SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimdrummond

8' Full lite ProVia Smooth Doors- Legacy Steel or Heritage Fiberglass?

kimdrummond
last year
last modified: last year

Hi, looking for pros or others who own these doors. I am replacing a single steel entry door, side lites and transom with double doors. 8' Full lite ProVia Doors with a smooth finish painted white. Looking for modern and clean. Doors are directly below a large window 67"W x 104"L. Southeast facing, covered, and well shaded by trees and structure.

Purchasing through Pella rep in Austin because they are doing lots of remodel modifications for multiple fiberglass replacement windows and doors in my house, and I want to work with One Guy. I've read copious articles about steel vs fiberglass doors and am leaning to fiberglass because of my 11-year-old boy/torndado's ability to dent anything, including the steel door I'm replacing. I want to know if this being a mostly glass door, rather than a solid door, adds or negates anything about the pro-con list of steel vs. fiberglass?

Cost of Legacy Steel without install is $10,500. Heritage Fiberglass $10,900. So money is not the thing. No need for Signet because I don't want it to look like wood, and Signet actually has a tiny bit of glass loss compared to other two in an 8' door. For some reason, steel comes with with the option of dual action lock, even on 8', and fiberglass must be a multi-point Trillenium lock. Dual action has lots more styles for handsets.

Attached a photo of the two options using ProVia design tool and see no major visible difference. Note: the Legacy image is shown as a 7' door because of limitations of their design tool. Maybe I'll seem some difference when I can see the finish on both in the showroom.

Tell me what you know! Kim in Austin

Comments (12)