SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Homeowner's insurance (larger) claim question--restoration

julieste
9 years ago

I'm posting this here because this is the most active forum so I figure perhaps there will be a larger audience for comments here from people who have been through something similar. We are having fairly significant work--heating, plumbing, wall repair, painting, floor sanding-- done to our house after a freeze-up this winter. We have restore to former condition insurance coverage which will not have any depreciation deductions.

We still have a teeny mortgage on our house (perhaps 8% or 9% of the house's value), and our adjuster told us that since we have a mortgage checks will be made out jointly to us and our mortgage holder. Both parties have to sign off on the checks. The final checks will be issued only after the work is completed so that the mortgage holder can be sure that its investment is protected.

Here is the part I don't get. I keep hearing/reading about people who got bids for work from professionals, submitted the bids to the insurance company and then did some of the work themselves, pocketing part of the settlement money. Are these all people who don't have mortgages?

I ask because one of the repairs that is going to need to be done to our house is painting. We've always done our painting ourselves. In addition to rooms with regular paint jobs, my large living room, dining room, hall and stairs are all done with a very, very subtle faux painting. I know this is time consuming because I did this painting myself. And, I know this will be a very pricey paint job to replicate. If I could, I'd prefer to just pocket the money and do the painting myself again because I know how to do it. And, for the subtle tone-on-tone look I want to enhance our old plaster walls, I know I can do just as good a job as someone I'd hire. But, with the insurance it doesn't seem like I'd be able to do that.

Has anyone here ever had any experiences with anything similar with an insurance claim? Thanks much.

Comments (14)