SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huruta

Vintage Kitchen Reveal! 1950ish Galley with French Accents

huruta
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks to all who provided input over the last year. It's been fun although I'm glad it's (almost) over! I don't think the pics capture the upgrades and new feel and function, particularly since I painted the exterior cabinets and walls the exact same color, but here you go. We opted to keep the vintage cabinetry and splurge on appliances.

Upgrades included:

Lacanche Volnay, French Blue, Electric Oven, Classique top (LOVE!)

Gaggenau Comb-Steam Oven (1/2 off on ebay, score!)

Vent-a-hood 42" range hood with 600 cfm (Like the arch)

Kohler single drop in deep sink

Kohler touchless faucet

Under cabinet lighting all around (LOVE!)

Back splash: McIntyre Streamline Bimini, 2x6 subway

New light fixtures in kitchen (Schoolhouse Electric) and dining room (not shown)

New cabinets, new pull outs, new light in

Newly sanded, painted exterior cabinets and walls in kitchen (Pratt & Lambert, Ambertique, latex), DIY

Newly sanded, painted interior cabinets (Benjamin Moore Advance, Navy color), DIY

Newly cleaned kitchen cabinetry hardware (>100 pieces, thanks mom!)

Kept: counter tops, floors, cabinetry, recessed lights, paint color, refrigerator (stainless GE Profile not shown - on it's way out but we'll live with until it really dies), dishwasher (Bosch, works fine)

Switched heating from oil to natural gas

Thoughts:

The only thing I'd change is the sink. I LOVE the single bowl but this particularly Kohler sink drains poorly so now the sink bottom always seems to have food bits hanging around. There weren't many choices for a drop in sink. We'll live with it.

I would never paint another kitchen again. This was a multi-month saga but my mom and I did it right and it looks great, even close up. Clean hardware is a dream come true.

The only thing that went wrong is that we plumbed our crappy GE Profile refrigerator for ice and water and it malfunctioned after two weeks and left a huge water mess. Until it dies and we replace it we will leave the water hook up alone!

Before

Our Updated 1950s Kitchen with French Inspiration · More Info

Before: Old red paint was from 1967 and was coming off onto food packaging and on food!

After!

New single deep sink with Kohler touchless faucet

Better view of new backsplash and exterior paint job (fridge tucked by door on left side (out of sight in pics)

Lacanche Volnay in French Blue, aka crown jewel

New Gaggenau Combi steam Oven with 3 new pull out drawers and microwave cabinet above oven and no longer on countertop (replace an old dumb waiter)

Benjamin Moore Advance - Navy blue paint (can't remember exact color) now on interior of cabinets

New light fixture, fresh paint, vintage french art on your right (a little hard to see)

Pantry, I installed the shelving and painted the shelves red a few years ago so didn't repaint them navy. We added a light (desparately needed) and an outlet to keep countertops cleaner by putting coffee grinder and toaster in here. Only beloved Moccamaster coffee pot and vitamix are on the counter tops now.

Comments (26)