SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

More pics of Spring garden from yesterday - Mme Caroline Testout

jacqueline9CA
2 years ago

I had a Cl Mme Caroline Testout (which I got from a neighbor - we estimate that the original bush was planted in the 1920s or earlier - her house is about 1908). It was climbing up our brick chimney to the roof of our 3 story house. We cut it down to about 8 feet, and I am trying to train it onto the exact middle of the base of the chimney, which is pretty broad. Hoping that I can get it in the exact middle, so that it will be up against brick for a couple of feet around it.

Anyway, I was fussing about having (perhaps) to get rid of that rose, when I found out on here that there is a bush form, which some people said blooms more than the climber. So, I ordered it, and it is the only "new" bush we have or are planning on planting in our "new garden". When it arrived (in a 1 gallon pot, I think), it had 2 canes, but they were right next to each other, and were squashed together - growing together with a lot of force. I was not happy, but my DH said we could gently pull the 2 canes away from each other. So, we pulled them apart gradually, tying them to stakes, and gradually getting them further and further apart. To my joy, if you drew a line between them, a brand new can emerged at 90 degrees to that line, so it is equidistant between them. It is also growing like Jack's beanstalk, also to my joy. Here are a couple of pics of my new baby Caroline Testout:

Jackie

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting