SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_852835095

Insurance claim question

Patrick Green
3 years ago

Hello All,

We had water damage to our kitchen from a broken pipe. When the insurance agent came out to inspect, they wrote a check for 7k to redo the backsplash and replace the backs of the moldy "furniture board" back and side cabinets.

Contractors explained that can't be done. they need to be replaced. Then insurance upped the numbers to replace all the cabinets and countertops to 30k, but they did not include the island. They claimed at first that because the color of the island was different than the cabinets that had the damage that they would not be covered (same brand and style, just a darker color). KD told us per state law here in CT, the island and island countertop would have to be replaced as well for uniformity purposes. There's no way we can match the granite.

Insurance seems to be on board with this now, but they do not seem to be on board with the wet bar adjacent to out kitchen. This has the same cabinets as the island, same countertop, same backsplash. This isn't in a different room or a different floor, it's right next to the kitchen. Photos attached here. First photo you can see the wet bar from standing near the island. To me, it's all the same room. I don't know if there is some rule that says if there is a wall next to it, then it's considered a different room, or something along those lines.

I think we're going to have to hire a public adjuster. And a secondary question, does a public adjuster get paid on the percentage they get back for us over the claim? So if insurance comes back and says 40k with the island, and adjuster gets them to up it to 55k, are we paying on 55k or 15k extra they got for us?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!