SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
granjan_gw

Authors who 'OWN' a specific place?

granjan
16 years ago

I try to read novels set in the place I'm going to travel to. So I went looking for books for our Charleston /Savannah trip. I tried a few but ended up re-reading Pat Conroy'sThe Lord's of Discipline, and The Water is Wide and buying, and then enjoying,My Losing Season even though I dislike basketball!

He had given me memorable pictures of Charelston and Beaufort and the Low Country Islands long before I ever saw them. I needed his descriptions again when I saw those places for my self. I had tried a few other authors including one of Laura Childs Teashop mysteries, but they were all too insipid.

I felt the same way about James Lee Burke when I finally made it to Louisianna. Of course, I had Tennesse Williams roaming around my head in New Orleans, but the descriptions of the land and the water and the swamp were all from Burke.

When I first read Tony Hillerman I was instantly back at Mesa Verde, the only really southwestern place I had been up till then. And when I actually visited Arizona, I was seeing it through Jim Chee's eyes.

These authors are a few of those who have enriched my travels both on the road and in my mind. Who are yours?

Comments (21)