SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmmm12cozone5

Is Fred Loads supposed to drape and spread like Robusta?

mmmm12COzone5
last year

Our Fred Loads doesn't seem to grow as a bush. It either is trying to be a climber or a rugosa.

Fred Loads with a fence around it to prop it up. Doesn't look that attractive.

We don't really have space to let it do what Sally Holmes does, just sprawl out. When she dies back she grows more up with arching canes. Didn't have die back this year so have just a big sprawl.

I was initially concerned when Robusta got flattened by the snow as it lost all it's height. But now it is starting to send out canes from the flopped ones and they are growing straight up so it is looking very pretty.

I'm starting to wonder if letting Fred Loads flop out is the right thing to do. Maybe we shouldn't be supporting it with the fencing. Or maybe it wants a trellis like Candy Land.

Candy land seems to compliment the trellis so nicely and looks elegant on it.

Lady in Red just looks like a red lump against the trellis and seems to be more interested in sending out canes all over instead of climbing it elegantly.

Any suggestions on what would make Fred Loads look better? I'm thinking maybe it is going to be too big for it's spot if we can't get it to go vertical and it needs to sprawl. None of the pictures on Helpmefind prepared me for it's shape. They were all smaller or upright roses.

Comment