SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wordhoarder

Am I overthinking this? Replacement of 90s front door

K.R. Phillips
5 years ago

We are replacing the entry door and sidelights on our 90s house because of rot to the wood door, which has very little overhang and eastern exposure. We are looking at a steel or fiberglass door in 3/4 or full glass with sidelights because we have enjoyed having the morning light in our living room. Our choice is probably ProVia Legacy steel or Heritage fiberglass, but we are still getting quotes and options. We are not overly concerned with privacy because we are located relatively high on a slope at the end of a cul de sac. Our style is pared-down/streamlined traditional, and we are located in the Southeast where it is humid and warm for a large part of the year.

Question 1: Style. Am I on the right track, design-wise, and blending with the architecture? Which do you think looks better? 3/4 or full glass?

Question 2: Color. We are looking at a dark bronze paint color. Would a brighter color suit the house better? Does it even matter when the door is set back quite a bit from the front of the house? (*sigh*)

Other door-related feedback is welcome. I may be asking for HOA permission to remove the shutters. The entry stairs and that little planter area next to the garage are slated to be demolished and replaced in the reasonably near future, but the door replacement is more urgent. I was working with an older photo for the mockups, so the landscaping looks a bit better now, and the fascia has been replaced.

Current look (the door is a muted red):

Full glass:

3/4 glass:

Thanks in advance for any opinions, critiques, encouragement, or other feedback you have time for.

Comments (9)