SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elmerjfudd

Is there a food you like that others find disgusting or off-putting?

Elmer J Fudd
last year
last modified: last year

This question occurred to me for some reason. I remember some time ago in a thread or two a few people mentioned being repulsed by sushi (often much of what some think of as sushi is really sashimi). I love these but understand if others don't, no problem.

There are a lot of foods I think like sushi or sashimi that are common and not exotic or a bizarre ethnic oddity that some people nonetheless find repulsive and don't want to try. Is there a food or dish you enjoy that others don't?

To kick this off, I love herring. It's a staple for breakfast and hotel breakfast buffets in Scandinavian countries. A delightful street food in the Netherlands, in a bun with onions (broodjes hareng). Eaten elsewhere in Europe, sometimes smoked- these are called "kippers" in the UK. Or grilled as in Iberian lands. Here in the US, I find it most easily obtained as pickled herring with onions, sold in refrigerated jars in most supermarkets. Yes, it's there, you may have never noticed if you weren't looking for it.

We eat it as a snack or an appetizer. It's a very healthy fish to eat, high in healthy fats of the Omega 3 variety. Herring is low on the food chain and so less subject to environmental pollution. It's a relative of the sardine and has a very mild flavor. Most importantly - herring is delicious.

Since this is my thread, allow me to dismiss haggis. It's disgusting. Only the Scots eat it and I suspect one must consume a lot of alcohol in advance to numb tastebuds before sitting down to a plate of it. I think I failed to prepare properly. Also, I'm inclined to ask that animal organ foods not be mentioned but I won't and I'll leave that up to you.

Do you have a favorite food that others many not want to touch with a 10-foot pole?

Comments (79)

• ritamay91710
    last year

There are SO many foods I would never eat.....but that's not the question... Lol. I like black licorice, and I know a lot of people hate it, so I'll go with that.

Elmer J Fudd thanked ritamay91710
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

I love Japanese rice crackers. Sadly, I just discovered they are really high in calories. Dried seaweed is great too. And tons of Japanese snack food is amazing, all the shrimp flavored crispy things are delicious. Plus there are potato snacks from Hokkaido that put all Western versions to shame.

Elmer J Fudd thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Related Discussions

What Kind of Food Storage Containers Do You Like?

Q

Comments (44)
    Mtnfever, I just checked my flour containers. I buy flour in 5# quantities as my containers won't hold 10 lbs. I can't lift 10# easily. I do buy the small bags of Bob's Red Mill specialty flours and keep those in plastic bags in the freezer. Cambro rounds-6 liters, 6 qt., use for no-knead bread dough, not flour. Easier to mix in rounds. Cheap at webstaurantstore.com. (Also parchment paper 100 sheets under 5 bucks.) When I put 5 lbs. flour in these following containers, there is enough headroom left on top, so I can put in 1/2 and 1 cup measures and comfortably scoop flour. These containers have lock n' lock lids. Sterilite, -3.8 liters, 16.2 cups Sterilite, 16c, 3.8 liters, 4 qt Rubbermaid, 15 c, 3.5 liters, taller than others I know you were hoping that Cambro would hold 10 lbs. The 8 qt. Cambro would very likely hold 10-lbs, based on my 5# containers.
    ...See More

Have you tried JJ Virgin's food eliminations (or others)?

Q

Comments (11)
    For the average person though, one who feels fine eating everything, exactly what am I going to be feeling if I give up these foods? If you feel fine, why bother? In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I would say it's worth trying for anyone who doesn't feel as well as they would like to. Another thought, Ellen . . . I don't know how old you are, but many people seem to do just fine eating whatever, but then at some point don't tolerate certain foods as well as they used to. Their digestion gets quirky, they lack energy, and so on. My severe allergy to solanine (in all the nightshade vegetables and a few other things) didn't start until I was in my thirties, and has gotten progressively worse. Momrox, I have a tendency toward high cholesterol too, but have kept it in check by being very careful about saturated fats, plus eating oat bran. I've eaten oat bran (raw or cooked) every day for years. I just had my cholesterol checked, and it was 168. That's good for me. Now I have to do better with triglycerides, which are inching up. They're just borderline, though--nothing like the dangerously high numbers I had years ago, before I gave up sugar and lowered my carb intake. When I was stricter about carbs than I am now, my numbers were excellent. I'm sorry about your husband. I'm a widow too, and have to guard against mindless eating. It slips in.... I just came across this website with info on JJ Virgin's approach. I'm sure there are loads of other resources too.
    ...See More

How can you get tile if the local distributor keeps putting you off?

Q

Comments (10)
    I had this attitude too from a hot tub store! Jacuzzi was soo accomodating. So when shopping I thought they were all like that. Asked one place about a ' wet test' (which Jacuzzi offered to buy us bathing suits as we were far from home, and offered to switch the hot water to any tub we wanted). The other place said no to the wet test. And the 1 hot tub that had water in it would have been like (to quote the salesman) "test driving an escalade when buying a fiesta" Needless to say, we bought from Jacuzzi. Which isn't cheap, but we got a great deal (bought a red tag special display model...they actually sold it on us and ordered us a new one...in our prefered colour). When that other company called to follow up, my dh told him we bought the Jacuzzi. Which they weren't expecting. As you know...we were only buying the Fiesta. Lol. Lots of stores will welcome you with open arms and be glad for your business. Hopefully you never have to go there again!
    ...See More

Do you eat other people's food?

Q

Comments (58)
    Looks like various untoward cooking habits tend to drive some people a bit squirrelly? A number of the potlucks that I've attended were family or church-related ... and a number of the people at our smallish church know one another's cooking habits quite well. Don't recall having had any tummy problems in quite a long time. Including my first use of a gifted crockpot last week ... that ran for a few hours, daily, and took forever to cook the smell (so help me, that was supposed to have been "small"!)bits of carrot, potato, chicken and onion ... for almost a week. But I grew up on a farm during World War II, when the hired hands on Dad's large (for those days) farm had gone to war, and we had lots of farm chores to not only keep us busy ... but develop our immune systems, as well. Including pig/cow/horse/chicken manure on hands, clothing, occasionally on face, etc. The dog thought it a real treat to be allowed into the house on a rare occasion, though. Cats/dogs didn't get to lick our dishes ... but, now that I live alone, I've been known to lick out the bowl following breakfast ... to put it in good order for soup, come supper-time. Now that my hairs are fewer ... and shorter ... they get harder to find should they happen to have fallen into some of my food. And ... as someone suggested, quoting someone less fastidious, "... it hasn't killed me, yet". Tomorrow's another day, though. I suspect that I ate some dog in Korea over 50 years ago, though, as I thought that some meat in the soup/stew where I was a guest was a bit different ... and saw an empty dog-hide being carried across the yard, later that day. ole joyfuelled
    ...See More
  • chloebud
    last year

The only thing I can think of right now is cilantro. Love it and have to have it with certain things, starting with salsa.

My husband would be right there with any herring fans…pickled or otherwise. That same fondness did not come with my Norwegian/Swedish heritage.

Elmer J Fudd thanked chloebud
  • yeonassky
    last year

Yes to liverwurst. Also love black licorice regular and double salted. Also love licorice ice cream. Danish blue cheese. Pickled herring and pickled red cabbage. Raw fish sushi and egg roe. Raw oysters. Can't eat it but absolutely still love any kind of sushi.

Elmer J Fudd thanked yeonassky
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last year

I really like chicken livers, liverwurst and pate, oxtail, pickled herring, anchovies, raw oysters, squid, fresh grilled sardines, canned sardines, pickled eggs, brussels sprouts, blue cheese(s) from many countries and Époisses cheese from France. Époisses has a a bad reputation for its smell, and French law prohibits it on Parisian public transport but my first and only experience with it was when we were in Burgundy and bought a round of it from the cheesemaker in Époisses - as fresh as it gets - and it was delicious.

That said, I can't get Limbuger past my nose (my grandfather used to love the stuff). My father kept a big jar of pickled pigs feet in our refrigerator when I was a kid and that's definitly a "no". I will not eat octopus - they are such intelligent fascinating creatures. I find escargo a chewy excuse to eat garlic butter and never order them. Haggis and blood pudding make my toungue tingle. I've never eaten tripe, tongue or sweetbreads and won't go there. Also would never order andouillette sausage in France. I also do not feel the love people have for raw chopped beef with a raw egg on top. In France and in the US it's called Beef Tartare, in the Netherands it's called "Filet Americán".

Elmer J Fudd thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • bpath
    last year

Yeonassky, that Dane always comes through. I like liver pâtés and sausages but not liver. Herring. But not lutefisk. I’m also part Swedish and Norwegian, but no one I know likes lutefisk. Well, maybe one person.

For myself, I like cottage cheese. And cottage cheese with a little ketchup mixed in.

Creamed spinach. Yum.

Elmer J Fudd thanked bpath
  • orchidrain
    last year

No matter how many times DH gags, I will eat my tripe soup. Also, hand me the vinegar to put on my pickled pigs feet. I used to eat raw hamburger meat and pickled herring, but lost my taste for them.

Elmer J Fudd thanked orchidrain
  • Elmer J Fudd
    Original Author
    last year

I like lutefisk. It's a distant relative of salt cod that goes through a somewhat analogous but different preservation process, both dating back many centuries.

Salt cod is most known in Southern/Mediterranean Europe. Salt cod is delicious, very commonly found in Portugal and Spain and also in France, Italy and Greece.

A popular food that owes its existence to the Basques, who discovered the rich fisheries of the Grand Banks of Northwestern Atlantic and went there to catch cod. It had to be salted it for preservation for the trip back to Europe. Two books by Mark Kurlansky, Cod and Salt, explain the symbiotic relationship that centuries ago tied together these two-food production related human endeavors.

• bpath
    last year

I’ve never had lutefisk, mainly because my Scandinavian relatives won’t serve it.

Oh, I forgot to add to my list, beets. Any way, shape, or form, I love beets.

and skim milk, fat-free milk, whatever you call it. I always liked it, even as a kid.

Elmer J Fudd thanked bpath
  • chloebud
    last year

“I like lutefisk.”

Elmer, my grandparents were never without lutefisk. My siblings and I never acquired a taste for it, along with other frequent items on their table. They would serve a dark-colored cheese that was somewhat sweet with a grainy texture. I couldn’t recall the name, and a search gave me Brunost. There wasn’t much Scandinavian fare I found appealing. My grandmother would make a Christmas bread called Julekake. The adults would rave about it and I never understood the appeal. I do have to admit my mom’s egg coffee was amazing, and I was never a coffee drinker.

• functionthenlook
    last year

I also love escargot. But the only time I get it is on vacation in the Caribbean. I tried haggis only once and liked it. Goat is good too.

My dad would eat limburger cheese, picked pigs feet, duck's blood soup and hog's head cheese. None of which I could even past the look or smell to try.

I wonder what horse taste like? Any one ever have it? I believe it is illegal to sell in the US, but in the past you could.

Elmer J Fudd thanked functionthenlook
  • Olychick
    last year

I ran out to do some errands a few minutes ago and got behind a car with a bumper sticker that said ”Just say NO to haggis.” I thought that was a very weird coincidence given that I just wrote about it here!

Elmer J Fudd thanked Olychick
  • kevin9408
    last year

Giblets are my favorite #1 food that grosses out other people. Coming in 2nd is liver and onions, but it can't be overcooked. I'll take these 2 items over filet mignon which happens to taste like bloody liver but not as good as well cooked liver.

Elmer J Fudd thanked kevin9408
  • blfenton
    last year

My DH loves marmite (and spam) and we both love beets.

Elmer J Fudd thanked blfenton
  • lucillle
    last year

I ran out to do some errands a few minutes ago and got behind a car with a bumper sticker that said ”Just say NO to haggis.” I thought that was a very weird coincidence given that I just wrote about it here!

We all know that depending on subject matter one talks about online, , one may very well see internet ads or articles relating to what is talked about from Google. But it is terrifying if the Google effect is now happening in real life.

Elmer J Fudd thanked lucillle
  • colleenoz
    last year

I love love chicken livers and most other innards of different creatures (devilled lamb’s kidneys, mmmmm) but DH won’t eat anything if I cook them so I only do when he’s not home.

Elmer J Fudd thanked colleenoz
  • Rho Dodendron
    last year

Tongue!

no one else here likes it? I like cow tongue cold and also hot. I eat the cold ( lunchmeat?) version about once a decade due to cholesterol and cost. The hot version was something my Grandma cooked.

Also I enjoy chicken or turkey hearts and necks. I never knew that was exotic; just that my husband won't eat them.

Dislikes? Anything carbonated. I say if I'm told to ingest brown cola to save my life I will need to think it over.

Anchovies or smoked salmon aka lox---none for me thank you very much.

Also I enjoy goat meat--it's similar to lamb but much harder to find for sale.

I

Elmer J Fudd thanked Rho Dodendron
  • Alisande
    last year

I think someone else mentioned tongue. I ate it growing up, and beyond. It was common to see it in supermarkets then, but I haven't seen it in decades. Nor have I eaten it since then. Too much fat. Plus at some point I became acutely aware that it's a tongue. :-)

Elmer J Fudd thanked Alisande
  • Jupidupi
    last year

The only milk I'll drink is the shelf stable boxed milk, like Parmelot. I prefer it when it is first opened, at room temperature, but I'll also drink it from the fridge. I make a blender drink with the milk, avocado and a little honey. All this talk of chicken livers makes me reminisce. When I was a kid, the local Kentucky Fried Chicken used to sell the livers battered and fried, original recipe. Wow, they were good!

Elmer J Fudd thanked Jupidupi
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    last year

I like most of the "icky" foods mentioned here--sardines, chicken livers, liverwurst, tongue (always corned), lox, etc. But I also like a combo that most people would find very odd--cottage cheese with kimchi. Not mixed up together, just eaten together. Never tasted haggis or lutefisk.

Elmer J Fudd thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • WittyNickNameHere ;)
    last year

As a Dutch person I'll eat pickled herring maybe once every 10 years, but it has to be on a bun with lots of fresh fine diced onions. I also like smoked eel. And liverworst: YUM! And if you're going to eat licorice, eat the double salted Dutch licorice. ;) I do like Spam, but it has to be in a recipe my mother made. Weird because I was craving it yesterday.

Elmer J Fudd thanked WittyNickNameHere ;)
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    last year

Gefilte fish! Not the gross jarred gunk one can purchase at the grocery, but freshly homemade. I make it a day in advance and serve it chilled, as an appetizer with horseradish sauce.

We also like ceviche and serve it many different ways.

Elmer J Fudd thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • foodonastump
    last year

It’s a hard question because pretty much anything we eat, others will find off-putting. My kids cringe at the sight of peanut butter! I make a pizza with Tellegio that sends the family running.

Of the foods mentioned, there’s only one that I’ve both had and not liked: pickled herring, and that experience was as a child. I’d try it again if offered.

Liver in general is off-putting to me more for the idea of it. But I do enjoy fois gras or an occasional pate.

Elmer J Fudd thanked foodonastump
  • chisue
    last year

Oh, yes, BEETS! I think more women than men like beets. I think I'll treat myself to a jar of pickled beets next shopping day.

As a teen I prefered sweet pickes to jam or jelly with peanut butter.

Today I find a lot of things overly salty and overly sweet. Two cheap ingredients foisted upon us?

Elmer J Fudd thanked chisue
  • Kathsgrdn
    last year

Apparently squash and their blossums lol.

Elmer J Fudd thanked Kathsgrdn
  • marilyn_c
    last year

There are more foods that most people like that I don't eat. I don't eat most of the foods mentioned. I like oysters...only fresh, never frozen, only in winter, and only fried by me. I like okra...any way it is fixed. Lots of people don't like it. I don't eat canned food.... except some tomato products in cooking, and sometimes canned pineapple. I do keep canned broth to cook with, if I don't have homemade on hand.

I don't like instant food....like gravy. I don't like run of the mill bakery products...can taste the preservatives. Don't eat or use canned soup.

Don't like fishy tasting fish. Don't like salmon...altho I liked sardines growing up, eating them with saltines. It has been at least 50 years since I ate them.

I don't like any beans, except green beans or kidney beans...again, cooked by me. I like most vegetables, except beets. I only eat one brand of pickles....Claussen.

I don't eat eggs by themselves. But cook with them. Seldom eat bread, altho I like it. I don't drink milk...last time when I was 16 and drank a glass of it to please my sister-in-law, who I was very fond of. I keep Nido dry milk on hand if I need milk (thank you, Lars for telling about it). I always have full fat buttermilk and cream, to cook with tho.

I don't like game....venison or anything like that. Don't like lamb or mutton. I have eaten goat. It was okay, but it was at a place I visited and I wouldn't eat it again. I also don't want anything that tastes like chicken. Just give me chicken. My mother cooked duck and goose and rabbit when I was growing up....I won't eat that any more.

Horse? God, forbid! If I ever ate that, I don't know it, but I ate something questionable in Mexico one time, but again, not to offend our host.

I am by myself, so I eat what I feel like at the time. I never eat out any more unless I am with a friend. I prefer my own cooking. I was a very picky eater when I was a kid and my parents never forced me to eat anything that I didn't want. I am picky again in my old age.

Elmer J Fudd thanked marilyn_c
  • chinacatpeekin
    last year

Someone asked about horse meat: I spent a gap year in France in 1968, and remember eating horse meat. It tasted good, like a lean steak. Another dish I was served there which I did NOT like was tongue, ew, it tasted…like eating a tongue; no thanks. I visited Scotland as a teenager and recall tasting haggis and didn’t care for it.
    I love any kind of pate, fois gras, and chopped chicken liver, but not calve’s liver or giblets. I don’t like sweetbreads; my father loved to order that in a restaurant. I adore sushi, and often buy a no-rice version at my local market for dinner. I’d happily eat that every day, with lots of pickled ginger and wasabi. I used to eat octopus, but will never eat it again after becoming aware of their intelligence…and yet I am not a vegetarian, which I should be, from that logic. I love soft cheeses of all kinds, and Epoisses from Burgundy is a favorite- Seagrass, I never knew it was banned on French public transportation!
    The most commonly found foods I dislike are olives and bell peppers, and I wish I liked them- my life would be just a little bit better if I did.

Elmer J Fudd thanked chinacatpeekin
  • Elmer J Fudd
    Original Author
    last year

I can understand without sharing the sentiments of horse-lovers about humans eating horsemeat. Horses have been better and more widely known over the years as being like other farm animals owned for what they are used to produce or as beasts of burden rather than pets. As are cows in many areas too. I understand it's a cultural thing. I've never felt any particular appeal of or draw to horses

There are horsemeat butcher shops in France. Maybe in Belgium too, I'm not sure.

• Elmer J Fudd
    Original Author
    last year

What interesting comments. Thanks to those who did so and an invite for others who want to add their thoughts to the collection. People eat what they learned to eat when growing up, or what they like. Or what's common in their ancestral cultures or present or past geographic regions. We're all different.

Here's a thought I have - In the modern world of industrialized nations, there are fewer people living on farms or in rural areas with barely-get by subsistence existences. I think a lot of the practices of eating what I think of as kaka-pupu parts of animals dates back to days when food for many was not plentiful and where if there was something that was on-hand that could be eaten for nutrition without making the eater sick, it was eaten. Some of this stuff has continued on in ethnic or regional traditions. But with some reflection, I believe it's no coincidence that offal and awful are homonyms. Thank about it.

On the other hand, convenience and narrower preferences are more common today. At the other extreme - "Yes, I like chicken, please cook it and I'll buy it". Or "Yes, I'd like some fish, please prepare a boneless filet and I'll buy it". Or "Yes, I like chicken, but please first remove all skin and bones." This last modern food preference providing fodder to the genius Gary Larson, as follows:

• notdancin
    last year

I like fried chicken gizzards and I've eaten Haggis on several occasions when in Scotland. I like it a lot, but I always felt it needed a good shot of hot sauce. I adore Okra fixed any way. Fried green tomatoes, Anchovies, and as a child I loved fried wild rabbit and also sauteed Poke Weed. Lots more but I'm unable to think which ones at the moment.

Elmer J Fudd thanked notdancin
  • samkarenorkaren
    last year

Kathyg.....count me in with Spam and liverwurst!

Elmer J Fudd thanked samkarenorkaren
  • anneliese32
    last year

Having lived through WWII, especially late 1944 through 1945 in Germany, stick it in front of me and if it does not bite back, I eat it, except cilantro. I prefer soap for washing, not eating. I also will try anything I have not eaten before.

Elmer J Fudd thanked anneliese32
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

I like venison which many find off putting. If handled well while field dressing and processing it is very good prepared in several ways. Some people don't care for catfish which I also like. Cleaning the catfish properly is the key, you need to discard the yellowish meat.

Elmer J Fudd thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • Alisande
    last year

Anneliese, and others who have mentioned cilantro, when I had my DNA tested years ago I learned that our genes determine how cilantro tastes. I, too, think it tastes like soap, but those who enjoy it have a different genetic makeup.

Elmer J Fudd thanked Alisande
  • Elmer J Fudd
    Original Author
    last year

anneliese, we had a dear friend for many years who was born in Upper Franconia in the mid-1930s. She freely spoke of the deprivations of the war years and those thereafter. One of her most frightening memories was how near war's end all anyone in her family and town was concerned about whether the American Army or the Soviet Army would arrive first to liberate them. They had bags backed in case they needed to flee west or south. It wasn't until she got older that she understood what the reason for concern was (the war criminal behavior of the Soviets in Germany that involved taking everything of value and destroying much else, and raping women and children). There was a lot of corruption and black marketeering among the Amis but not as much ruthless conduct to jeopardize the personal safety of civilians. Her family left Germany in the 1950s to come to the US and her story had a happy ending after a difficult start.

• Elmer J Fudd
    Original Author
    last year

LoneJack, though I am a pretty open-minded eater of a wider variety of things than most, and someone who will try anything once........ when I come over for dinner, if we could have something other than catfish or game animal meat, great. These aren't off-putting at all to me, I just don't care for the tastes. Thanks!

• chloebud
    last year

Alisande, I’ve heard about the cilantro gene. I get the soap issue and can somewhat taste it. I even used to say cilantro smelled like soapy dishwater. LOL, maybe my genes are a little mixed up since I still love cilantro!

• functionthenlook
    last year

Lone Jack, we had venison tacos tonight. My grands favorite is venison roast and venison pepper steak.

Elmer J Fudd thanked functionthenlook
  • Judi
    last year

I've never enjoyed tofu, but it's not the taste (since it takes on the flavor of what it's cooked with), but the texture.

New to me is tofu sheets. Trader Joe's has a Thai green curry that has the sheets. It's really good! Has a nice amount of heat.

http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/2022/01/trader-joes-vegan-thai-green-curry.html

Elmer J Fudd thanked Judi
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

I read a funny story in an airline magazine many hears ago, written by Jimmy Buffet. He and a friend were on a sailing trip from Florida to the Caribbean and encountered some rough weather, leaving them at sea a bit longer than expected and low on provisions. They finally landed and were hungry, finding a bar serving burgers. He wrote about how great the burgers and beer tasted to two hungry sailors. After getting settled, they went back the next day to find out about the burgers and maybe order another. Then owner/waiter pointed to the sign above the bar. Yep, horse meat. There was more to the story, and I’ve always wished I had taken a copy of that magazine. He could tell the story far better than I have done.

Elmer J Fudd thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Elmer J Fudd
    Original Author
    last year

Little kids pick favorites from among what they're given.

I had a grandmother who was an awful cook, nothing she made was tasty. She once asked me what I might want for dinner for the next visit, and I told her Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. I actually didn't like it that much but I figured she'd get it and it was something she'd be unlikely to screw up. She was able to follow the few simple steps on the box. Thereafter, that became "my favorite" to eat at her house and she'd lovingly planned in advance to have it for me. I didn't particularly prefer it and we never had it at home but at her place, it was "my favorite" when considering the alternatives.

• anneliese32
    last year

Elmer, do you know from where in Upper Frankonia your friend came? It sounds so much as my neighborhood and our concerns at that time. Yes, I am also from Upper Frankonia and after I was caught in the retreat from the East, visiting a family member, got caught up with packed bags once again.

Elmer J Fudd thanked anneliese32
  • PattiG(rose)
    last year

My mother's family butchered their own pigs and chickens, so she was raised eating whatever was served.

I used to like salted beef marrow on toast but couldn't eat it now.

The older I get, the less adventurous I am with what I eat.

Elmer J Fudd thanked PattiG(rose)
  • Elmer J Fudd
    Original Author
    last year

No, I don't and sadly she's passed away.

She was a long term member of the administrative staff in my office and we became close personal friends. She retired before me but we kept in contact. She'd have us over for dinner periodically and would make the real deal, homemade German food.

• blubird
    last year

I truly dislike runny foods such as barely cooked egg yolks and chocolate lava cakes. It's a texture thing. As a child I loved something called lungen stew, which was made of cow lung and I believe pancreas. It was a grey, sort of soupy stew, but I loved it. If I saw it today, I would probably gag.

Elmer J Fudd thanked blubird
  • marilyn_c
    last year

I like catfish, if it is fileted properly. There is an oily layer under the skin, and that is where the bad taste comes from. I never ate salt water catfish, altho I think my husband said gafftop (sp?) were good. I like flounder and red snapper but mostly prefer fresh water fish.

The only venison I ever ate that I thought was okay was mule deer, that a brother-in-law killed and gave a package of steaks to use. He said to "chicken fry" it. He was big on hunting and a taxidermist, so probably knew very well how to handle it after the kill.

Other times people have told me to cook venison and not have the "gamey" taste is to cook it with spices and onions and peppers.

If I have to do all that to make something taste better, I will pass.

Elmer J Fudd thanked marilyn_c
  • Elmer J Fudd
    Original Author
    last year

Agree. Foods that taste good, taste good, without special efforts required to avoid undesirable or unpalatable flavors.

• caflowerluver
    last year

I was raised to eat what was served or go hungry. We ate pretty simple food. I grew up on a farm and we ate lot of fresh veggies and fruit that we grew. We raised chickens from eggs and sold them at 6 weeks. And had chicken almost every Sunday. One of us kids had to hold it while my dad chopped it's head off. Guess that is why I became a vegetarIian in my teens and 20's.

My parents grew up during the Great Depression and ate lots of organ meats. My mom liked blood loaf, headcheese, tongue, and scrambled brains and eggs. My dad ate pickled pigs feet and fish in vinegar. They never forced us kids to eat any of those foods. The only one my mom did make us eat was liver. I hate it and haven't had in over 50 years.

There are quite a few ethnic restaturants in my area and we love trying new foods. Unusal meats I have had are rattlesnake, ostrich, alligator but I won't eat horse, dog or cat. I'm not judging other cultures, I just can't.

And I hate okra. Love every other veggie.

• patriciae_gw
    last year

If you don't like the taste of some meat or other don't eat it. Venison is a great example. It tastes the way it tastes. I happen to really like the taste but I certainly don't want you to have to like it. I really don't like people disguising the taste with heavy flavors. When I eat it I want it to taste like venison. I like catfish. Use pecan meal and sauté it. Wonderful to those who like the taste of catfish. Having skinned my share of catfish I dont think it matters how you dress it. I grew up eating all sorts of game. That included Robin by the way. My Grannie insisted you eat what you kill. My next brother was a good shot. We had squirrel, Quail, wild turkey, I once traded beef for Elk. Who would do that? I have heard Moose is the best but I never had it. Elk is really good. That is if you like it. Some people don't like salmon. So sad but the salmon are happier for it.

I never had ostrich but I did have Emu (I also had Llama and it was excellent) I had it for Thanksgiving one year. Rare. Very tasty. I do not like liver. More for those who do.

• Cherryfizz
    last year

Dulse, dried seaweed. I grew up eating it, better than potato chips in my opinion. It must be an acquired taste because anytime I try to get someone to try it, they take a teeny bit and spit it out haha. It is a bit fishy and sometimes you will crunch a small shell now and then. Expensive to buy now if you can find it in the grocery store. I remember going to the fish market and getting a paper bag full for only 25 cents. https://www.bayoffundy.com/articles/worlds-best-dulse/