exercise room, a separate wine room, a separate play room, a separate theater?

Don't even get me started on the spoiled 20-somethings who are buying their first home for $500,000 OR MORE and sneer that a perfectly serviceable kitchen or bathroom is a "gut job."

My favorite HHI was the one in Slovenia where bees had built a hive in the house (or was it bats?) also the one in Buckinghamshire, England, with the thatched roof.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

" I waited 20 years for my new kitchen - they can't wait?!"

huh? what are you thinking? no way. they're entitled after all!

• debrak_2008
    9 years ago

I started reading this thread yesterday. Then I sat down to fold laundry, turned on the TV. HH was on. I couldn't take it. I turned it off. For me its sad HGTV has gotten so bad. I loved that network.

Was looking at magazines the other day. Picked up HGTV mag. Article on a "great" kitchen reno. Too bad it was a horrible layout.

I'm officially done with HGTV.

• rafor
    9 years ago

My very favorite HH comments after walking into the main area of the house:

"Oh they have windows"! What you were thinking of buying a house WITHOUT windows?????

• bronwynsmom
    9 years ago

As I read through this thread again this morning, I couldn't help thinking about how often the digital world stands in for the home town.

HGTV is like a northeastern industrial city, marketing whatever it can sell to an audience that has begun to move away.
    The programs are like its neighborhoods.

House Hunters is a cheap, briefly popular housing development now in the hands of a manipulative gang of speculators, or drug dealers, desperately and cynically selling things of no good use.

Trading Spaces is an abandoned apartment complex that started out perfectly nice, but because of its cheap construction, cut corners, and lack of maintenance, fell into complete dereliction at the hands of graffiti "artists" like Hildi Santo-Tomas and Kia Steave-Dickerson.

And we're the people at the well-kept community center, sharing our lives and skills with each other, and bemoaning what's happening across town in places we used to like to go.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Well, in defense of some folks, putting up a fence on decent lot can run several thousand dollars, not a small expense or project at all. A lot of people are like us and have limited DIY skills to put up a fence. I can put paint on walls and do basic tiling. That's about my skill limit. DH is not handy at all.

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

Jodokus, my sentiments exactly. Even if it is highly scripted, I still can't stand the sense of entitlement that so many of the househunters seem to embody. It's as though HGTV aims to feature the most annoying people possible, because we all know that the viewing public will tune in for train wrecks more readily than simply to watch nice, unassuming people look for a home.

I'm probably highly sensitive, but I'm also annoyed by the extremely limited vocabulary of the househunters. You can easily concoct a drinking game based upon the number of "wow!", "great!", and "I'm not a fan" comments throughout any given show.

I will occasionally watch Househunters International, but that's just to travel vicariously.