SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_671057866

Cabinets for insurance claim

med
last year

I could use some advice.

Our dishwasher broke, leaking behind our kitchen cabinets. We filed a homeowner's insurance claim with our insurance. Long saga. Mold was finally remediated 2 months after we filed the claim, and most of our kitchen was gutted.

We are now dealing with the buildback. Our cabinets (we bought the house last year) were old, but according to my carpenter connection, were a higher end than basic cabinet at the time the house was built (1980). They were/are (lowers were all removed due to mold, uppers will be removed in order to have matched cabinets) mdf, European look, slab cabinets. We don't want to replace them with mdf, and neither does the insurance company. But, they assigned us a contractor, and the contractor offered us RTA cabinets that did not look great. We were told we'd be able to do upgrades if we wanted, but the first contracter finally said that those were the only cabinets they worked with. Second contractor assigned, again shown 2 brands of Chinese RTA cabinets. We're about to go back to insurance again and put our foot down that we should at least be offered stock cabinets. I do not want Chinese cabinets. Our kitchen is a funky shape, so there has to be some finagling.

What I'd really like is NAUF (no added urea formaldayde), possibly some thing made with Purebond plywood cabinets. We're concerned about toxicity, proximity of bedrooms and play areas, and have family members who have experienced some breathing issues, only within the last year. I realize going as far as NAUF and Purebond might take paying a difference, but am shocked to have been offered only Chinese RTA cabinets twice and in a way that it would appear they are trying to dupe us. My understanding is that RTA IS a step down from what we had, even though the cabinets were old.

Any guidance/info would be appreciated. I know what my general rights are with insurance. They have been going through the steps of covering things, allbeit slowly and not without hassles. But more as to cabinet comparison and what my right are to demand a certain level of cabinet.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus