SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Baseboard trim size for a period bathroom--photos?

artemis78
last year
last modified: last year

Finally getting to the finishing details of a new bathroom in our 1915 California bungalow, and I need to settle on baseboard trim. This room was originally a sleeping porch with 7" tall flat baseboards, and we had planned to just put that back, but a lot of it cracked when they removed it (and also, it has years of paint, some of it likely lead-based, built up on it). I just got a sample of new trim in the same size from our local lumber yard, but it looks enormous in the space now that the tile is in.

Our existing bathroom no longer has its original trim, though based on the house blueprints it initially had 5' high cement tile on the bathroom walls (long gone) so presumably had tile baseboards. Had I thought of doing tile trim for the new bath back in the beginning, that would have been a great way to go, but at this point it will delay the project too much to add it, so we aren't going that route.

Does anyone have examples of what size trim they've used in an older home, especially an Arts & Crafts era house? I'm looking for period-appropriate but not necessarily historically-accurate (since the house, while it has many remaining original elements, has plenty of new in the mix too). The floor is 2" hex tile and the trim will also abut the 5" high shower curb. Thank you!

ETA: Also, oddly our closets have 5" tall flat baseboards (definitely original)--I had never noticed before that they were different from the rest of the house! We expanded a closet as part of this project so have to buy new baseboards for one wall of that space, so one option is to go with 5" in both rooms.

Comments (4)