SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 12 - 8 - 17 : 2, Schwartz, Wilson, Galway, Morrison

User
6 years ago

Delmore Schwartz Quotes
American - Poet December 8, 1913 - July 11, 1966

Existentialism means that no one else can take a bath for you.
Delmore Schwartz

Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.
Delmore Schwartz

Love is the most difficult and dangerous form of courage. Courage is the most desperate, admirable and noble kind of love.
Delmore Schwartz

What was the freedom to which the adult human being rose in the morning, if each act was held back or inspired by the overpowering ghost of a little child?
Delmore Schwartz

All poets' wives have rotten lives Their husbands look at them like knives.
Delmore Schwartz

In dreams begin responsibilities.
Delmore Schwartz

Order and disorder, form and formless must have profound psychological roots, nervous roots.
Delmore Schwartz

The Jew is at once alienated and indestructible; he is in exile from his own country and in exile even from himself, yet he survives the annihilating fury of history.
Delmore Schwartz

Even paranoids have real enemies.
Delmore Schwartz

I am of Russian-Jewish distraction.
Delmore Schwartz

I admired my father very much... at the age of sixteen. But now I see that he was a brutal and cruel man, - but not without remorse, and that was what tortured us, his alternations.
Delmore Schwartz

All literature is an effort at the formal character of the epigram.
Delmore Schwartz

Major writing is to say what has been seen, so that it need never be said again.
Delmore Schwartz

I always cause those who are near to me more suffering than pleasure.
Delmore Schwartz

Sometimes even paranoids have enemies.
Delmore Schwartz

To be the child of immigrants from Eastern Europe is in itself a special kind of experience; and an important one to an author. He has heard two languages through childhood, the one spoken with ease at home, and the other spoken with ease in the streets and at school, but spoken poorly at home.
Delmore Schwartz

Flip Wilson Quotes
American - Comedian December 8, 1933 - November 25, 1998

If I could marry my motorcycle, I'd roll her right up to the altar.
Flip Wilson

My happiest memory of childhood was my first birthday in reform school. This teacher took an interest in me. In fact, he gave me the first birthday presents I ever got: a box of Cracker Jacks and a can of ABC shoe polish.
Flip Wilson

Most drag impersonations are a drag. But women can like Geraldine, men can like Geraldine, everyone can like Geraldine.
Flip Wilson

You can't expect to hit the jackpot if you don't put a few nickels in the machine.
Flip Wilson

Violence is a tool of the ignorant.
Flip Wilson

The cost of living is going up and the chance of living is going down.
Flip Wilson

The secret of my success with Geraldine is that she's not a putdown of women. She's smart, she's trustful, she's loyal, she's sassy.
Flip Wilson

The devil made me do it.
Flip Wilson

Get well cards have become so humorous that if you don't get sick you're missing half the fun.
Flip Wilson

When you're hot, you're hot; when you're not, you're not.
Flip Wilson

Don't order one for the road, because the road is already laid out.
Flip Wilson

My show is my statement. What I have to say is on the screen. My life is my own. I don't want to talk about my private self. Why should I?
Flip Wilson

It's later than it's ever been.
Flip Wilson

I was number one in the ratings four times last year and twice this season. What could be more damn equal than that? If they get any more equal, I don't want it.
Flip Wilson

Funny is an attitude.
Flip Wilson

Funny is not a color. Being black is only good from the time you get from the curtain to the microphone.
Flip Wilson

I think Mr. Wilson will have to be the rest of the way alone.
Flip Wilson

It would be ridiculous for me to say anything negative regarding blacks having an equal opportunity on TV.
Flip Wilson

Things can be funny only when we are in fun. When we're 'dead earnest,' humor is the only thing that is dead.
Flip Wilson

My main point is to be funny; if I can slip a message in there, fine.
Flip Wilson

I accomplished what I set out to do. I wanted the whole cookie, and I got it. Now I want to spend more time with my children - make sure they don't go through what I did.
Flip Wilson

A show hosted by a black had never been accepted, so the first time that knob's turned on, people are judging against all they have ever been taught. I may have been the first black in the house.
Flip Wilson

I study a lot of philosophy. I want to be an example of how to enjoy this success, and that's exactly what I've done. I've enjoyed every moment.
Flip Wilson

Variety shows didn't disappear; it was the caliber of the artists, the classic vaudevillians that have passed on. They are gone, so there's a different caliber performer that's come along that hasn't had the time to work in the small clubs and get the experience.
Flip Wilson

After having seen the job done on that first show of mine, I realized that I felt like I wanted to work again for a short while. Two, three years, then stop.
Flip Wilson

I told CBS, 'My career is going down the toilet, and you're pulling the chain.'
Flip Wilson

I have the bug again. I'm expecting the response to seeing the show again on Nick to be very good, and this will set the groundwork for what I want to do.
Flip Wilson

I've had all that you could ask for. The fat lady has sung, and there's a standing ovation.
Flip Wilson

Everyone in this house and the houses next door knows when I'm in the sauna because I start singing, and I sing the blues when I'm in a really good mood. I have a really loud voice, you know.
Flip Wilson

I tell fans who ask me why I'm not doing comedy anymore that I'm a different person. I've grown and I've matured. I've made a transition to where I really want to be.
Flip Wilson

I have my outlet for my humor through my characters, and I also have the intimacy of rapport with my fans that allows me to explain my philosophy and spirituality.
Flip Wilson

James Galway Quotes
Irish - Musician Born: December 8, 1939

I do not consider my self as having mastered the flute, but I get a real kick out of trying.
James Galway

Being unprepared heightens nerves.
James Galway

Never just run through a study because you happen to be familiar with it, but use it to see what you can get from it on this new day which has been granted you.
James Galway

I do not see scales as abstract.
James Galway

Everyone who plays the flute should learn singing.
James Galway

I have to report to those of you who think diamonds make a difference that I cannot tell what it is. Seriously, as you all know, they make no difference at all. They just make the flute look a little more special.
James Galway

I have never received a flute from them for free and I would not accept such a gift from any manufacturer.
James Galway

It is normal to be nervous.
James Galway

I think it is most important for a teacher to play the pieces and studies that are being played by the student.
James Galway

Running through things because you are familiar with them, breeds routine and this is the seed of boredom.
James Galway

You can sightread better if you know your scales and arpeggios.
James Galway

Control of vibrato helps your musical expression.
James Galway

Yes indeed I have gained a lot out of playing scales and etudes.
James Galway

The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
James Galway

You cannot prepare enough for anything.
James Galway

Scales played in the correct musical way are very exciting and rewarding.
James Galway

Jim Morrison Quotes
American - Musician December 8, 1943 - July 3, 1971

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.
Jim Morrison

Friends can help each other. A true friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself - and especially to feel. Or, not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at the moment is fine with them. That's what real love amounts to - letting a person be what he really is.
Jim Morrison

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.
Jim Morrison

Whoever controls the media, controls the mind.
Jim Morrison

I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.
Jim Morrison

The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask.
Jim Morrison

Death makes angels of us all and gives us wings where we had shoulders smooth as ravens claws.
Jim Morrison

There are things known and things unknown and in between are the doors.
Jim Morrison

This is the strangest life I've ever known.
Jim Morrison

Blake said that the body was the soul's prison unless the five senses are fully developed and open. He considered the senses the 'windows of the soul.' When sex involves all the senses intensely, it can be like a mystical experence.
Jim Morrison

Where's your will to be weird?
Jim Morrison

People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death. At the point of death, the pain is over. Yeah, I guess it is a friend.
Jim Morrison

Music inflames temperament.
Jim Morrison

Some of the worst mistakes of my life have been haircuts.
Jim Morrison

I am interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos-especially activity that seems to have no meaning. It seems to me to be the road toward freedom... Rather than starting inside, I start outside and reach the mental through the physical.
Jim Morrison

The most loving parents and relatives commit murder with smiles on their faces. They force us to destroy the person we really are: a subtle kind of murder.
Jim Morrison

Love cannot save you from your own fate.
Jim Morrison
Love, Fate, You
We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict.
Jim Morrison

Drugs are a bet with your mind.
Jim Morrison

I believe in a long, prolonged, derangement of the senses in order to obtain the unknown.
Jim Morrison

It's like gambling somehow. You go out for a night of drinking and you don't know where your going to end up the next day. It could work out good or it could be disastrous. It's like the throw of the dice.
Jim Morrison

I like people who shake other people up and make them feel uncomfortable.

Sex is full of lies. The body tries to tell the truth. But, it's usually too battered with rules to be heard, and bound with pretenses so it can hardly move. We cripple ourselves with lies.
Jim Morrison

When you make your peace with authority, you become authority.
Jim Morrison

Hatred is a very underestimated emotion.
Jim Morrison

Each generation wants new symbols, new people, new names. They want to divorce themselves from their predecessors.
Jim Morrison

Listen, real poetry doesn't say anything; it just ticks off the possibilities. Opens all doors. You can walk through any one that suits you.
Jim Morrison

I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments.
Jim Morrison

If my poetry aims to achieve anything, it's to deliver people from the limited ways in which they see and feel.
Jim Morrison

I'm interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos, especially activity that appears to have no meaning. It seems to me to be the road toward freedom.
Jim Morrison

Violence isn't always evil. What's evil is the infatuation with violence.
Jim Morrison

Film spectators are quiet vampires.
Jim Morrison

I think in art, but especially in films, people are trying to confirm their own existences.
Jim Morrison

The appeal of cinema lies in the fear of death
Jim Morrison

Actually I don't remember being born, it must have happened during one of my black outs.
Jim Morrison

Comment (1)

• anneliese32
    6 years ago

I miss Flip Wilson and the type of programs in today's line-up.

Anybody can master scales, but James Galway can do more with it than most other. Got his concerts on records, tapes, cd's, I think we got rid of the a-track. My recorder playing stopped long ago.

Jim Morison, died much to young and I agree with "Whoever controls the media, controls the mind", that's why I am against censorship. We had it once.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions