SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_sutcliffe52

Help choosing Benjamin Moore paint colors for new home

John J.
2 years ago

We’re soon moving into our new home and need to quickly choose paint colors, as painters may start as soon as 4-5 days from now. Hoping you guys can offer any advice on colors. The whole main floor has wood floors — kitchen & family room have slightly newer, lighter wood than the hallway and dining room.

We need to paint:

• entryway area
  • dining room
  • kitchen
  • hallway
  • hall doors
  • trim in dining room, hallway, kitchen (trim in family room is staying wood)

None of the furniture or curtains pictured are staying. We still havent really decided what we are doing for furniture. We need to choose paint first unfortuantely. I know many of these photos aren’t great - and mostly were taken in late afternoon.

We would like something pretty neutral for the hallways, and part of the dining room, and also the kitchen. I’m thinking going with maybe a different color for the family room? And I kind of like how part of the dining room (in dining room, the window wall and fireplace wall are darker than the wall adjacent the kitchen/hall), so may want to keep that scheme, but would like to switch out the colors.

Family room:

Wood ceiling and wood floors. The left side of this photo faces southeast, far wall faces southwest.

Family room:

From kitchen, more daylight

Family room:

Facing kitchen

Kitchen:

Mainly looking for advice on color for that far wall with the window, and the divider between the kitchen/family room. We’re undecided as to whether to paint over the greenish backsplash area, open to any advice.

Entryway and front door:

We‘re painting both sides of the door. Thinking of going with a darkish navy - the exterior is mid-light grey siding. Considering paiting the banisters white but havent yet decided. Open to input on this too!

Another view of entryway:

Dining room:

dont have many pics of here for some reason. This mainly shows skylight. Also a white fireplace on far wall. Hoping to find a better pic of this room soon.

Hallway:

I know not a great photo. Will be replacing the door hardware with silver/nickel finish. The hall doesn’t get much natural light so would like to keep it relatively bright. But I’ve heard it can be counterintuitive to paint a dark hall too bright?

Regarding trim, we plan to paint all trim in the halls, dining room, etc. and want a nice bright white. But I udnerstand there are even tons of options for which shade of white to choose?

We are very new to all this and hoping for literally any advice you can give. I tend to like pale, cool-ish grays for main color, but not sure how well that would work with the wood, particularly darker wood floors in hall/dining room.

I can try to provide more context or even photos if needed. I may also edit post to add some photos if i find more.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (12)