SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jill_daniels16

Door casing and baseboard

Jill Daniels
3 years ago

I'm getting new doors next week (we have hollow core damaged doors). I was considering changing out the door casings and baseboards to 3.5 inch flat for the casings and 5.5 flat for the baseboards, but there are a few issues.

1. I can not change the door frames because they are buried in layers of bad tile over tile work. so I have to leave that part and they are dinged up and have peeling paint too. All of the doors and trim in the house were painted latex over oil at some point and the paint just comes off easily. its been painted over many times and looks bad. the edges are dinged up, but I guess I just have to live with that.

2. Some of the doorways are very close to the wall and 3.5 wouldn't fit, so they would have to be cut down a bit on one or both sides to fit. Would that look weird? Its not ALL of the doors but some of the bedroom ones and the door leading to the bedrooms too. There is one part of my bedroom where there are 2 closets with one bifold closet in between. The current trim is 2.25, and if I put 3.5 there-there would be about 1 inch left of wall. Is that weird? Ill post pics.

3. The bedroom floors need to eventually be refinished or redone. The wood is just very worn out. Is it silly to put new baseboard in those rooms and then id have to change it again when I did the floors? Or could it be reused? Same with the bathrooms, I want to redo them eventually and all 3 have tiled walls with door trim over the tile. Is it silly to change the door frames in those areas too?

OR should I just suck it up and sand it down and paint what I have because its real wood. It will cost an extra $3000 to change the door frames and the moldings. (Thats not including painting, or installing the doors and painting the doors.

Im linking a picture of the door i'm getting and the trim id like to have, and then some of the doorways that are close to the wall. Also a picture of my bedroom trim that I tried to peel some off and get it smooth. I was going to attempt to sand, prime and paint. Part of this can not be removed, only the casing can be changed. UGH! I need a new house.

My bedroom door leading out to the house. This door is always open so maybe it doesn't matter that much. The other side would look fine.

This is my closet situation. With 3.5 inch door casings, there would be a weird one inch gap between these doors.

Here is the lovely situation with all of the door trim in my house. the paint just peels off easily, Its all dinged up and I cant take that part out, only the casing part that goes on the wall. door frames are burried in tile. Thanks previous owners. There are 2 layers of tile on top of terrazzo.

Again, the right side of this frame would be too big and he would have to cut the side making it uneven. Is that weird? Should I just suck it up and have unsmooth clamshell trim?

This is the door that I ordered, and the trim that id like. Maybe it would be fine with freshly painted crappy trim?

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I still have those same casings on many of my bedroom doors. like you say, you really don't see them.

I've replaced all the baseboard w/the 5" one. I just left the thinner door casings. Some of the newer doors have the one like in your pic. it's a mis-mash, but no one really notices.

as for the paint peeling. try and sand off as much of the flaky paint as possible to get it smooth. (wipe it clean with a good cleaner. if you use TSP, don't leave any residue on the molding) Then go over it w/an oil based primer. (Kilz has one that is super adhesion, but if you live in Calif forget it. you can't buy it here)

once that dries, it should be fine to paint over it with any paint.

• Jill Daniels
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. :yours is mixed and its ok? I was thinking id change it all in the living area and my bedroom, and leave the kids room with the old stuff, but maybe thats weird. You think I should just leave the door trims, will it look ok with these doors? You have these shaker doors with clamshell? can I see if so?

• Related Discussions

BM super white or simply white for door, crown, casing, baseboard

Q

Comments (3)
    I am using BM Decorators White. No reason except it's not white-white & many designers that I have read on-line have always referenced it in their work/portfolio. In real light it provides enough of a pop without being 'torch your eye' white! Sorry - that is the only words of wisdom i have & no magic formula or template. :)
    ...See More

What color should my trim be?

Q

Comments (1)
    Why make this so hard? ! What is the purpose of maple anything, when it could ALL BE WHITE? MDF is fine for trim,and frankly, nothing makes a better baseboard than a simple 1 x 6 ! Yes.....painted! It needs nothing, not even shoe molding. Exterior door is one thing. No match is necessary inside to outside. I would re think an exterior door in "golden oak".............why?
    ...See More

Painting door casings before new baseboard moulding put in

Q

Comments (11)
    Given my choice, I do all my prep in a room first, then paint ceiling, then woodwork, and then paint the walls last. Is much easier to get a razor sharp line at the baseboard to have all caulking and painting of the baseboard done before painting the walls. I blue tape the baseboards using the low tack 3M tape. However, this procedure requires that the walls be painted the following day. Sometimes you don't have the luxury of time. If possible, I prefer to do all painting before new carpeting goes down. I prefer to work after new hardwood floors installation, taking the trouble to completely protect it with rosin paper.
    ...See More

door casing and baseboards

Q

Comments (2)
    Generally not. Are you talking about plain, square-edged craftsman-style casework, or something with a milled profile?
    ...See More
  • Jill Daniels
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Change the casings where it would look OK and leave it in other places?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

this is the original molding on the door from 1980. I can't make it bigger, there's no room. inside or on the outside. so yes, I left them. (patched and painted them nicely) but you can see the new baseboards.

in the other part of the room I have diff molding. this door is always open, so you don't see it

• Jill Daniels
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. :So I need to change ALL of the base tho-to match? even in my room where the floor should really be redone, but I probably won't do it ever. haha

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago

@Beth H., is that a Ragdoll?!!?

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

I have left my mouldings too. I planned on leaving in the bedrooms, but, I thought, I would change all but around the windows, in living, dining, kitchen and hallway, but, money ran short before I was able to do that, so, they got sanded, and painted and I put them all back up. I didnt change the baseboards either, but, I do plan on doing that in the next yr or so. Sand, prime, with good primer, and then paint them. They will be fine. Mine were painted over oil based with latex too by the previous owner, probably for a quick sale.

Beautiful cats, Beth, all, 3 of them.

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    3 years ago

Rather than try to scrape and repaint the existing trim, I would replace all the casings and baseboard with 'big box store' primed MDF 1x4 (actual dimensions 5/8" x 3.5") for the casing and 1x6 (actual dimensions 5/8" x 5.5") for the baseboards. Your existing worn-out trim will look noticeably worse against brand-new doors.

To answer a couple of your other questions:

• No, it won't look weird to trim the casings where needed to fit an inside corner. Almost every home has a few doorways like this and nobody notices.
    • No, you don't have to remove baseboards to replace the flooring. Just be sure to put down a quarter-round or shoe moulding at the bottom - that's what you remove when you re-do the floors. We replace flooring in older homes all the time and we never remove the baseboards. You just remove the moulding at the bottom - that's what it's there for.
  • ci_lantro
    3 years ago

The trim that you have is period appropriate. And I would 10x rather have real wood trim than MDF junk. Go buy a stick of MDF trim. Stand one end in a bucket of water and leave it for 10 minutes. Take it out, let it dry & then decide if you want to waste your money on more of it.

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    3 years ago

Gee, I never knew people made their trim choices by immersing them in buckets of water. Maybe they do in floodplain regions? Today I learned something new! LOL SMH

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago

The picture you posted of your new door style with new trim looks great! I don't know the details of your current house, so not sure how "period appropriate" your current trim is.

There is a huge difference between a ranch style trim vs. Victorian or Colonial type mouldings, and whether it's worth the work, time & money to save them.

Depending on your lifestyle and location of your house, mdf may be just fine. If you're putting it in an area prone to moisture, that could be a problem.

But if you get an unexpected flood, even wood trim will get ruined! (Ask me how I know!!)

In terms of the casing size, I would change it all to "match", but use 3 1/2" where it fits, and where it doesn't, use the same profile, but in the 2 1/2" width, rather than cut it down.

You might also want to look at a Shaker or Craftsman style where the top is squared off. That eliminates the need for miter cuts.

Rather than going to the trim section at Home Depot, check in the lumber section for primed mdf. It's about half the price, comes in longer lengths (up to 16'). And it is usually more dense then the "fiberboard" HD sells as trim.

• Jill Daniels
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Mary Elizabeth my house is a 60s ranch. Many of the doorways have no trim (if there is no door) just drywall. The windows are all just drywall (some have tile ledges, and i've removed some) The clamshell was just builder grade trim when my house was built in 1969. Some of the trim in my house has been replaced with MDF, and it IS swelling in some areas. I personally would not choose MDF for baseboards because of mopping and water. Maybe door trim would be OK since it really never touches water. We live in Miami, so its humid-but we also have the AC running most of the year, which sucks the moisture out of the air. Here are some pics of the "style" of my house. To me-my house doesn't have a style, its just a simple-no fuss ranch. As for the trim, I think my painter/handiman who was going to install it uses primed finger joint. Im still a little worried about finger joints too.... not sure which is better-fingerjoint, or MDF. They both have their negatives and positives, and both come in 16 ft. lengths.

• Illie
    3 years ago

@Jill Daniels where are your curtains from? Love your home!

• Jill Daniels
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Illie They are Ikea Ritva. I used the 4 prong pinch pleat hooks.

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago

@Jill Daniels, your home is lovely! Maybe I missed it in your original post, but I wasn't sure if this was a total DIY project. If it is within budget, by all means, wood is better than mdf, where possible. I would NOT want finger-jointed pine, but FJ poplar, when milled well, is pretty good for casing & baseboard for painted.

We just did a large mill work order - (a dozen doorways, over 200' base & crown, etc.) and the 8' & 16' casing were great. However, ALL of the 7'6" casing pieces were garbage. We returned them and used 8' ones, even though it was more waste. So you have to check!

But again, I think mixing the width of casings in matching profiles will be a much better look than cutting down one that is too wide.

• Jill Daniels
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Mary Elizabeth what's wrong with FJ pine? How is FJ poplar better? Do you think MDF is better than FJ pine? I have 18 doorways and like 500 ft of base. I was not going to install it myself.

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

I would go with the finger jointed pine, or poplar, before MDF. It is humid where I live too, and I have known many who have had to replace the MDF trim in their newer homes, because, it swells and looks bad with humidity.

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Pine is much softer than poplar, although now with the shortage of materials and price increases, you have to be careful with the poplar you get as well.

Google fj pine vs. fj poplar vs. mdf to see lots of info and opinions.

Here is one thread to start with:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2584211/mdf-or-pine-baseboards-painted-white

My husband & I are doing the final 3 rooms of a total remodel. We have either removed, refinished or replaced ALL of the trim - crown, base, chair rail, stairs railings & window & door casings - in a 6K sq ft house.

Because everything is a "live & learn", we used a primed pine chair rail - as I really liked the profile. It is fine in the larger rooms, as it is never touched, but in the stairway it gets dinged easily.

But one exception to the primed poplar, is where we had to replace some door jambs. In our experience, mdf finishes better and holds up better. The best option would have been a paint grade maple, but we have some door jambs that are 8" & 10" wide, so we had to improvise.

This has been a long project (life happens), and when we started, we would use some trim from from the big box stores in certain profiles. At this point in time, we only order through lumber yards that use specific mill work companies. (In our area, that's Metrie, Ferche, Colonial Craft.)

• millworkman
    3 years ago

MDF paints great but is subject to damage fairly easily. FJ Poplar is much harder than pine and paints great and easily. FJ Pine is now pretty much all new growth wood and is prone to sap which bleeds thru when painted quite easily, and the FJ seems to show thru more often on Pine than on Poplar.

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

I changed out 80% of my 1968 clamshell trim with pre-primed MDF. It's painted, so I didn't see the need to spend extra on "real wood". I did keep the clamshell on the windows in the bedrooms and the laundry room. Maybe some day it will get changed out, but I forget it's there most of the time.

• jillcdaniels
    3 years ago

This is probably mdf. Swollen

• Mary Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Our casing (3 1/2" beaded colonial) and base (5 1/2" colonial) were both available in either primed fj poplar or mdf. PROPER finishing of the mdf requires that the back of everything and the bottom of the base are all sealed with an oil based primer to help with any potential moisture issues. We did not find the cost savings between the wood vs. mdf worth the extra work.

I think your money will be better spent on new moulding, rather than paying the labor to prep the old trim.

• Jill Daniels
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@millworkman I got prices for FJ pine and poplar, and the poplar is more than twice the price. not sure if its worth it.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Only you can decide that.

• Jill Daniels
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@millworkman I think my main issue is in situations like these. in the picture with the closets, is it ok to put larger trim? it would be 3.5 instead of what's there now which is 2.25, and then the wall space between closets would be very small-1.5 inches about. Would that look odd? Then there are other areas where he said he would cut the frame back a bit to fit, where the door is tight in the space, but then what about the base? Would it look tight and cramped if the baseboard ended into the door frame? If I need to keep this 2.25/2.5 profile, do I need to do that all over the house, or can some be 3.5 and some 2.5? OR just keep this clamshell trim on the doors that I cant make bigger and change the trim on the doors in the living space only?