SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_990510976

Bring Me Sunshine pics

Nick 10bSW17
last year

Photos of Bring Me Sunshine from my pilgrimage of a lifetime. If you are like me, the one or two release photos are never enough.

Comments (50)

• rosecanadian
    last year

Oh my goodness!!! This is why it's so wonderful to get more modern roses...amazing!

Nick 10bSW17 thanked rosecanadian
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year

That must have been so wonderful to see the mothership! May be someday. Smiley face. You will have to tell us You're impressions.

Nick 10bSW17 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Related Discussions

April showers brings May hosta (pics) 3

Q

Comments (11)
    Frank, the picture above gives enough surrounding detail to notice the stepping stone border. It is like a big flower with the outer rim of plain flat petals....a big sunflower with a hosta heart to it. Seen in its entirety, it is super impressive. I noticed another stack of planted pots, a tower, and like it. Do you have a bar or something down the middle to keep it from tipping over? Or is it necessary at all? What a great way to present the smaller hosta and companion plants with a big floral display! Are you a garden designer? So much talent!
    ...See More

April showers brings May hosta (pics)

Q

Comments (11)
    Steve, The bright blue with cream edge is Regal Splendor. Because of the angle I took the picture at, it doesn't show the height. It gets 5' tall scapes and the plant is about the same height as the new Victory behind it. The solid green one is Green Fountain, small bright yellow is Golden Scepter, Grecian Vase behind the tree. Cherry Berry, Gypsy Rose and Gum Drop across the front. Annie, the little blue plant is Sedum Cauticola. Coll, The Solomon's Seal gets early morning sun in that spot and plenty of moisture. I have found that it will grow short and sparsely if it is too dry. A different angle.
    ...See More

Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included

Q

Comments (20)
    The dracena's are in the 3rd photo and 5th to the right. Though it's not enough light in there to have any plant if your not willing to open a window, like everyone is trying to say. Plant Care doesn't just come down to water.... Temperature, humidity, sunlight, fertilizer, soil and loads tons of other factors need to be accounted for as well. One of the most crucial is light. Whether or not that is direct light, indirect light, or a light from a grow light. Also, MsGreenfinger wasn't saying a plant is like a dog it was a comparison. What she meant was when you buy a dog you need to take care of it like feeding it. Same with plants. Sunlight allows them to photosynthesize which gives them their food. Thus saying you would be depriving the plant from food.
    ...See More

Days without sunshine brings multi smiles when it shines!

Q

Comments (8)
    Sunny today here (although cold) and yes, so welcome! We tend have a high average number of overcast days in winter, but it sure seems that sunshine has been scarcer than usual. I've become acclimated to temps in the 20s also -- most years that would be only about 2 weeks sustained in that range. Those winds yesterday -- I was out for a jog and the gusts would stop me in my tracks! But at least it was only spitting snow, and above freezing for most of the day. I feel for the regions with blizzards, heavy snow and significant rain and flooding.
    ...See More
  • Nick 10bSW17
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

I’m still traveling and apologize in advanced if I’m slow to respond.

Fragrance- I agree with their assessment and put it in the Med, to Med+ range. DA lists it to be myrrh, or complex myrrh depending on the publication. It is complex, I had a difficult time placing the fragrance, with all the various plants I smelled, none reminded me of a previous Austin myrrh. At times I got hints of tea, and others a slight fruity edge, but to be honest, I never once thought oh yeah that’s myrrh. Whatever category it officially falls into, I liked it.

Health- as I am NOT currently growing this rose, I can only report what I observed. They have it planted in various locations throughout the garden, and in the sales section and I must have seen 50+ plants of it. I did see a small handful, prob less than 10 with black spot. I did not notice any mildew or rust.

I will be making room for it once it gets to the US!

• Nick 10bSW17
    Original Author
    last year

@Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley Yes, I never really thought I’d get to see it tbh.

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Nick, thank you for these photos of a beautiful rose I'll also be making room for--and I don't have much room. How wonderful that you could visit all this in person. Carry on. Diane

Nick 10bSW17 thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

What a fabulous yellow ! You are so blessed to be traveling and checking our beautiful new roses.

Nick 10bSW17 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year

Beautiful rose, Nick, I think I’ll need to make new space, too..Lucky you, hope you have a wonderful trip.

Nick 10bSW17 thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Nick 10bSW17
    Original Author
    last year

I can’t wait to see what you do with it Diane, your roses always look amazing!

I agree Kristine, I really like the deep golden yellow. I got fed up with Fun in the Sun always balling on me and ripped it out- so naturally I’m in need of a yellow rose for that spot. 😏

Thank you Ben, it was a lot of fun, but it has left me wishing for a tad more space to play in though.

Slightly OT, I’m not a big tea drinker but I always imagined if I ever went to DA I wanted to have tea, the presentation was everything I wished it would be and more. That scone ended up being the best one I had the entire trip.

last year

Nick, I can't think of a finer place to enjoy a tea party. What a memorable experience.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    last year

Wow Nick !! please spam us on instagram .. i must have missed it somehow !!

Nick 10bSW17 thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    last year

You look as happy as a clam!

last year

I noticed that in one of the Bring Me Sunshine pics, the plants are in the usual ’for sale’ green pots. If only they had them in the gift shop, along with a phytosanitary certificate!

• Nick 10bSW17
    Original Author
    last year

Jen, I haven’t posted anything from the trip on IG yet, I’m still trying to go through and whittle down the ones worth keeping.

Ben, if they had import certificates, I’d have filled the nearest trash can with the contents of my suitcase and how that zipper got closed would have been anyones guess. I was a little disappointed they didn’t have much in the area of DA branded swag in the gift shop. I had to force myself to put down the tea cup and saucer, but other than that, I didn’t see anything with DA on it. Believe me I tried to rationalize buying the paper napkins, but I couldn't get past how random they would seem to guests. Lots of generic home goods and gardening supplies for the locals, not much for the pilgrims. When I was lamenting my plight to my partner about this, his reply was, “we spent over three hours surrounded by nothing but DA, maybe they thought that was plenty of branding and didn’t want to over do it in the gift shop.” It’s called an immersive experience… bless the significant others that don’t share our passion. 😏

Their retail space felt fancy compaired to what I'm used to, peak season helps I’m sure.

Does the Tyler location have a retail space?

last year

And here i was thinking at least I'd snag some of those napkins!

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

WARNING: very OFF TOPIC here... but is no one going to comment that Nick looks like he belongs in a Jos A. Banks or Paul Frederick ad? Very distinguished. I had never seen a photo of him before now that was large enough to see his model good looks.

Of course BMS is great, too, lol.

Nick 10bSW17 thanked fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

I agree Fig, model good looks

• Nick 10bSW17
    Original Author
    last year

🤣 You are too kind Fig & Kristine.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Nick, I want that scone. :) :) I was so disappointed that on our trip to England (a few years ago) to take our high school aged daughter to England we went west from London and couldn't fit a trip to David Austin's place. What a shame.

Your partner was a dear to stay there for 3 hours. :) But, he can't truly understand...

• Nick 10bSW17
    Original Author
    last year

To have been that close Carol! 😩 It is a bit out of the way from London, maybe if you make it back to the UK? I’m half tempted to make scones this weekend…

I doubt he will ever fully understand, gardening isn’t his passion. Our trip came about because an old coworker of his moved to London and invited us to visit her this past spring. I set the intention if we went, we HAD to go to DA, and we’d need to wait until rose season. I’m sure London is beautiful in the spring, but we all know what season really makes us happy. We ended up doing a backwards J working our way from Manchester down to London.

• rosecanadian
    last year

No, we'll never go back to England. But, yeah, we were SO close. :) Scones....slathered with butter. mmmmmm :) :) I'm glad you got to go to DA. Wasn't driving on the left side of the road horrible!!! Ack!

• Nick 10bSW17
    Original Author
    last year

Oh my gosh, driving was its own adventure… Luckily I didn’t have to do it, but it didn’t stop me from using the invisible break, flinching at stationary objects out my window, and letting out a couple gasps the first few days! I was in charge of navigation, but for the life of me I couldn’t get over left turns. I’d see a vehicle in the lane I thought we should be in, and lose my mind for a brief couple seconds. Our most memorable moment was when it took us three times on the same roundabout to finally get out of Oxford. We were both laughing by the third crack at it how ridiculous the situation was. Interesting how his that one? and my yup, that one were two different side roads. 😆 I have never been so happy to get rid of a car in my life as I was when we dropped the rental off in London. It was fun to experience something different, and I now have an appreciation for a few things I took for granted about our roads.

Most of the roads we were on were like this, no lines, no shoulder, hedges next to the road, cars parked on one or both sides, and add a pedestrian or cyclist for a good time.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Nick - oh so true!!!! We got stuck in a roundabout in London...went around 3 times. You forgot to mention parked cars on the road too. And there were no pickup trucks there. The invisible brake!!! Flinching and cowering. LOL Good times!

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    last year

What an amazing trip. You must have been so thrilled. Did you see any plants of the other new one, Elizabeth? Are you back home now? I'm sure I speak for all when I say I'd love to see more pics!

-Chris

Nick 10bSW17 thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    last year

Malorena posted this gorgeous collage of Bring Me Sunshine on HMF. Had not seen her post for a while, but hope she’s doing as wonderfully as these blooms!

Perhaps DA will consider hiring Nick as their spokesmodel! He could highlight a different variety every week over tea service with scones. They could pay him in bare root and 2-quart roses! When I lived in Texas, My friend and I always joked that we’d go work at Certified Roses if they paid us in plants.

• Nick 10bSW17
    Original Author
    last year

Chris, it was an amazing experience, I only wish we had made it our first stop of the day vs Wollerton Old Hall’s garden. Wollerton was closer to our hotel and we got to DA around noon vs first thing. Even though they try to limit the number of people by ticketed times, it was still a little busy, but it wasn’t THAT bad. I made a separate post for Elizabeth, I’m sure it is a wonderful rose, but it isn’t for me.

Ben I was thinking about her while I was there, I miss her posts. Thanks for posting that, I went and checked them out, hopefully she does a post on houzz too.

I would wear a paper bag over my head for that kind of compensation! While we were walking around I saw a pair of pruners on the ground and asked Jeff if he thought anyone would notice if I jumped right in deadheading. Maybe they strategically place them around the gardens in hopes of free labor...🤔

last year

Just wondering when we get the tour of WOH? LOL!!!😄

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Yes, I'd love to see Wollerton Old Hall photos. I've enjoyed two issues of The English Garden magazine which featured WOH gardens. They were beyond gorgeous. But, Nick, I have certainly enjoyed this discussion and photos of the David Austin gardens and tea joint. I still am in love with Bring Me Sunshine, too. Thanks for a fun thread. Diane

Nick 10bSW17 thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rosecanadian
    last year

Nick - I would want to do that too...can't pass anything that needs deadheading. No matter where I go. LOL

last year

When I host my deadheading party you’re both invited, Nick and Carol! Pruners will be casually strewn whereever works needs to done.

• Diane Brakefield
    9 months ago

Sharon, here's a houzz discussion of Bring Me Sunshine. Diane

• rosecanadian
    9 months ago

Ben - lol lol...pruners will be casually strewn wherever work needs to be done!! I'll be there. :)

9 months ago

Malorena,

Those pictures are gorgeous! Did you here from someone that Bring Me Sunshine would be available stateside in January? I sure hope so!

• Marlorena
    9 months ago

Ben...

Thanks !..

Not officially, no, but it would follow their usual practice. If they don't release this rose to you then there isn't any other I know of that would be due for release in the U.S. unless it's one they have not released to us here.. they've done that before, e.g. 'Carding Mill'.. we never did get that one..

• Diane Brakefield
    9 months ago

Thanks for the wonderful photos, Marlorena. Bring Me Sunshine is all that I'd hoped for in your garden, and Austin's do well here, so I am very optimistic. On the other hand, when that rose actually arrives here, I'll believe Austin's intentions. Diane

• rosecanadian
    9 months ago

Marlorena - your BMSunshine is stunningly beautiful!!! And that picture with the blue clematis...my goodness!!! Thanks for the info on the fragrance. I would pass on this beautiful rose because I'm not a fan of strong myrrh. But what a gorgeous rose!!!

• Sharon z8b Texas
    9 months ago

@Marlorena Thank you so much for the information and photos! Gorgeous!!! If they do release this here in January, I hope I make it fast enough to their website to snag one before it sells out.

@Diane Brakefield Thank you for getting this discussion to me!

• dianela7analabama
    9 months ago

I really hope it makes it here. This is the nicest color rose they have released in a while. I would be willing to shovel prune a rose in my main sunny area to give her a spot.

• Ariel Davalos
    8 months ago

It’s for sale

• dianela7analabama
    8 months ago

I ordered it

• Carlos Rodriguez
    8 months ago

Does it seem black spot healthy?

• dianela7analabama
    8 months ago

Carlos we wont know until next year

8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Marlorena noted downthread that disease resistance is good, although she might have different strains of blackspot across the pond

I ordered one on the first day too! Fingers crossed we get our plants, I suspect this one will sell out quickly.

• Rose Geek
    8 months ago

I ordered this one although I still feel raw from the poor roots I received last season. Fingers crossed they have a better crop. :)

• Dave5bWY
    8 months ago

Thanks for the great pictures and sharing your experiences, Nick and Marlorena! Do you feel it is similar at all to Golden Celebration? I’ve been very excited for this one to arrive and ordered it in the first day, too. I was a bit suprised to see it available to order in September instead of later in the year.

• Diane Brakefield
    8 months ago

Dave, pardon me for intruding, but I don't think BMS is anything like Golden Celebration, a fave I've grown for many years. GC has a soft golden color and is enormous. It could easily be a climber. I really love Bring Me Sunshine because it seems so different to me, as well as gorgeous. Diane

GC. The bud looks a lot brighter than the open bloom.

The color is softer here.

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

Oh, Diane....SWOON!!! You need to post pictures of your Golden Celebration more often!! Oh my!

• DLEverette_NC_Zone7b
    last month

@Marlorena in England this is very helpful. It's been difficult to find pictures "in the wild". I really appreciate the comment about the myrrh fragrance too, as that is one of the things I'm most curious about. Do you find there is a lot of variation in color as well, like the DA pictures suggest?

• Marlorena
    last month
    last modified: last month

@DLEverette_NC_Zone7b

Hi.. thank you.. much like the photos in Nick's at the beginning really, generally fades to a creamy yellow. The opening blooms often have quite an intense colour and scent.

I imagine this rose might want to climb in a warmer climate but I wouldn't know how much. You can cut down any long canes and keep shrub form here.

What I have noticed here in England is that, if this rose gets shaded out it will stop flowering and give up the ghost. Here it needs the fullest sun for continuous bloom..

• Diane Brakefield
    last month

Just like Evelyn, I might add. I have three E in this condition. Diane