OT.....escaping sock comes to a bad end
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (11)
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Discussions
Has anything knocked your socks off this year?
Comments (24)Frank is correct that the peach looks like Elberta. And the timing is right for Elbertas around here. The problem is Elberta is freestone (as with just about any late season peach) so unfortunately it's not Elberta. My guess is that it's some commercial cling canning variety. Note there is absolutely no red in the flesh (red in the flesh is considered a huge detriment for commercial canning peaches). There are a lot of cling canning varieties out there. I planted a Babygold #5 this spring. It is supposed to ripen about this time, but there are a ton of canning peaches out there, so it could be anything, or perhaps even rootstock of a canning peach (like Lovell or Halford). This post was edited by olpea on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 19:56...See MoreSocks
Comments (36)DH just called me to say he got a text message from BM to 'please gather up all SD's clothes that she bought and send them back.' She said she's got a bag of 'our' clothes that she will trade him on Sunday. (at least I can nix the idea of mailing them back) I just counted and we have exactly four pair of socks, two pair of torn up shorts, and two tank tops. THAT's IT. DH says she's probably trying to get clothes for summer by saying we have her clothes here. Maybe she's just looking for something to start more crap, because I can see her throwing a fit when he hands her the bag with four pair of socks and two outfits. LOL, of course we do have two big bags of yard sale stuff that doesn't fit her anymore. I guess we could be asses and send that over there. (Nah!) I don't even have to buy SD any new summer clothes. She has all her shorts from the beginning of school (she hardly wore them to school) and she got a bunch for her Birthday, so I don't have to go shopping until 'back to school' time. Fortunately, we don't have a community sock basket. My kids all do their own laundry & have hampers in their rooms. My husband keeps his hamper in his closet & I use the one in the bathroom. SD has her hamper in her room too so her stuff isn't washed with anyone else's. When the kids were small, I used to wash everyone's together and I HATED sorting the socks. I'd rather toss them & go buy new ones than waste an afternoon sorting out whose is who? That drove me crazy and I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore....See MoreWinter sock it to me time!
Comments (102)Yowzah, we're getting socked again! This one is a real mess, worse than the recent blizzard in that it is snowing heavily with it piling up quickly. With the wind blowing, and drifting so high, we won't have hot water until we get out and clear away the heater vents. Worse, it will be topped with sleet and freezing rain which will make clean up very difficult. Then whatever we don't clean up today won't get cleaned up as it will be freezing solid... tonight it's supposed to be near zero. OK, I'm ready for spring now!...See MoreHas anyone tried Gekks socks/shoe liners?
Comments (38)I love Gekks although they are expensive. For decades I have tried all the solutions to no-sock look, from footies, to toe covers, and half foot covers. All of them showed above shoe line or slipped and bunched, or caused blisters creating extra friction with the elastic at heel or along the top seams. The pretty lacy top liners gave me blisters and never looked that evenly spaced peeking out of my shoes. Gekks is the first sock liner that works for me: for flats, loafers, and sneakers. Since there is nothing else like it, I pay the high price to keep one in each pair of my favorite shoes. I was not interested in spending the time moving and reinstalling to another shoe ( they do last longer if dedicated to one pair of shoes). Solution to issues I have read about: 1) Gekks not sticking to some shoes; 2) adhesive can damage shoes with delicate leather liners like Everlane; 3) limited budgets for an expensive product to buy for each shoe in closet. But there is an easy solution: put a thin gel (or other) 3/4 insole in your shoes and attach the Gekks to the insole. Then move the insole to any other shoe with Gekks sock attached. Voila! issues solved for any shoe you could use with a thin insole! There are many insole products. You can search for "thin shoe insoles" on AMZ. For Rothys, which have removable insoles anyway, choose one of your Rothys basic color insoles, attach the Gekks, then just move the Rothys insole with the attached Gekks sock... from Rothy shoe to shoe. Then you only need one Gekk style per Rothy style in your closet. Start collecting slowly: Attached to a movable 3/4 insole (or one of your basic color Rothys insoles) makes Gekks work for any shoe that you could use with a thin insole, although the Gekks heel adhesive would wear out sooner, but a great solution while you are building your collection. I recommend 3/4 insoles because different shoes have different toe box shapes and it is hard to make a full insole fit perfectly for moving shoe to shoe. The heel adhesive may wear faster moving shoe to shoe, but you should get a good amount of use while evaluating Gekks while giving your budget time to add more if you love them like I do....See More- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

MOST POPULAROvernight Guests Coming? How to Be a Great Host
Ensure a good time for all — including yourself — by following these steps for preparing for and hosting houseguests
Full Story
DESIGNER SHOWCASESVersailles Comes to the 2019 San Francisco Decorator Showcase
For the monthlong event, designers mix trendy and classic looks in a 1904 house modeled after Le Petit Trianon
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEEnd the School-Lunch-Prep Chaos
Make mornings less hectic with kitchen drawers and baskets dedicated to kids' lunch boxes and accessories
Full Story
ECLECTIC HOMESHouzz Tour: A Toronto Home Comes Back From the Brink
Not even squatters deterred an interior designer from turning an abandoned 4-bedroom into a chic, unique home
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGEscape the Inheritance Trap: What to Do With Sentimental Pieces
Too meaningful to toss but too hideous, precious or unusual to display? These ideas can help
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLWhat Bad Habit Is Driving You Absolutely Nuts at Home?
You may be noticing some unfortunate behaviors in the people you are sheltering in place with. Share your struggles!
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGBid Bad Garden Bugs Goodbye and Usher In the Good
Give ants their marching orders and send mosquitoes moseying, while creating a garden that draws pollinators and helpful eaters
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDThe Great Escape: Family Rebuilds After a Devastating Wildfire
Tim and Tammy Holmes survived the 2013 Tasmanian bushfires but lost their home. See how they’ve started over
Full Story
DESIGNER SHOWCASESEscape to a Summer Holiday Fantasy at a Hamptons Show House
Imaginative designs meet philanthropy in a sprawling New York home, in rooms meant to inspire — if not actually live in
Full Story
LIFE‘I Saw a Glowing Orange Flame Racing Down the Hill to My House’
With more wildfires raging in California, a Sonoma County artist comes to terms with escaping the October fires intact
Full Story





annpanagain