Author Toni Morrison

msmeow

I just saw on the BBC website that Toni Morrison has died. She was 88.

Donna

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vee_new

Donna, I have never read any of Morrison's work, but going by the various BBC news and cultural programmes she was a writer of considerable importance.

Save    
msmeow

Vee, I read Beloved a long time ago, and I really disliked it, but I don't remember why now. I read it all though - probably my mom or sister or a friend loved it and I felt like I needed to finish it.

Donna

Save    
kathy_t

I read Beloved by Toni Morrison and was certainly affected by the power of its story. But for me it was a difficult read, not only the subject matter, but the writing style. (I read somewhere that her writing style is like jazz music, which I also have difficulty appreciating.) I admit that the challenge of reading this particular novel has kept me from choosing another of her books. That's not to take anything away from her stature as an important or great writer, but rather says something about my reading preferences.

1 Like Save    
carolyn_ky

Donna, I didn't like Beloved either. Kathy has been much more generous than I've been about her feelings for the book.

Save    
kathy_t

LOL - Carolyn, I worked at wording my comments carefully. Thank you for noticing.

Save    
foggyj2

Agree! ----carolyn-ky. ....... and Kathy.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Wasn't she an Oprah Book Club choice ?

Save    
foggyj2

yes. ...Oprah produced, and starred in a movie about the book. It was a flop.

Save    
rosesstink

I thought Beloved was a wonderful book. I also read (some, not all) Booker prize nominated books. My "paradise" includes literary fiction.

ETA: Sula is also quite good if you care to give Ms. Morrison's work another chance.

Save    

Related Stories

Books ‘The Less Is More Garden’: 3 Ways to Make Any Space Feel Bigger
The author of a new landscape design book shows how subtle design moves can help make the most of your outdoor space
Full Story
Features Houzz TV: Life, Love and Purpose Down on the Farm
A Missouri native proves that you can go home again — and discover something entirely unexpected
Full Story
Nursery Ideas Why My Son’s Room Will Be Red: An Expert Weighs In on Colors for Baby
Historical facts, trend recaps and enthusiastic support for painting your nursery any darn color you like
Full Story
Most Popular Why Google Just Paid $3.2 Billion for a Company That Makes Thermostats
Smart home technology just got a new champion — and everyone is speculating about the reasons
Full Story
Traditional Homes Houzz Tour: Light and Lovely Home with a Special History
Trina McNeilly redecorates the house she grew up in for her family of 6
Full Story
Dens and Libraries 'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
More Rooms How to Care for Your Home Library
Increase your enjoyment of books with these ideas for storing, stacking and displaying them
Full Story
Most Popular 7 Tips to Sell Your Home Faster to a Younger Buyer
Draw today's home buyers by appealing to their tastes, with these guidelines from an expert decorator
Full Story
Residential construction specializing in kitchens & bathrooms. A complete service business covering everything... Read More
Found in 1975, M S International offers over 5,000 surface options including natural stone, quartz, porcelain,... Read More