SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1920shomereno

Benjamin Moore exterior paint colors - stuck on 2 schemes, help pls!

1920shomereno
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi,

After hours of trying the Benjamin Moore visualizer tool & painting samples on my house, I have to choose paint colors by tomorrow and am at my wits’ end.

I need to choose four colors- porch, trim, foundation, siding. We have a red brick chimney, a brand new charcoal roof, live in a 100 year old house (historic neighborhood), and the neighbors’ homes are light yellow and light blue. I’m trying to go for a bright, light, coastal-ish feel.

I’m down to two main options, but am hopelessly bad at understanding undertones and whether or not these colors will truly look good together at scale, or if there’s a better option.

First option, all BM colors:

1. Siding: HC-165 Boothbay Gray
  2. Front porch: this is where I’m struggling. Do Normandy, Van Deusen Blue, Hale Navy “go” with Boothbay Gray, and are any of them appropriate for a front porch (and potentially stairs, and foundation)?
  3. Foundation: does this generally match the trim (I.e., white) or should it match the front porch?
  4. Trim: Pure White. It looked like this was a “cooler” white, but if I want a crisp white, should I be avoiding?
  5. Front Door: love Marblehead Gold, but does this feel off given the cooler-toned colors above?

Second option, all BM colors:

1. Siding: Normandy
  2. Front porch: Whitestone. Should the front porch be lighter than the siding?
  3. Foundation: same question as above - is it more standard to have it match the front porch or stairs?
  4. Trim: Pure White, same as above (assuming this white coordinates well? Whites are a whole other confusing ballgame.)
  5. Front door: am hopelessly lost. I painted Caliente, Marblehead Gold, a lavender, and Hale Navy but none look good with Normandy and this scheme.

For both options, I’m considering painting the risers of the front steps the trim color.

Any thoughts here are much appreciated!! I’ve attached a pic of the samples on the house (second from the left is Boothbay Grey; fourth from the left is Normandy) and my feeble attempts at the BM app for both.

Comments (7)