Are you distracted by an author's choice of words ?
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (22)
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Discussions
Can you please check my appliance choices
Comments (11)Hi - I'm trying to look through because I think we have a lot of appliance overlap. We just redid our kitchen and "moved in" to use it in April, and I LOVE every appliance. Looking at your list, we have the Electrolux Icon All Fridge/Freezer, the Double Ovens and warming drawer. We're really pleased with all of them, especially the ovens. We did have one slight issue with a drawer front pulling off in the fridge, but hasn't been a problem in the freezer (on your list.) We have the Sharp 27" microwave drawer and while that was new, I really like that (as do my kids!) We got the 27" b/c our cabinet was 27" (and the 30" is really the same size microwave,) just has spacers on the side. Some people complained about the open/close mechanism being slow so we went with the model that you can either pull/push open/close OR use the button on the microwave. That works out well for our family. My kids love it b/c they can reach it (and I don't worry they'll spill boiling soup on their face!) We have the 36" Thermador gas cooktop. Love it! Can never go wrong with Thermador! And, last but certainly not least, we have a Miele Futura Dimension Plus, which both my husband and I agree was the best appliance purchase we made! The dishes are SPARKLING clean and we LOVE the cutlery rack, especially the little part that drops down in the middle for spoons and service pieces and such. I didn't need the LED lighting in the Diamond (for so much more $ - I don't tend to empty the dishwasher in the dark!) And the Futura Dimension PLUS has the feature that the DW pops open after the cycle is done so your dishes dry completely. EVERYTHING we put in is dry when we unload, including an entire top rack full of Tervis Tumblers (plastic) and tupperware lunch containers for my kids' lunches. (For a comparison, we have a Bosch in our wet bar and the stuff is sopping - ahem, 70% dry - when the cycle is done. It's ridiculous!) LOVE our Miele FDP! OK, let me know if you have any specific questions! And, good luck! It feels so good to have appliance purchasing behind you - then it's just the fun of using your new appliance heaven! :-)...See MoreQuestion about 'Authorized Signer' on Checking account?
Comments (25)Stargazzer, let me clarify my explanation as I think we may be discussing two different things. "Step up basis" is not 'a state thing'. It is the IRS definition regarding estate taxes. Yes, there are many ways to deed property. But not all of them are tax-advantaged to the beneficiary. Being ignorant of these consequences can be financially painful. Now, admittedly the OP's SO is probably at a low risk for dying from this surgery! But my point was that this couple has been together for a lengthy period of time already, yet has not made a real effort to consider what MIGHT happen on that future date when something goes very wrong. Because....eventually something will. We all die, and not at the same time; that's a fact of life that is inevitable. No matter what state you live in, or how much your total and/or separate assets are, if you want your assets to go to someone else, it behooves you to find out what is the best way to pass your assets on, with the least amount of hassle and the least cost to the survivor. Loving someone, but leaving behind a legal/financial mess - or even worse, accidentally disinheriting them - is not a kind bequest to anyone. What is the point in leaving someone 50% of the house, for example, if they can't pay the taxes due upon death because the legalities ignored the tax consequences of the original joint decision? For the majority of people, setting up their legal and financial affairs properly takes very little real time, once they stop procrastinating, LOL. There are ways for SOs to leave their various assets to one another without need to resort to a Revocable Trust, for instance. And there is absolutely no time like the present for the OP to begin getting started! These are things (wills, durable healthcare POA, financial POA) that one should do BEFORE something bad happens, because you never know when Life/Chance/Luck may decide to take that freedom of choice away from you....See MoreDo you see a rationale behind these color choices?
Comments (58)I never trust how colors look on a monitor, but that pink color really brings out the pink in the granite. I am no color expert! but I tend to go more with the spirit of the look. The light fixtures you said would be a hard sell don't seem to go with the knob you selected, but I can definately see them with the cabinets, which have an "earthy" feel to me if that makes any sense, and I actually like the granite with the selection of the cabinets, same type of feel, but pink doesn't seem so earthy although I think that and the granite really compliment each other colorwise. If I think of the cabinets as red, and the pink as a "descendant" of red it makes sense. The fact that the pink is grayed, and almost a mauve helps to relate it in spirit though to the more earthy look. And then the silver gray frames I think will look very nice. I know you probably are not looking for comments on the color selection, but I think that is a very fine selection for bridging the gap between what is existing and what is complimentary to that. Would love to see the end results....See MoreThe most recent words you had to look up
Comments (91)My wife asked me what "refulgent" meant - she'd found it in a magazine article. I was able to tell her that it turns up in a song in the Mikado, but I didn't know what it meant. So we looked it up - it means "shining, brilliant or radiant" - and it's marked in my dictionary as "Literary". I've just looked up the G&S - I was actually wrong! This is the song I was misremembering. The sun, whose rays are all ablaze With ever-living glory, Does not deny his majesty He scorns to tell a story! He don't exclaim, "I blush for shame, So kindly be indulgent." But, fierce and bold, In fiery gold, He glories all effulgent! And what does "effulgent" mean? Radiant, brilliant... I have to say that in my opinion, both effulgent and refulgent sound downright unpleasant - it's a surprise to me that they don't mean as they sound. Is there a word for the opposite of onomatopoeia?...See More- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Stories

MOST POPULARA Few Words on the Power of Simplicity
An architect considers a pared-down approach to modern home design
Full Story
MOST POPULARThree Magic Words for a Clean Home and a Better Life
Not a natural tidying and organizing whiz? Take hope in one short phrase that can change your life forever
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNReaders' Choice: The 10 Most Popular Kitchens of 2012
Citing savvy organizational solutions, gorgeous lighting and more, Houzzers saved these kitchen photos in droves
Full Story
KITCHEN COUNTERTOPSKitchen Counters: Granite, Still a Go-to Surface Choice
Every slab of this natural stone is one of a kind — but there are things to watch for while you're admiring its unique beauty
Full Story
LIVING ROOMSReaders' Choice: The 10 Most Popular Living Rooms of 2012
Every design style gets a shout-out in the most saved living room photos of the past year — see if any elements speak to your own tastes
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESSpell It Out: Words of Inspiration for Your House
A favorite quote can enhance a room the way an inspiring idea engages your mind. Here’s how to add word power to your interiors
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDMy Houzz: Author Makes Her Home in a Quiet Corner of Hertfordshire
British novelist Freya North refreshes a dated bungalow to create an idyllic country home for her family
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSThe 4 Potentially Most Expensive Words in Remodeling
‘While you’re at it’ can result in change orders that quickly add up
Full Story
CONTEMPORARY HOMESHouzz Tour: Reading Shapes a Seattle Home
Written words drive the design of a house for aging in place, from a plethora of bookshelves to a personal word wall
Full Story
yoyobon_gwOriginal Author