SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sueghali

wallpaper in tiny powder room

sueghali
last year

Hi,

We just started a project to add a teeny tiny powder room. I want to go bold in this room and was looking at bold wallpaper. We are pretty conservative as far as design goes so bold is out of our comfort zone. So two questions:

1. Do we go bead board or wainscoting for half the wall (and do you have suggestions for a teeny tiny bathroom since we don't want to lose too much space?

2. If we do, does it limit patterns of wallpaper we can choose? I have one with a bird that I love but the bird is sort of random so not sure it is weird to bring that design in.

Comments (22)

• P Banos
    last year

I'd wallpaper the whole wall. If the repeat is large you want to be careful about your layout and make sure you buy enough paper, since repeats require more.

• PRO
    LS Design Studio
    last year

In a tiny powder room let the bold statement wallpaper stand alone as the design focus. The vanity and countertop are an excellent opportunity to accent the selected wallpaper by using colors and tones from the design motif in your stain finishes.

• Related Discussions

• A M
    last year

I have a small guest bath and did beadboard on the bottom and wallpaper on top. Four full walls with crazy patterned wallpaper was just too much for me.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

love that paper. I'd do a black wainscot on the bottom, paper on the top.

if you'd rather have a white wainscot, or some other matching color, great. do that.

Tried doing a quick photoshop for you to give you an idea w/the white wainscot, gold mirror. (the pic already had the nickel faucet, so I left those. I like the gold a lot better)

Gave you both an over head light in gold/black, and sconces in gold w/white globes.

I think I would like this look better w/the black wainscot, and maybe a white oak vanity.

pedestal sink option

Dont

forget to paint the ceiling. I'd do a black ceiling to match that paper. get a cool light fixture.

(without actually seeing your powder and what you're working with, it's hard to suggest items)

With this paper,,,,

You could try copying what they've done here. (similar to what my photoshop is above, but this is w/the sage color vanity)

do the vanity in this green color that matches your paper:

hen I'd do gold sconces and mirror (like shown here^) Or you could do a black painted vanity. or a white vanity w/the black wainscot.

lots of options.

If you love that paper, you could do the entire room , paint the trim/doors black, do a black herringbone tile floor. This is sexy:

or, depending on the layout and what type of sink/vanity is in there, you could do the paper on the entire wall behind the sink, paint the other walls a diff color.

Powder rooms are meant to be diff. go bold. it's only paint.

With your paper behind this gorgeous black marble/gold console sink, I love the other walls in black w/crisp white crown, ceiling, trim and towels.

love this white marble too:

or imagine your paper in place of this one with graphite floating vanity:

if you sink area built in like this?

or stand alone

• Cheryl Smith
    last year

i think small bathrooms ar a perfect place to go bold. love the wallpaper... so many color in it to bring in accent peices. wainscoating would be fine too if you like it. a painted vanity in blue maybe with gold fixtures? compliment don't compete.

• sueghali
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks all! If I decide to go half wall with wainscoting or beadboard, any suggestions on style so that it's not overwhelming for a tiny room?

• kandrewspa
    last year

Wainscotting seems to be more popular now, but it depend on the style of your house. Here are some inspiration pictures:

Powder Room · More Info

Amesbury · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

sue, how many more ideas would you like? I posted 10 of them.

you haven't even shown us what the room looks like.

we can post pics until the cows come home, but w/o any feedback from you, or how it relates to your room, we're just spinning.

how about some input on your part?

I posted a slew of pics, plus a few photoshops. anything?? yay, nay, ?

why don't you look up pics of "powder rooms w/wainscot" and see what you like. maybe that would be easier for you.

• clt3
    last year

I would skip the wainscoting in a small powder room. We just had this installed last week and love it. It is a powder room, but not tiny.

• sueghali
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks @ Beth H. Thanks for posting your 10 pics? Where are they? Here is the pic of the bathroom now. 😂

• palimpsest
    last year

I think beadboard or wainscotting could cut a small powder room in two. I would do full height paper.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

seriously? lol. you didn't read my comment w/all of the pics and photoshop?

Here's one I did of your paper w/a white wainscot (but the black would be nice too)

scroll up. it's really not there?

after seeing your space, I would do the marble console sink. Also up there in my pics!

• palimpsest
    last year

I don't see it either, Beth.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

oh man. Ok, i'll transfer all the pics over, along w/what I wrote.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Beth H. : like palimpsest, I don’t see your first post either…..too bad because you have such great ideas!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

love that paper. I'd do a black wainscot on the bottom, paper on the top.

if you'd rather have a white wainscot, or some other matching color, great. do that.

Tried doing a quick photoshop for you to give you an idea w/the white wainscot, gold mirror. (the pic already had the nickel faucet, so I left those. I like the gold a lot better)

Gave you both an over head light in gold/black, and sconces in gold w/white globes.

I think I would like this look better w/the black wainscot, and maybe a white oak vanity.

pedestal sink option. don't really like these, but the wainscot is nice. more traditional

Dont forget to paint the ceiling. I'd do a black ceiling to match that paper. get a cool light fixture.

With your paper,,,,

You could try copying what they've done here. (similar to what my photoshop is above, but this is w/the sage color vanity) do the vanity in this green color that matches your paper:

Then I'd do gold sconces and mirror (like shown here^)

If you love that paper, you could do the entire room , paint the trim/doors black, do a black herringbone tile floor. This is sexy:

or, depending on the layout and what type of sink/vanity is in there, you could do the paper on the entire wall behind the sink, paint the other walls a diff color.

Powder rooms are meant to be diff. go bold. it's only paint.

With your paper behind this gorgeous black marble/gold console sink, I love the other walls in black w/crisp white crown, ceiling, trim and towels

Black wainscot w/the console sink. (I really like the console marble sinks for your space)

white wainscot, black walls. you could do your paper on one of them, or all

love this white marble too:

or imagine your paper in place of this one with graphite floating vanity:

or one like this.

So this is what I had posted earlier. hope it came through.

It should show you some options

Now that I see the space,,,

you could do this (I still like a console sink or a floating vanity)

with dark walls, or a combo white/wallpaper

here's a beadboard. the others are board and batten wainscot ....or,,

or a picture frame type of molding/wainscot.

The beadboard is more country, casual vintage, (IMO) while the picture frame is a bit more traditional.

horizontal shiplap. can also be modern.

Vertical shiplap w/wallpaper

you could even opt for a tile wainscot. do the paper above. or not. I love this look

can also be bold and modern. I love these options w/the tile.

You could do something like this on the bottom w/your wallpaper above, or do the wall paper on the sink wall w/the tile going around on the other walls,

or, just do the full wall of tile in a cool pattern

so many options.

• Jilly
    last year

I love that paper! With this print, I like it best with nothing breaking it up … like Beth’s second picture, and clt’s awesome powder room.

That said, I don’t know your decor style, rest of house, etc. Beth’s first example looks beautiful, too … which fits your house best? I see the first as more classic traditional or even transitional, the second can go traditional or modern.

Have you decided on flooring or other elements yet?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Love this. I see it’s photoshopped in so it might take some doing to get a corner turn? But gorgeous. Love powder rooms that make people talk about it to other guests! “Did you see that powder room?” “OMG, you have to see the powder room!”

• sueghali
    Original Author
    last year

Wow!!! Thank you so much!! The pics are all there now! A lot of beautiful options! The color of the paper didn't come through great it's like a dark teal-ish peacock color, and it also comes in navy which I'm also considering. I bought everything else - brushed gold fixtures, wall mounted white sink. Sink shape is somewhat traditional. Keeping wood floor.

I definitely agree that after looking at the pics, that probably beadboard won't look right and if I do anything I should do the traditional wainscoting. Just need to think about the size since the bathroom is so small. Thank you all so very much.

Beth I see you're in CA? Wish you were in NJ!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Opps this one.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I really like the console sinks. (And I hope all these pictures come throught!)

if you can swing getting one of these (and they come in diff styles, sizes, gold/black/chrome/ or white or black marble) I'd get one.

another console shot and Picture frame trim molding on the inside of board/batten wainscot. This was painted in a glossy finish. If you do black, so at least a semi-gloss

i photoshopped your paper onto this taller wainscot done in a more refined beadboard finish.

you'd ned the gold metal though. this chrome does nothing w/that wallpaper you've picked.

Here's nother photoshop of that black marble/gold console from my previous comment. Another angle. Put in the paper above the black wainscot. They have a black/white marble mosaic floor.

I'd prob do the black marble basketweave flooring w/this combo. I have it in my bathroom with a gold schluter metal edge (to seperate it from the other flooring). here's a close up of it

wouldn't this black marble look killer w/the black wainscot?? I did another one, below:

I did photoshop your paper onto this picture w/the black tile wainscot. I really like this.

(what is your flooring going to be? Pick that first)

What do you think of this one?

I'd still like it better w/the console sink, and I think I like the gold better, but this is very pretty.

If you wanted the white wainscot, here a shot w/similar type of paper above it, white marble basketweave floor tile and the gold mirror/sconces. I don't like this vanity.

This wainscot is a board and batten, a double pattern.

this one would be eaiser to do. Just a simple rail and stile layout w/a piece of chair rail molding on top.

(to figure this out it's basic math to determine the spacing and size of your molding. plenty of how to's and tutorials online)

I found a lighter green color w/a console sink so I shopped in your paper, mirror/sconces. This is a bit more vintage/traditional. but I wanted you to see it w/the lighter green color.

So here are some colors you can look at. you mentioned it was teal or green base, so either go w/those colors or find a black with the green or blue undertones.

for example, this DE color Midnight Spruce is actually a black, but w/a deep green undertone

Looks great w/the paper and the gold and marble sink. I gave some other dark teal/green undertones in the corner

if you want something lighter:

Raccoon Fur and Cheating Heart are both BM blue/blacks.

The 4 colors at the bottom are either the green or the blue/teal tones.

You could actually paint the ceiling w/any of these colors, even if you decide on a black wainscot. The blue or green ceiling paired w/a cool gold light would look very nice

what about this look?

I love the thick black baseboard.

So you could do the entire thing in your paper, or just do the one wall in the paper, or do the whole room in the black wainscot w/the paper above.

But I prefer this type of sink and the marble mosaic floor. (this one, or some of the others)

• sueghali
    Original Author
    last year

You are amazing Beth!!!