SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tasia_pele86

Walkout basement on front of house - remove or replace deck?

Tasia Pele
last year

Hello!

We have a 1940's brick house that was moved and placed on top of a 3/4 fully finished basement, whose door faces the front of our house/driveway. Our actual front entrance is on the right side up some stairs.

Currently, there is a deck that spans the entire front part of this house and connects from the right and left sides. Unfortunately, this deck is in need of serious repair and would probably have fallen if we had not put up ample amounts of supports underneath to hold it. Suffice to say, we are not walking on any part of the front section right now!

That said, we need to figure out what to do with this deck. It will need to be fully replaced or removed since it was not built to code originally. I cannot think of many other options outside of just rebuilding a new deck that follows a similar style. Only one idea is a pergola-style cover that spans where the current decks floor is, but I am not so sure about that. I am reaching out for help with these ideas!

Right now, the deck railing helps breakup the weird looking front and adds more visual appeal, vs just a flat house that is partially underground. A deck is a massive undertaking money-wise for us, and lends no real purpose other than looks. We have a large covered patio on the back, so we wouldn't use this deck for anything but walking and aesthetics.

The front entrance walkup will be rebuilt/redesigned at the same time, but since it is to the side and partially covered by a honeysuckle, I don't know if it's design will be a big influence unless we go with a deck again.

Any help is appreciated!

Comments (8)