Houzz Logo Print
webuser_883305248

Suggestions to update 1990’s Ethan Allen living room

Eileen
2 years ago

Comments (60)

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

Didn't read all. I love, love, love the floral sofa. Just love it. I just got so excited seeing the photo I had to comment before I read what everyone else wrote. I like the other upholstered pieces too. I also like the brass touches.

Maybe the swagging drapes could be modified to a solid velvet color to coordinate with something... perhaps a pale blue. I think the artwork on the walls could be replaced with actual paintings instead of glass over prints. The room calls for a bit more here in the artwork department!

The rest is all personal taste, which you already have. I just love traditional rooms and I'd love to have yours. Nice that it has lasted so long.

Eileen thanked Mrs. S
  • Mrs. S
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I just want to add something, kind of relevant. For a few years, I kept an Architectural Digest article about a gorgeous home (I think it was Malibu?), traditional, but with such interesting details, like a tin ceiling, etc.. What I remember so clearly was the floral sofa fabric, which the designer took to a special shop that quilt-stitched around every floral design on the entire fabric. Can you imagine? Dozens of yards of fabric! So that the flowers/leaves appeared quilted. It was really pretty, and I have never forgotten that attention to detail that is possible for really high-end decorating. Your sofa reminds me of that one. If you still like/love it (and it's in good condition), please don't let folks dissuade you from the floral, just to become a modern farmhouse.

Updating is fine, but with a knowledgeable touch I know you already have.

Eileen thanked Mrs. S
  • Related Discussions

Ethan Allen Bookcase Decision -- Dark Wood or Light Wood?

Q

Comments (11)
    Thank you to everyone for all the thoughtful replies! I agree that I shouldn't feel pressured just because there is a sale and normally, I'm not impulsive at all when buying furniture (which drives my husband crazy because I take forever to make decisions!) However, I've never purchased furniture from Ethan Allen before and my understanding is that it rarely goes on sale. With the state of economy, perhaps that is changing. Some of you suggested that I get a quote on a custom piece like this in a painted finish. I did have a number of an Amish carpenter and contacted him today about this so we'll see what happens! I'll keep you posted. Thank you so much to everyone! I appreciate your advice and if anyone has any additional input, I'd love to hear your opinons! This is a great website and I hope to start visitng more often again!
    ...See More

Any Recent Experience With Ethan Allen Sofas?

Q

Comments (30)
    I am happy to share my experience with Ethan Allen Sleeper sofas hoping it will help others. We bought a Paramount Sleeper Sofa in 2013. In 2017 we noticed that the front pad that supports the cushions was bulging out (see photo). We contacted Ethan Allen and they said that because the problem was not in the frame, it was out of warranty. I looked at other pieces of furniture in our home and I noticed that the EA sofa, unlike other items, had a very “squishable” pad to support the cushions. We told EA that the sofa is seldom used (at most 20 times per year) and that my husband an I are not heavy and felt that there must be a problem with the design or construction. The final decision came in an email, from which I copy directly: “In conjunction with our warranty department, Jenn and I have carefully reviewed each of your questions and concluded that the sofa is up to our manufacturing standards.” We were told that our only option was to buy a replacement pad and pay a technician to replace it. When the pad arrived it was tightly rolled in a box (see photo). How is this soft pad supposed to support the weight of someone sitting on it? As I wrote EA, the sleeper and frame are “great”, unless one sits on the sofa. Not a good thing... for a sofa. And certainly not good “manufacturing standards” for Ethan Allen.
    ...See More

Is Ethan Allen made in the USA?

Q

Comments (33)
    Everyone forms their own opinion about the quality of furniture also budget is the key role, I try to do my research and a majority of descent furniture companies make the upholstery Goods in the Carolinas doesn't pay for them to make them overseas even though the case goods are usually made overseas.. style is another factor , Harden furniture is made in Upstate New York from trees grown on their property ..beautiful furniture quality is fantastic but the style is limited you could check out their website, I like Mitchell Gold upholstery goods they're made in the Carolinas huge material selection, and they're not crazy price I just purchased a sofa for 3000 which I didn't think was that bad.. Sherrill is another furniture manufacturer little more pricey but beautiful.. I always liked Thomasville Furniture prior to being made overseas I thought the upholstery goods and case goods were great yet someone who prefers Baker would turn their nose up at Thomasville, Bernhardt, Drexel ,henredon etc... personally I thought they were all nicely made and designed Furniture prior to being made overseas. A little research will go a long way and I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for for the right price
    ...See More

Ethan Allen a quick ship fabrics

Q

Comments (13)
    Christopher, thanks for the rendering it looks great! The windows at the top of the picture happened to be French doors that lead into the living room. Knowing this would you still do a sofa that extends past the opening? Or would you push everything back? That is the biggest issue I am having right now is organizing this room, the French doors. Behind the sofa area on the left, is a round kitchen table and then the kitchen. So I can’t go to far back.
    ...See More
  • MarleneM
    2 years ago

Nice room but my first impression is it needs some tweaking to make it a bit more lux. A great piece of art over the fireplace could elevate the room so maybe start there. Photo below is a great example of impact art makes.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/westfield-traditional-living-room-charlotte-phvw-vp~21725382

I too love the sofa, but with the matching drapes and pillows it’s too much. I’m also wondering if you turned the rug if green chairs could go across from sofa, and pink chair to in front of secretary. For drapes I would consider replacing them with silk side panels in a nice blue/green.

Eileen thanked MarleneM
  • Kendrah
    2 years ago

Ethan Allen from the 90s might be some of the last furniture made well enough to last for generations. Keep what you have and reupholster it in a neautral solid color that will endure another 25 years of trends.

Not sure what kind of look you are now going for. I’d consider removing valence, get long linen curtains, remove the small pieces around the room like fireplace decor and see whatelse you like in it’s place.

Eileen thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    Bergen Furniture & Design
    2 years ago

The 1990s era was also very good, and it is still fine according to that era, so I don't think there is anything else that needs to be changed except for minor additions or deletions.

Eileen thanked Bergen Furniture & Design
  • RedRyder
    2 years ago

Just an idea: remove the valances and rug, cover the two blue chairs with white sheets and take another photo. Then you can see how to rebuild the room with your floral theme.

OR you will know you don’t want the floral and need to look for a new fabric for the couch.

You have high quality furniture, so reupholstering is going to be the way to go. Your room is large and lovely, but yes, it’s a bit outdated. It’s overwhelming to look at it AS IS and be able to visualize something else, so get the busy stuff out of your vision (I think the rug is one of those things) and give your eyes a chance to “see” another version.

It also helps all of the Houzzers willing to give you ideas.

Eileen thanked RedRyder
  • apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

This is a beautiful room. Some background and context would help.

Are you the person who decorated it? Are you looking to change the color scheme with new fabrics? Change the accessories? Do you have a budget range in mind?

Changing the starring fabric to a chinoiserie style would be a new look for this traditional room. Here are two colorways of the classic Schumacher Chiang Mai Dragon pattern.

Schumacher Chiang Mai Dragon Fabric, China Blue · More Info

Schumacher Chiang Mai Dragon Fabric, Jade · More Info

Eileen thanked apple_pie_order
  • Maureen
    2 years ago

So much depends on budget as well as what you are keeping, reupholstering, buying, etc. Have you looked at inspiration pictures that you could also share? Updates will mostly be driven by your seating decisions and if you are thinking of quite a few changes, I’d hire an interior decorator to help.

No matter the direction you head, suggest a new fireplace surround and paint grill black or invest in a more simple style.

I’d remove valences, add a larger, lighter rug, some new art and accessories.

Try exchanging couch with chairs and add a console table/large art behind couch. Also suggest adding a large coffee table that connects the seating.

Eileen thanked Maureen
  • decordummy_gw
    2 years ago

I am thrilled that you posted this!! I have been lamenting that there are not enough traditional rooms posted any more. When I look in Houzz for traditional rooms they all seem to have been posted at least a decade ago (need new eye candy). Another vote for removing the swags, and just having straight panels. Lovely room - please post pics as your changes evolve.

I just changed my artwork from oil paintings (fall colours) to prints (summery blues - under glass with gold frames), and I love it.

Eileen thanked decordummy_gw
  • jck910
    2 years ago

What kind of updates? New furniture? Just paint? Although a beautiful room it is kind of grandmotherly. Do you ever use this room? If you do, how? Obviously, no TV so just for entertaining? I would freshen it up by changing to just panels on the windows. Move the sofa to face the FP and the green chairs flanking the FP. Clear off the mantle and get larger art. I would reupholster the sofa but if you love the floral no need.

Eileen thanked jck910
  • hollybar
    2 years ago

Depends how much you wish to update? I'd start by removing the valences & reworking the mantel. New art and no matched faux (?) topiary. Unless you love the rug there, I'd replace it with something more fresh and quiet in tone. The matched chairs could be a re-up but ,sad to say, may not be worth the cost.

Eileen thanked hollybar
  • elcieg
    2 years ago

I had the yellow chintz in my bedroom. Exactly! I think your room looks beautiful, it was a job well done in the 90's. I would still have it all, but when I move I sell the house furnished, so I never have the dilemma.

Without selling everything (and why would you), I suggest you have the draperies redone and just have panels and not the swag. Just because I love it, I would keep the sofa as is and reupholster the two chairs.

The small table and mirror could go, also the prints behind glass, and the mantel decor. The brass and glass pieces scream 90's, so goodbye.

Put the accent chair in the now empty corner; face the sofa to the fireplace and put the two upholstered chairs on either side of the fireplace.

Choose a raffia wrapped coffee table. This one from Ballard Designs.

Would take a couple more photos and not do panorama?

Veranda had a 2020 issue that featured yellow living rooms and according to the magazine you are right in style:

Eileen thanked elcieg
  • elcieg
    2 years ago

Addressing Beverly's comment. I just finished up a job and the owner didn't want to have the wood work (lots of and gorgeous) repainted. Working with the B.M. Linen White, I suggested pairing it with B.M. Muslin for the walls. A winner. With all today's design, we can forget what has worked beautifully in the past. Buying quality furniture is an investment. Kudos to OP who chose timeless decor.

Eileen thanked elcieg
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Wow! What a lovely room. I agree on window valances (remove). I would like it take a cut at a modified floor plan. I need measurements of length and width of room plus space between windows, openings and width of fireplace. I like the rug but have a different idea on it’s use because it is too small for the room. I think with some tweaks, the room can be updated using your existing pieces and adding/changing a few things once new space plan is developed. So pretty.
    Love to see some quality rooms!

Eileen thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Auto correct! “I would like to take a cut”…

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    2 years ago

I love everything about your room. The only thing I would change is the swag valance and I would NOT put the drapes to the ceiling. I detest that look.

Eileen thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • happyleg
    2 years ago

Your drapes don't need to go to the ceiling you have molding up there your drapes are in the okay position and I like your room I would take the Val ance

Eileen thanked happyleg
  • salonva
    2 years ago

I am another who really likes the room, but I would probably just change out the window treatments. Of course, tweaking here and there is always fun .

I sure hope the original poster comes back...........

Eileen thanked salonva
  • Eileen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I got sick this weekend and am still recovering.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Hoping you perk right up!! Glad to hear from you. Get well!

• pleballerina
    2 years ago

I miss seeing rooms like this. I wouldn’t change much-maybe some new artwork and update the drapery, as others have suggested. Hope you feel better soon and I’m looking forward to seeing what yo do with your lovely room!

Eileen thanked pleballerina
  • arcy_gw
    2 years ago

SOOOOOO glad to read others who think that it would be silly to put holes in the walls just to get the curtains to the ceiling!!! It's a horrid look most of the time. With your coved ceiling some might argue the curtains are at ceiling height now!! The valance is the single item dating the room, seconded by the fireplace doors. The brass really screams 'Look at me', and it's not worth the notice. I think it would be a shame to lose the pretty panels for bland solid. I can see how re-upholstery would freshen the room. Much could be done with just the accessories to bring this room into this century.

Eileen thanked arcy_gw
  • Pam
    2 years ago

Your pieces are lovely. Also you are right on trend for todays “grandmillenial” style. Google it. It’s big right now and for good reason. A few tweaks and your room could go in a current decor magazine. Please don’t reupholster your couch unless you personally dislike it. I agree with others here that I love it!

Eileen thanked Pam
  • RedRyder
    2 years ago

So sorry to hear you were sick. Hopefully all the interested Houzzers will help you feel better. 😊

Eileen thanked RedRyder
  • ptreckel
    2 years ago

I would keep the brass doors to your fireplace. There are other bits of brass throughout your room and I think it looks fine. If you want a change, I would get a fabulous antique brass fender for your fireplace backed with a simple black screen. It would look beautiful!

Eileen thanked ptreckel
  • Rachel
    2 years ago

I want to comment that it is apparent how good the quality of your furnishings are given they are 30 years old. Even if you opt to reupholster every piece with more modern fabrics, you will be ahead of the game as it is impossible replace this quality except at the highest price points. I'm sure one of the pros here can help with selecting some fabulous fabrics.

Eileen thanked Rachel
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

What you do really depends on what you want. If you just want a refresh I might suggest new, less formal window treatments and reupholstering some of your pieces. The green chairs would be good candidates. Or, do you want an entirely new look? If that is the case I might suggest replacing most of what you have in your room.

Eileen thanked Norwood Architects
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

What a beautiful, gracious room, I love it. Such a sight for my sore decorating eyes. While I like and appreciate many styles, it’s so refreshing to see this traditional style, with lovely soft colors and patterns. Timeless elegance.

All that said, I understand living with something a long time and feeling ready for some freshening up.

Sorry to hear you’ve been ill, and hope you feel better soon. When you’re up to it, please post more photos and more specific info on what your goals are.

Eileen thanked Jilly
  • jjam
    2 years ago

I love this room! So elegant but also restful and that couch looks so comfortable. I don't think you need to change much either. Remove the valance and keep the drapery panels. I'd consider replacing the rug with a larger one with texture. A good quality seagrass rug would be beautiful I think. Or, something light, with less pattern, that covers more of your floor. Then I'd get another glass top coffee table that is less ornate.

Maxwell coffee tables

Just those three things would make a huge difference I think, and would still maintain the elegant yet comfortable feeling. There were a lot of good things going on in the 90s, design wise, and this room has many of them. Timeless!

Eileen thanked jjam
  • Pam
    2 years ago

I notice your pretty but forlorn bar cart off to the left. It’s just begging to be a star! Luckily, bar carts have also come back into fashion and they can bring glam, glitz and sparkle to your decor. I’m including some styling ideas to get your imagination going. You might even decide to make it more of a star in the main room.

Eileen thanked Pam
  • liasch
    2 years ago

Sounds like maybe you need a change as opposed to a total makeover. When you look at the room what are the things that no longer spark joy… It’s probably not the whole room it’s probably certain items that you are just tired of looking at. I agree about the curtains but beyond that I suspect there’s certain items that you are just tired of looking at after 30 years. Looking at it from the outside it’s very elegant room but we haven’t been living there!

Eileen thanked liasch
  • Eileen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m back! Whew, feeling much better. Thank you. This was my first time posting on houzz. The photos I posted were from about a year and a half ago. I’m always moving things around, taking photos to be more objective. The photos were for me and I didnt realize the shortcomings seen in the pictures during my ”switching things up” tasks, i.e., moving lamps off tables, removing accessories from the mantle, sheers off for cleaning, etc., you get the picture. I’ve loved reading all the comments and suggestions. At this time I’m not looking to take drastic action, just tweaking to update or make small changes. Actually I love this room but at times it can look tired and really outdated to me. We have purchased an off white sectional for our adjoing family room and I’m trying to decide on accent color(s) and styles that would flow into the living room. Each room is traditional and has complementary colors. In other words, changing the living room or family room’s neutral color, or color palette will interrupt the flow and make me want to change it! Again I’m not looking to purchase all new furniture, I can live with what I have but would like to update so my grown children will stop telling me to throw my stuff out and become a minimalist. see photo of new sectional with 2 old chairs. Warning: work in progress, not magazine ready!

• Eileen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Happy to hear you’re feeling better!

Eileen thanked Jilly
  • Eileen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My thoughts exactly!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Glad to hear you are on the mend. It should be pretty easy to blend both rooms without major expense and changing out everything. Pillows for your sectional with some living room colors might be a place to start.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Just some quick ideas for adjoining room. More colorful art, pillows and a throw.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Hi. May I say... with very soft warm beige walls [?], maybe to work with the new -- use same paint color for all or part of the side units [at fireplace].

Might help if houzzers could search online with your paint names. Are both rooms the same color?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Can't easily find photos- but here's a bit like yours. They say their walls Benjamin Moore's Natural Linen #966 / back of the shelves is Mountain Laurel #AC-20.

Pacific Heights Transformations · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I post this cause you have liked green [chairs]: "Create a cocoon with dark green (or very green teal). Take the same color right across the cabinetry as well as the walls....

hmm... maybe same color you love on the walls, for cocoon room, could have same color over other room's furniture??

Debnam House · More Info

Befitting the soft, relaxed vibe, metallic accents are minimal, but apparent if you look for them, gently glimmering away; the cabinet handles, bronze lamp base and slim mirror frame add gentle gloss and polish to this peaceful room."

Eileen thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

Idk that this helps to show lighter floor stain! Would seem to 'lift' look with florals, etc..

[Pink plaster paint, brass fitting, enamel fireplace, original floors.]

Walthamstow Village (ugly house to lovely house) · More Info

Eileen thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

One more accent idea for the palette: a berry color to cover the green chairs. Sofa covered with flax / natural color.

Family House - West Hampstead · More Info

Eileen thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

Tie together with other room's new sofa -same color for pillows, etc.

Eileen thanked everdebz
  • basavagelyon
    2 years ago

So many good tips from everyone. Just commenting to say you should 110% replace the artwork. Depending on what vibe you're going for, everything else in the room could be made to work (though maybe not all together), but the artwork can't be saved.

Eileen thanked basavagelyon
  • MarleneM
    2 years ago

Glad to hear you’re feeling better. This may be more changes than you’re wanting to make, but thought I would share this inspiration photo I found a few day ago. This is what I had in mind when I suggested green drapes, and I think your sofa would look great in a more neutral room like this.

Eileen thanked MarleneM
  • ffpalms
    2 years ago

Here are a couple of suggestions for accent colors for your family room to enhance the flow with the living room.

Eileen thanked ffpalms
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

Yet another post! If floral sofa is to stay, imo, the entire fp wall stained wood makes an out-of-date impression.

Save houzz photos in your ideabooks, and take time. It's work to figure out costs into the mix too.

So far new sofa... please what should we call that room?

I have bought furniture covers - what are your thoughts?

• jjam
    2 years ago

MarleneM, that is a great photo, and exactly how I was picturing a larger, more neutral rug. Could be a natural fiber or maybe just a lighter, more subtle pattern. I love the soft green accents too.

Eileen thanked jjam
  • Eileen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for your input! I now will be looking at this room with a different set of eyes. This process has been an experience. Since I’m not tech savvy, I struggled with responding to individual comments. Sorry about that. This room has served us well in terms of entertaining, reading, reflection, and tapping away on the piano. I’m now more confident to make some changes and I thank you for that! I‘m looking forward to making some changes, especially with the artwork!