SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_davy45

Countercultural - 1940's-ish Kitchen Restore Before and After

Farley McDougal
last year
last modified: last year

After the bathroom redo and swearing off more restoration projects for our old house for a while, I found a sink. That's it, a hundred and one year old sink that happened to be the right size to fit our small original 40's counters. So, I rebroke out the box of hammers, pull started the old drawing board, and just went unscripted pistachio on the whole thing as the kids say.

If it ain't broke...

I don't need updates. I can't afford updates. When we bought the house, the owners actually apologized to us for not having had the time to redo the kitchen. I was happy with the Non-kea hard close plywood cabinets and what was left over from the old color scheme on the countertops. I did despise the saltio floor tile, but I'm not originally from Beige-Burbington so southwest "style" does not raise my southern wiles in any northern direction.

Let's get on to the photos. I really do love reshooting the MLS photos.

Upper cabinets: Cut in 4 pieces, dowled back together, added glass found in neighbor's trash can. Used leaded glass strips and liquid lead for illusion

Toaster oven: Disassembled and painted with engine paint

Shelf over sink: Corbels found on offer up. Found barnwood to match.

Floor: hold on, I'll get to it.

The fridge was the first thing to go when we moved in as it really didn't fit the space or stile. I sold it for the cash for the old O'Keefe & Merritt and ran gas to it.

Medical cart: hides the microwave

Added "dunno if it works" Sears Homart ebay fan vented up to roof to deal with oven heat.

Green shelf: part of Mom's elementary school cloakroam shelf

Fridge: free

Added paint to counter trim to thicken tile edge.

Cut vent lines and added feet to center counter.

Light: pieces from used building supply store

Yep. Painted the dishwasher. Easy sand and same cabinet paint. No issues.

Made a flip up counter extension for the old mixer and other food prep since the above counter cabinets make the counter space so short.

Curtains: Etsy 1940's flour sack cloth with goodwill sheet for fringe. Thanks to Mom for the sewing.

Stained glass transom added.

Ceiling: Graham and Brown Beadboard wallpaper (2nd hardest part next to floor) + free water damaged baseboard cut down for reuse above.

Faucet: Watermark Fixtures

1931 fridge in mudroom/studio - cheap couldn't turn down find for wife's paints

False board and batten on studio walls (concrete bender board on smoothed plaster)

Floors: Marmoleum MCT Black and Polar. Hardest part, most expensive, biggest investment.

Should have found a 3rd person, but Gentleman Steve and I with a borrowed roller made the end result look professional. Who can remember now about all the cuss words, chagrin, and the #@>% +!&*^~! ^&*%$ing cleanup?

I'll add some messy during-photos here in a bit.

Comments (93)