SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tara_kelly2294287

How to downplay 1940's craftsman style woodwork?

Tara Kelly
6 years ago

This is our living room. It's not been decluttered or decorated yet, just left as-is from my husband's bachelor days. Bonus: it has a ton of light as long as we rip out the curtains.

I know the craftsman style is much beloved, but it's definitely not for me. I married into this 1940's fixer-upper with loads of dark wood, built-ins, trims, floors, and a 3/4 wood paneled wall in the dining room. It's a small house, and it's just... a lot.

My husband loves the woodwork, and I recognize the home value it brings. But I also need to live there, and my sanity prefers a serene, bright, zen space with a few bright colors thrown in for comfort.

So how do I work around all the darkness and quirky lines to achieve a peaceful effect?

Some of my original thoughts are:

• remove the top-most picture trim so the eye can travel uninterrupted from floor to ceiling
  • rework the front of the fireplace to make it a single smooth plane. One less texture to compete with the woodwork.
  • paint the back wall a jewel tone, in a dark shade. Just this one wall, as an accent. Hopefully the darker color will reduce the contrast and allow those shuttered windows to fade away from view.
  • paint (or paper?) the inside back walls of the built-ins to brighten them up and give some color
  • similarly, use bright interior curtains inside the built-in's glass doors to break up the woodwork a bit
  • This one may be controversial -- can I get away with removing the tapered columns?? The non-linear nature of them truly triggers me. I usually sit facing away from them so as not to have to see them. Ideally, I would LOVE to remove the entire dividing wall (columns, trim and all) from the top shelf upward, creating a more open space with just the secretary and shelving serving as a 3/4 divider (I know, I'm probably pushing it here).
  • all the usual updates, like declutter, remove curtains, fresh paint, update the artwork, use large light-colored rugs to brighten the floors, get apartment sized couch & chairs to reduce the overall visual bulk.

Would any of this severely devalue the house?

While I don't love craftsman, I do want to respect it, all while finding a livable compromise. Thanks!

Comments (48)

• cawaps
    6 years ago

I'd paint the picture rail before I'd remove it; they are very handy for their original purpose (that is, hanging pictures) when you have lath and plaster walls.

You can put some kind of painted insert (like foam board) into the back of the built ins. That would avoid any permanent changes.

I absolutely would not take out the tapered columns as they are a classic Craftsman design element. If you are that skeeved out by them you can build a plywood box around them to make them square.

• Related Discussions

Thick layer of wax on 1940's bedroom set?? Please help.

Q

Comments (5)
    This ia NOT a suggestion for any piece that might be even REMOTELY valuable or has veneer. For a while I was into painted furniture and pretty much all of my "raw materials" came from yard sales... dusty, dirty old chairs, mostly. First ones I ever did were 2 neat old (solid wood) chairs with big carved roses on the backs. The fabric on the seats was gross... easily remedied. After seats were removed, got lazy... tried one of those foaming spray cleaners and surface just went a gray, sticky mess... years of hands, polish?? Since I only paid $5 for the pair, was lazy, and didn't have much to lose... pulled out a can of dollar store spray OVEN cleaner. YEARS of crud, wax, shellac/varnish just ROLLED off. I did this OUTSIDE (obviously) and just hosed them off and let them dry. Ended up with pretty much totally stripped, bare wood to start painting on. AGAIN... DO NOT try this on anything you KNOW or THINK might be the least bit valuable.
    ...See More

Decorating Help!! (Cape Cod/Craftsman Style)

Q

Comments (21)
    Wow. I, for one, am sure salivating over those beautiful pictures. Probably not exactly what Matt and Trish were expecting or looking for, but they sure took my breath away. We also are building a Craftsman house. Since I couldn't afford a real architect, I have done my own extensive research. And believe it or not...as useful as the internet is, I found the old fashioned library to be the best resource. I basically designed our plan myself. I tried very hard to stick to some true Craftsman elements with the scale, trim, and openness of the floorplan. Of course I'm pretty sure that my very large kitchen, master bath and closet do not fit the true Craftsman style, I have tried to be authentic in other ways. As far as decorating I do not plan to emulate a true Craftsman because I have a lot of traditional, transitional, and semi-antique (handcrafted pieces from the 1920s-1940s) that I will not part with. I am instead trying to create a Craftsman "mood" by highlighting generous usage of stained woodwork and painted tiles. We also have a decent but small start of a collection of art glass that I will be highlighting. I am going to be using earthy and sort of dark colors to achieve that mood. I know that my house will probably be somewhat dark even though there are lots of windows. The deep overhangs and eaves will sort of shadow the natural light. That's perfectly OK with me. I am not a bright light type of person. I like warm woods and dark colors. For what it's worth, I'm also not a morning person. I hope that the house we are creating will be a work of art and live well with my family. It certainly has been well thought out. I know it is not going to be authentic by any means so I hope that it doesn't offend anyone. The house will be in a historical district. Oddly enough not one of the other houses in the area seem to be a real clear style even though they were all built between 1915-1930. ECLECTIC RULES! I guess we'll fit in....
    ...See More

Finished-Craftsman style renovation

Q

Comments (14)
    thanks so much for all your compliments. There really are flaws, but if you don't see them, then I am not telling ...lol I am so angry at myself for not taking before pictures. My original bath was SMALL, like 6 by 8. We took out a bedroom. (It was a spare bedroom, that we never used except to store crap. We still have 2 extra bedrooms upstairs, besides our master. We are empty nesters, and even when the kids come home, we have plenty of sleeping room, just not enough bath space for eveyone to get ready at once. We also took out a chimney that was no longer needed, but thankfully we were able to keep the laundry shoot! Our new bath size is approx. 12 by 22. We also went into the top of the stairs landing space for some extra space. Which meant redo of the upstairs landing area. The paint color was bought at a local hardware store, and it is Valspar-sentimental yellow. I had chips behind those mirrors during the whole process, making sure of the color in different light, and after going back and forth way too many times, finally decided on the sentimental yellow. There are shower tiles facing the shower door. All subways with a green trim border closer to the top. I hope I answered eveyones questions. Again thanks for all the compliments, my husband will be proud.
    ...See More

need advice on how to decorate a 1930's Craftsman style house

Q

Comments (18)
    Congratulations. Let me chime in late. I have a 1937 home, but it is not a craftsman. There are plenty around in my neighborhood. I did a lot of research into period styles prior to my last round of renovation. By the 1930s, bright colors and lingering Art Deco influences were creeping into other styles. This could be a regional thing, so your area might be different. All of the original tile in our neighborhood is regular square 4x4s, in black, white, pink, aqua, mint green, maroon and yellow. The tile was used in BS, counters and baths. But with Craftsman, as everyone said above, it was all about wood. I love your cabinets and would only add the glass and refresh the finish. But if you did want to paint, white was pretty commonly used (as were the pastels). Counters were usually tile or formica; people now go back to earlier eras and are adding soapstone. I don't know if you saw this thread, but it had a pin board with retro homes. Here is a link that might be useful: Retro Home Thread, Click through to Pin Board
    ...See More
  • roarah
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Declutter and add your things to the room but leave that beautiful woodwork. I would love a geographic blue wall paper to brighten the atmosphere. I love these rooms with wood work like yours. I find these very serene, bright and inviting rooms.

Craftsman Family Home | Ocean Park · More Info

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

Zen spaces are full of woodwork. Turn off HGTV and remember that natural wood is ..... natural and quite lovely and capable of inducing feelings of calm and nature. As for small spaces - ever live in Japan:)

• User
    6 years ago

You'll probably get an earful here from people telling you that it's criminal to change the beautiful craftsman style.

BUT, it's your house, so you can do what you want. If you want to try to turn an authentic, original Craftsman style house into whatever your style is, go ahead. Projects like this can be challenging because you're fighting against the original design, but it's your choice.

I suggest painting a little at a time to make sure that you have picked the right shade of white or whatever color you choose and that it works for you.

Will doing this devalue your house? Yes it will.

• elohbee
    6 years ago

I would take down the shutters and picture rail (very carefully, and label and save it so it could be replaced). I would NOT take out those columns or paint any wood.

The fireplace looks to already be partly painted brick, so i dont think youd lose much by painting it all. I probably wouldnt cover it though.

Lots of light and airy curtains, lighter rugs and furniture, etc will help brighten/lighten things. I'm not sold on the one jewel tone wall idea, but walls are easily repainted, so that doesn't really affect value.

ETA: I just noticed the cove ceiling. I think the picture rail goes well with that and flows into a lot of the trim around the room, so I think I'd leave it. Paint it if you must, but try to live with it first.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

I get why you hate it, but you really can't fix it without losing value to a potential buyer that wants as much original "charm" as possible. If you take out the top piece of wood trim, the chunky bottom trim will look out of whack and the dark shutters won't make sense. The fireplace sets the style for the built-ins, etc., etc. Either you'll have to get over it, rip it all out or sell it. I'm like you, and can't take all the visual clutter of this old timey stuff, I simply couldn't live there.

• elohbee
    6 years ago

Another thought, the walls seem to be a fairly yellow off white which kind of makes everything look dingy--i think the wall color actually does more than the dark wood to make it feel a bit dingy and depressing. I think it might help alot if you either went with a brighter white or a color--maybe a sage green, a light tan, or a warm grey. Something that goes with the wood but feels more bright and clean. I think that would go a long way towards helping you live with the trim.

Oh, and please take down that mirror!

• Debbie Downer
    6 years ago

ooh jh marie, you're good - if there isnt a architectural style called zen-craftsman fusion ... maybe there ought to be!

I would just elaborate on what elohbee said, craftsman/aka arts & crafts style is very much about natural materials, clean strong colors taken from nature. Ironically, its the whimpy white blahness of the walls thats causing the wood to look heavy - those strong wood elements need stronger color and/or pattern to balance it out. And that dingy white/gray paint on the fireplace ain't helping matters either - the natural colors of fired clay would have worked sooooo much better than the incongruous dingy white.

You dont have to do straight period decor, but you do need design + color that works with the elements you have, not against them.

As a sidenote, of course people can do whatever they want with their property - doesnt it go without saying? But this is a public forum where people have opinions and sometimes quite strong. Ask for opinions and you will receive!

• elohbee
    6 years ago

Also, keep in mind, you can keep the craftsman architectural elements, but go a different direction with decor.

• lizzierobin
    6 years ago

I would rather see you paint the wood than remove it. If you paint, the next person that buys it can decide if they want to strip the woodwork.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I'd rather see you sell the house and get one both you and your husband love! Yes, you will destroy what some people really want in a house, but it's not your taste and you shouldn't have to live with it. Declutter, sell it, and find a house you love!

• jlj48
    6 years ago

Sigh... I would LOVE a craftsman house. I would NOT change the woodwork, just paint and remove curtains to lighten the space

• hamamelis
    6 years ago

It can be wonderfully downplayed to become a delightfully detailed textural/architectural feature simply by painting it very light to blend into light walls. Searching will find many Craftsman/Arts and Crafts homes, including many fine, expensive, professional redos, that have been lightened (and "feminized") by painting everything white or some variation.

Another option is harmony of value (light-dark). Painting the walls a much darker color so that it is similar in value to to the trim would simplify the look, replacing strong light-dark contrasts with mostly gentle shadow lines.

As for affecting the home's resale value, in most historic neighborhood, where original architecture brings premium prices, painting the woodwork would likely lower the home's appeal and the purchase price sufficiently to to cover both the costs of restoration and the new owners' bother and delayed gratification. If it's in a more conventional neighborhood where homes tend to reflect current styles and that don't draw people willing to pay a lot more for historic architecture, painting and making it more conforming with current tastes for light interiors would very likely strongly increase appeal and thus value.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    6 years ago

As an old home lover, I almost didn't respond. But that isnt helpful. Original details are what keep the value on a property.

My DH is a mid century guy and he joined me in our Spanish Eclectic house. So I sort of get where you're coming from

I would paint the walls bright white. Replace light fixtures with bright ones that you like and put the originals, labeled, in a safe place. Remove the shutters and replace the curtains with something you like. Decorate with light and bright furniture, carpets and accessories.

Think about making temporary changes that please you, but can be reversed.

• emwallace25
    6 years ago

You could easily replace the small mirror above the fireplace for something that extends above the picture rail. That would at least break it up a little bit. And I'm all for the last bit about adding rugs, decluttering, etc. You could remove the shutters from the small windows (obviously mark and keep in a closet, don't throw away) which would minimize the wood along that wall. This is just an oddball thought...If you REALLY hate the woodwork, have you thought about running a row of curtains on each side of the craftsman room dividers? You could do light linen sheers or the like and that would eliminate the look of the wood without actually destroying it.

• Mariel Warren
    6 years ago

PLEASE be careful and NOT remove/destroy the resale value of your home. Craftsman homes are really beautiful and are beloved for that beautiful craftsmanship/woodwork.

• sprtphntc7a
    6 years ago

i agree with much of what was already said.

i would paint. i think a darker color will downplay the dark trim/wood.. i also like the idea of wallpaper. remove the mirror & light fixture on column. do not remove the column.

i think the FP is not original. that is something i would re-do. there could be something better behind it!? if it is original, i would paint it and to make it look cohesive. i do not like it at all. find a style specific example and copy it. craftsman-fireplaces.html here's a link

not loving the shutters. replace with something you like. if original, put away in case u sell.

keep the top trim piece., it makes sense.

find pics on houzz that u like and copy it,

• Tara Kelly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

All - thank you, I adore people with strong opinions. :) To those suggesting to sell the house, that's just not in the cards. I have to find a way to live in it. For the existing "decor", yeah, this is just the way we bought it. My husband has been living in it while fixing it up, but we haven't really touched a thing yet.

@cawaps - thanks for the tip on using painted inserts at the back of the shelves. That's a good work-around. And @emwallace25 for the curtains idea - it's a train of thought worth investigating.

@hamamelis - good question about the neighborhood. It's hard to tell right now. It's an old neighborhood, and not a very valuable one at the moment, quite crime ridden (this is why we were able to buy here to begin with, and no where else within a 30mile radius). I have no idea how it will develop in the future. It's our long bet that it WILL improve someday. For comparison, we spent less than 1/3 of what houses go for in that same 30mile radius on this one.

@elohbee - yeah, those are much nicer. Note the higher ceilings though, and they lack the chunky columns and all the extra trimmings going in all directions. If I could strip back the woodwork in our house to this level, that would totally work.

@jhmarie - :) touche' - but again, that house has harmony. It's not the wood I dislike. Zen lines are straight, the textures are kept to a minimum, and that floor looks like one would walk on air. It lacks the bulky, overdone heaviness of craftsman. I could totally live there! (I haven't live in Japan, though I've had my fair share of tiny spaces while in Europe).

Thanks all. It looks like getting rid of the columns is a no-go (my pipe dreams are shattered!) but I may be able to disguise them a bit, and I guess I can always place the side chairs with their backs to them so I just don't have to look. There's actually a lovely alcove that used to be a porch where the large windows are. I can put a love seat in there that faces outward and just focus on setting up a pretty garden to look at.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I'm with elohbee, jnmarie, and others

(aside from that I can't really see the wall color since it looks different on two pics..one shows yellow-ish, one actually doesn't)

I wouldn't paint the accent wall in this living, but I don't see the whole living..it's also more or less easily reversible and while you paint you may discover a lot about the house too-maybe you'll see it in a whole different way, whether you stop at that wall or continue painting:)

I'd go with non-fussy decor that would look great in house, being to your taste more but not competing with the house.

As in mid century modern.

Doesn't have to be all brown wood you can mix it up with white tables/colorful chairs/etc

Go with bright cheerful lighting. Can be as simple or as elaborate as you wish. Or so I think

Bring rugs-they'll brighten the space. In general, add patterns that make you happy. wallpaper? curtains? yes to bck of built ins since why not. I love the foam suggestion..you can change these at your heart's desire

but it might be full with pattern in other way too

Take out books. Put on art. Don't forget plants. Your woodwork will become a beautiful background. Imagine it's a forest. Well ok..imagine it's a forest on a sunny day..with strawberries, forget-me-nots, and birds chirping:)

very zen..at least to me. Granted I'm influenced by my childhood memories but still.

When you fight with the house..the house always wins.

Let it be whatever it is(it does have tons of character..it won't go away. it's like with kids-you can break them if you're really willing, but what for?)-and it'd be tricked/convinced into being your ally. Then it will like it. Then you'll like it. Gets more and more zen..:) lol

It's a challenging, yet fun jorney.

• rockybird
    6 years ago

I live in a very bright and open modern home with pops of color. I am a big fan of this style. But I dont think your space looks very dark at all. On the contrary, it looks very bright. I think it must be the contrast of white and dark making it look bright? I absolutely love that fireplace. Personally, I would not paint or remove any of the wood or fireplace. I would not want to devalue the home. I would declutter and accessorize and furnish with bright pieces. BTW is that an old push button phone in the cabinet?

Also, my midcentury home came with walls of red rock. I was not a fan of it initially, but now I love it. In time, you may grow to love your home and the uniqueness of it. By accessorizing it with your own choices, I bet you can create a unique and bright home.

• Tara Kelly
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @rockybird - yup it's an old school phone. My 3yr old loves to play with it. The buttons make lots of noise and that curly wire provides lots of entertainment as it gets wrapped around stuff.
  • Rudebekia
    6 years ago

Please don't destroy your beautiful woodwork. As others have pointed out, it it the white wall color that is currently sucking the life out of your woodwork. A very typical wall color of the period that will enhance rather than deaden your woodwork is a golden yellow; I like a light golden yellow although the period often called for a darker one. Check out the Sherwin Williams Arts and Crafts colors for original paint colors and, again, consider a lighter tone. Clean and polish the woodwork and I think you will start to embrace the beauty you have. Also, look for inspiration from the many books on bungalow style out there. Even if you don't own a bungalow, you'll get lots of inspiration on color, furnishings, etc. I like Bungalow Nation myself, but I am biased because my former house is in it! Paul Duchschere's books on bungalows are classics, too.

• amykath
    6 years ago

Tara, any chance you can post some more photos? I am trying to see the ceiling in the second photo. Does it have a small white trim piece at the top of the wall at the ceiling?

It would help to get a better feeling of the overall look of the home. In the pics you posted, I can understand the frustration of the dark wood trim for the picture railing. It does make the room look lower, at least in the photos. I would need to see more to get a better feel of how that trim works in relation to the house. From the photo you posted I can understand your desire to paint that rail.

• amykath
    6 years ago

We have wood ceilings and I went with a very dark wall color. I think it works nicely with the wood. We do have white painted trim, but still love the look of the wood with the dark paint regardless of the white trim.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Before reading all the comments, I knew a majority would say leave all the woodwork, it's what adds the charm.

I am going to be blunt. Looking at the room you posted, doesn't give me the "oh, this is such a charming craftsman house." I agree that for some reason there are too many things going on.

The pictures others posted look nothing like yours, although they are craftsman.

I agree to try to downplay some of the woodwork. It sounds like you want to be in this house for the long haul. You need to reach a compromise. I like the idea of removing and saving the molding.

• deegw
    6 years ago

I would take everything out of the room, clean the woodwork, remove the shutters and paint the bland beige on the fireplace to match the rest of the brick.

Consider painting the walls blue which will look fresh and also make the busy dark trim recede.

Here is a link to a great blog about updating a dull, dark interior without painting all the woodwork. The before pictures have a very similar vibe to your photos. The after photos look great and I think the look would be very attainable for your house.

HENHOUSE blog

I like how she covered the woodwork with her window treatments.

• Tatiana [USDA 6]
    6 years ago

Whatever is going on with those heavy wood shutters is killing me inside. I dunno anything about Craftsman and I can get that the style has charm? but also omg there is just so much going on in this room, it's pretty overwhelming. There are plenty of non-permanent options for covering wood - y'know, like those peel & stick 'wallpapers'? - and i wonder if something like that, to lighten up the wood of the shutters, plus a bright print or a big fluffy plant, would help to brighten the room.

• roarah
    6 years ago

I respectively disagree that the ops wood work is not as beautiful as the inspiration pictures in this thread. Her room is not living to its protential that is true...change the paint to something brighter or a wall paper, put away books and clutter, remove mirror and paint the fireplace surround one color and the wood could be the star it was meant to be. this might not be the right wall paper but it gives an idea that it is the dingy white paint that is at issue not the dark wood.

• cawaps
    6 years ago

If I were to take something down and put it in storage, I'd start with those shutters.

Aktillery, in addition to the cove, it looks like the ceiling is recessed about an inch from where the cove ends, like this one. It provides a place to switch from wall to ceiling color if she took out the picture rail.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

I think the "so much going on" is more the stuff in the room. I realize that this is a room in transition, but the only contents I see are black, the curtains are dull, there's a kitchen trash can next to the fireplace and a lot of clutter around. It looks like a fraternity house, not a living room.

I understand that it's not going to stay that way, but I think it makes the room look depressing and it's hard to even evaluate what it really looks like. The big difference between the houses with the "nicer" woodwork, and your house is that the other houses are already decorated, not that the woodwork or ceilings in those houses are nicer.

It's would not look one bit better or brighter with the woodwork painted white if it's still going to be a room with a black TV on a black melamine stand next to a black keyboard on a black stand next to a trash can across from a dark table with a pile of junk on it. And I understand living like this I am not criticizing the "housekeeping" or anything-- I had a bathtub on a palette in my front room for two years, and I have a lot of boxes piled around as things get done. But its not the house or the room, it's the stuff in it that is depressing.

• Vith
    6 years ago

Why do people recommend painting the trim? No it is not easy to strip it and restain, that is a significant difficulty and may not turn out as good as it currently is. People recommending painting the trim have clearly never finished wood before.

Leave the trim alone!

All you need is correct wall paint and new lighting fixtures to give more light. That or brighter bulbs. If a space feels dingy it usually just needs more light. I agree with the poster above your white is not really white, its been yellowed either from a previous smoker or just a bad color.

The mirror above the fireplace can go, it doesnt help any there. Actually makes it look worse.

I am not sure if I see a crown trim up above but if it is, then it doesnt match the rest of the trim, which looks odd. I would put crown trim that matches the stained wood.

You bought a craftsman house, why dont you like the trim? It is kind of the whole point of the house.

• Tara Kelly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, the walls, wood, everything needs a scrubbing and polishing. This house was bought in serious disrepair. The paint they chose was a cop-out "throw some paint on it to cover grandma's old MINT GREEN walls so we can sell it". Even the furnishings (couch, rug, mirror, blackout curtains, clutter, I know) were all either handed down or bought second hand just to have something more than an empty house until we fix it up. So, the room is definitely not living up to it's potential.

I'm including a few more pics so you can see the ceiling (it's coved), opposite wall, and the entrance way to the living. I *really* want to get rid of that picture rail.

Accent wall

I did love the idea of the graphic wallpaper as suggested by roarah, and I spent much of last night ordering some samples to test out. Funny, I think you actually mocked up one of the samples I chose! I also chose some others which are lower contrast (mostly shades of blue), and we already have a paint sample for a rich blue painted wall to test out as well.

d_gw that is a stunning makeover, and the kind of result I am striving for.

Ceiling / Picture rail

Another issue I struggle with are the cove ceilings. Any accent wall needs to stop at the picture rail, which means I have to keep it. The cove ceiling, plus the picture rail, really just make the whole house feel 2ft *squatter* than it actually is -- like a hobbit house.

Any thoughts on squaring off the ceiling? Then I could get rid of the picture rail (remove or paint it) and gain a lot more perceived height. Also the freedom to cover a wall from floor to ceiling.

Also, that picture rail just feels so anemic compared to the rest of the wood, and it runs the entire house. It makes me batty.

Shutters

Hooray, some consensus here! These are coming down (good idea on storing them for a future owner).

Fireplace

I might take a stab at removing the terrible paint job and see what state the brick is in underneath. With natural brick, they texture may make more sense. And if I do go with a blue-tones accent wall, then it may create a nice warm break in the cool. I can always completely change it afterwards if it still doesn't work.

Alcove / Converted Porch

I don't think the trimming on this is original. Unlike everything else in the house, it has rounded corners. I may just remove this wood trim here, and look into if it's possible to remove the separating wall entirely. This will remove the "alcove" but will make the living seem that much bigger.

• roarah
    6 years ago

If you post pics of the papers and paint colors you are thinking of here I can mock it into the room I saved the instant alpha picture I used. The top pic I posted has that exact cove ceiling and picture rail as your house. Paint or paper to it like they did. Then paint the top wall and ceiling a bright white to accent the cove ceiling detail. It is an architectural feature coveted by many.

• Vith
    6 years ago

If you really dont like it, then remove the picture trim. The room for sure needs central light fixture. It is dark with only the two wall lights. Crown trim should match, either that or remove that as well, it looks incorrect as is.

Get an electrician, remove the picture trim, patch the holes for the electric runs and new paint.

• melinda1977
    6 years ago

I agree with many of the posters above. Start with your last bullet point (choosing a very light colored paint), and I think you will see a major transformation without touching the historic and valuable woodwork. However, I would remove the shutters and leave those windows uncovered. Also, replace the slim mirror above the fireplace with a larger one (portrait format and a leaner, secured to picture rail) that will break up the strong line of the picture rail a bit.

• roarah
    6 years ago

Is the alcove where the key board is?

I have an alcove or sunroom also attached to my living room with a double door entrance rather than taking out the wall, because as it is an exterior wall it was really not an affordable option, we ended up treating it as part of the living room most of the time but separate when one wants to be alone with the doors. We have a matching color small sofa facing the main living room most days and at Christmas we move that along a side wall and place our tree in the center of the room as to be very visible from the main living room and enterance hall. Alcoves when done right can be wonderful features in homes.

• elohbee
    6 years ago

I think you can remove the picture rail (carefully, and save it for a future owner)--i agree it makes the walls feel chopped up and shorter.

As cawaps showed above, you can run the wall color up to that little notch at the ceiling. Please, please don't get rid of that cove ceiling--its a wonderful architectural feature.

I think it'll be too much hassle to strip that brick--i can't even imagine how you would do it. It's worth a try, but I'd probably plan on painting it.

• Tara Kelly
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    roarah, yes the alcove is where the keyboard is. take a look at that molding and it's rounded corners.

I also am pretty sure tearing down that wall would be a no-go as it is likely a supporting wall given it used to be the front of the house.

I need to measure, but I think it is wide enough to fit a loveseat, or maybe we can do a built-in sun bench. I love basking in direct sunlight and this is already my favorite spot in the whole house.
  • palimpsest
    6 years ago

The brick can probably be stripped with one of the Peel Away products from Dumond Chemical. They are caustic, but biodegradable and do not have dangerous fumes like some products. They just have to be handled properly and I would isolate the area away from children and pets when the product is on the brick

https://www.dumondchemicals.com/home-peel-away-smart-strip.html

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

you can't really square off the ceiling

what you can do-you can paint the ceiling color..either the wall color or the lighter version of it. to keep this cool cove effect but visually lift the height

but it's hard to do with just an accent wall. that's the reason i wasn't sure about accent wall in the first place

the picture rail..my problem'd be technical. i'm not there so i can't see..they put it everywhere-will you encounter possible problems when removing it, will proportions change somewhere? they secured it to a lot of existing trim, right? look at it everywhere and decide whether by taking it off you're creating new dilemmas

if no-take it off

if yes-you can a) paint it the wall color. b) ignore it. overlap art there, a mirror as was suggested..don't treat it as a picture rail. arranging stuff right strictly under it will only pronounce it. or does the cove start immediately after it?

• roarah
    6 years ago

My sunroom is my favorite spot too and my kids quiet playroom. I used an apartment size sofa from pier one. Actually my entire house needs apartment scale furniture for it has very limited wall space throughout...

Here is how I incorporate the alcove in my old house that some previous owner sadly painted all the wood work except for some doors. I striped the doors they had painted and afterwards decided to do the trim was too much at this point in our lives. When the kids fly the coop maybe.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

this Henhouse makeover is a very simple one(she probably did clean/refinish the wood?)

she picks wall colors that make the woodwork play. she contrasts her wood. gives it more life so to say.

she brings a lot of visually light furniture (and yes, mcm usually goes with many many interiors..it's easier to mix and match, since it has this simplicity and honesty about it, and the lines can be square or rounded. but I can see other styles there too-a bit of industrial? a bit of a cottage, more light hearted? a bit of each? quite a lot of things would work)

she brings a lot of lighter/brighter fabrics and art

she switches traditional heavier looking lighting for simpler one

and last but not least-she takes a brighter photo that downplays that trim..:) ta-dam-brighter room

she really worked with the content. not changing the house itself

i've no idea though whether she had this rail or not

(btw I'm looking hard to find the alcove..but can't find it lol. I am looking for the keyboard can't find it either..)

• roarah
    6 years ago

The alcove is to the right of the tv in her second picture.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

thank you!

• House Vixen
    6 years ago

Hi Tara -- lots of great advice upthread about how to transform the feel of the rooms while doing very little to change the architecture (also on team remove shutters here...and preferably put nothing up...I've only ever seen accent windows like that left bare but...).

April's nailed it re the before/after shots (perhaps a wide-angle lens, too?). You aren't that far away from your own after in that space, though it may not feel that way. Whether you end up with paler or deeper wall shades the key is complementing the wood, so Google This Old House tips for cleaning it so you're working from the best starting point.

As someone who's lived in vintage fixers and been involved with fixers I also just wanted to offer encouragement. There's a real mental health toll to living in disarray with no end date, spending spare time fixing, not having enough budget to fix or decorate immediately, perhaps navigating different priorities for what gets fixed when, etc. If any of those apply it's draining...not sure of your story, but if they all apply it can cause even more issues.

If you have space to call one room or closet or whatever the crap room, do it and clear as much as possible out of these rooms. If you can DIY the scrubbing and painting do that asap...i think you'll feel a real lift when you walk through the door.

If you need to furnish on a tight budget, post separately for ideas you may not have thought of.

While I love love love older homes they can carry so many styles of design -- see examples others' posted plus homes of Europeans, who laugh at our idea of "old." I Rx zero heavier dark wood pieces since you're already struggling...hopefully your husband will be on board!

• Debbie Downer
    6 years ago

OP thx for addiitional pics - I think you have an exceptional craftsman interior, at least it would be considered that around here ( a booming midwestern college town). You have all the matching built-ins intact and it doesnt look like its been futzed with much, nor trashed by slumlords and their college student renters.

I think we have consensus about getting rid of the shutters - they may have been a later addition anyway. I thought the whole point of clerestory windows was to have the light/ventilation but without needing to have curtains - in all my yrs have never seen them covered.

• Tara Kelly
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @Current Resident - the rest of the house (kitchen, hallways and bedrooms) have all the woodwork painted over already. So it's half and half in terms of being intact.

My husband has already started stripping the kids' room and I think he has brought it all back to plaster and wood (not sure, I haven't seen the house, or him, for over a week while this is going on). We we're lucky, no lead paint in there.
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!