SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalbestyears

Real Life Farrow and Ball Paint Experience

Bestyears
last year

I'm helping DD paint her first home. She was given 15 gallons of Farrow and Ball Modern Emulsion in "Pointing," and so we are using it to do the main part of her house (LR, DR, kitchen, and hall). This is my first time painting with this paint, though of course I've known about it and seen it for years. I was curious to find out if it was somehow really that much better than the paints I typically use (BenMoore and SW), given that it is quite a bit more expensive.

My finding:

Painting with the F&B feels pretty much identical to the BM and SW. I have a LOT of experience painting -I've done all of my own painting for thirty years, and I'm a much better painter now than I was twenty years ago. The F&B feels very familiar in terms of coverage and the amount of control it requires to control drips, etc. BUT I was disappointed to discover that it needed three full coats (and you could easily argue for another) to get smooth, even coverage. After Googling a bit, it seems like this is a bit of a common experience. Bottom line: I wouldn't use it again -why add hours to a job when you don't need to? I've never had an issue with two good coats with the BM or SW. I have a few professional painter friends who use F&B, BM, and SW all the time. I'm going to ask them about my experience but just wondered if people here wanted to weigh in.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH