2 years ago

Who doesn't understand these new games?
Wordle
Canucks
Needless
Quarles
October
Heartless.
I've looked at them and have no clue how to play.

Comments (47)

• sal 60 Hanzlik
    2 years ago

me too

• Related Discussions

knobs on drawers pulls on doors, am I the only one?

Q

Comments (18)
    Thanks guys, I've been watching cooking shows today and obsessing over hardware! Guess what, America's Test kitchen used knobs on drawers so it must be ok! (or maybe it was the other show I watched?) I wanted a real mix of hardware, yes I love yours Igloo, but I made too many other choices! I got too tired out. DH will be around tomorrow for install so I told him to decide on placement FOR me! Yes, "decision prison" LOL!! I'm refusing to decide on a backsplash for now, even though we have a history of never finishing everything! I think I would just pick something safe, which might be ok, but I don't want to regret it later. Sooo anxious to see it in real life and see if it all comes together!!!!
    ...See More

I want my kitchen to come in color. Am I the only one?

Q

Comments (46)
    In the last 2 years we've completely gutted and redone 4 bathrooms. They were all red and green saltillo tile and used to look cheap and cartoonish. The bathroom are now neutral, but far from boring. My theme for the new bathrooms was modern moroccan. I love color and have a red sofa, orange chairs, teal headboard, lots of color in upholstery and drapes, etc, but having the permanent items in the house be such strong/bossy colors is just too much.
    ...See More

Am I the only one with a list of of hostas already ordered?

Q

Comments (24)
    Thanks for asking Debra! 🥰Zoe ‘s leg is healing marvelously, she’s running in the paths I had to dig in the backyard for my short legged dogs. She’s really fussy about what she will eat because the tumor is taking up precious space in her tummy. I hope she makes it til spring, she likes basking in the sun. She is still a happy girl now. Sherry
    ...See More

Am I the only one this bothers?

Q

Comments (6)
    Whether videos that autoplay (even if they play muted), animated gifs, slide shows that autoplay (especially ones that purposely don't include the easy to include pause button), and any sort of movement (sliders, etc.) distracts me to where I can't read the static content. "Just ignore it" doesn't work for me. Unless I really really need/want to read the page, I often back out of it. If I do want or need to make use of the page I'll take time, sometimes more than it's worth blocking distractions. It's amazing what you can do with an adblocker once you learn how. I see no videos here. No ads. No movement period. :)
    ...See More
  • aok27502
    2 years ago

I play Wordle, but none of the rest. I tried Octordle or whatever it's called but never figured out how it works.

• pegasus101
    2 years ago

Not mentioned but I play Worlde. It's geography which I have always loved. Don't get the right country everyday but it's a fascinating game.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Don't know Quarles but there is a quordle which is just like wordle only you're solving 4 wordles at once.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

And an Octordle, where you're trying to solve for 8 games at once.

It's nice to see someone else who likes Worldle - it's really challenging for me, but I'm getting better all the time.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I enjoy worldle too, but not sure how much I'm learning vs. how much it confirms the areas of the world where I lack geographical knowledge.

• salonva
    2 years ago

I am just not a game player. I kind of gave up trying but I will admit that Wordle looks like I could possibly entertain it.

• Jasdip
    2 years ago

Try Wordle, Salonva. It's only a 5-letter word you have to come up with. It's quite challenging.

I play Wordle, Canuckle and Foodle (over at the Cooking Forum). I know nothing of geography so I'm not attempting that one.

• nicole___
    2 years ago

https://www.nytimes.com/games/wordle/index.html

OK....lets try it together. Go to the link above. Enter the word POKER. See the green letters? They stay. Do NOT enter the gray letters again they don't belong. Now try to guess what word belongs there. If the letter is "gold" it belongs, just not in THAT spot.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I understand how to play them but not really interested in most, except Wordle.

It's basically a codebreaker game, but instead of a code, it's actual words. It's also a bit like Hangman, since you get to see the letters that have been eliminated, so you don't use them again.

• bpath
    2 years ago

It’s like the game Mastermind, but with letters instead of colors.

• marilyn_c
    2 years ago

I am good with word games, but didn't know how to play Wordle, but since but since Annie Deighnaugh explained it, I could do that. I plat 7 Little Words and Not That Spelling Bee on the apps.

• Kathsgrdn
    2 years ago

I am addicted to the word games. I didn't know there was a Foodle. I've tried the geography one but am really bad at it. I also don't play the numbers game. Some of the other you mentioned I've never heard of.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

I play Wordle, Quordle, Spelling Bee and Mini Crossword. I love word games. I would do more but sometimes I have to get off the couch and do something else. When I really want to do something mindless, I play Candy Crush. I am on about level 4600 of that game.

• greenshoekitty
    2 years ago

not even going to try. I am pretty sure I will not get any of them. Part of my problem is most of those games need lots of spelling ,a trait witch I do not have.

• functionthenlook
    2 years ago

Your not the only one. I never even looked at them. I don't have that kind of idle time, nor do I want too. I'm sure someday against my control I will. Heck I only started to watch outlander the beginning of this winter and am only in the 2nd season. Once summer comes that will be shelved until next winter.

• caflowerluver
    2 years ago

I have never been much of a game player, even as a kid, so don't play any of these games.

• patriciae_gw
    2 years ago

Octordle is a fun one. You have eight games and as you solve each one they simply end with the solution until you have them all or run out of tries. I start with the word Learn. It is a rare word that doesnt have some of those letters...go from there. It actually isn't hard. Every time you put in a new word you get possibilities in the ones you haven't solved.

I also love Worldle. I open up a world map and start hunting for the ones I don't know. I look for clues from orientation and borders as to where it might be. If you make a guess it tells you how far and in what direction the country is. There are a host of tiny pacific islands that I have been illuminated about.

• Lars
    2 years ago

Today's country on Worldle is very easy.

We're playing Foodle on the Cooking Forum. It's a bit easier than Wordle because the answer has to be food related, and that narrows down the possible solutions quite a bit.

Canukle also limits the solutions to words that have something to do with Canada, but that is not always obvious to me.

• Suzieque
    2 years ago

You're not the only one. I looked at Wordle once for about 15 seconds before deciding that it wasn't for me (perhaps I should've given it longer, but really not interested). I think it's great that there are so many of these games that people play, but I do have to admit that, when I come to the KT, I keep scrolling down until I have passed all of those threads.

For those that play them, I'm glad you enjoy them!

• lily316
    2 years ago

I've played Wordle 90 times and have a 97% winning streak going. I enjoy this one game and find it challenging enough so I play no others. The math one would be the last one I'd do because I don't like math puzzles. The multiple ones are too frustrating.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

If you don’t like word games there’s no reason to play them. They’re just relaxing puzzles for those who enjoy them. They only take a short time out of one’s day and they’re relaxing for some people, not stressful. Wordle usually takes less than five minutes. Quordle takes a little longer but I do it last thing at night before I switch the light out. I’m at 100% on Wordle. On the other hand I’ve never completed a Sudoku in my life and feel the same about number puzzles as some of you feel about words. I don’t read the threads about them here as I’m not interested in talking about scores. I do it for my own amusement.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

No, you're not the only one. I'm not interested in any of these either.

• joann_fl
    2 years ago

me too

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

A few weeks ago I broke down and started Wordle. I've been a pretty decent speller since Mrs Wolfe's third grade Phonics instruction. So I find it fun, trying to think of clever words to eliminate letters, thus narrowing down the possible solutions. But darn it, today broke my winning streak!

• Ally De
    2 years ago

Don't feel bad nickel, today's Wordle got me too. I had 3 letters in the right position with 3 guesses remaining. Normally that is a slam dunk. However today I could think of at least 4 words that fit and I lost.

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

Ally De, yes that's exactly what happened -- except I didn't chose the wrong word to guess, I didn't even see the actual winning word as a possibility. Duh!

• samkarenorkaren
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just do Sudoku and crossword puzzles. I find those relaxing.

• aok27502
    2 years ago

I had a pretty good streak going in Wordle, but then I had to clear my cookies. Aggghhh, back to zero.😡

So on Octordle, you only solve one at a time, and eventually the rest fall out.? I could never figure out how to navigate the board.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

Yes, as you solve for one word, you get more clues to the other words because you can see what letters go where (or not).

• aok27502
    2 years ago

Also, what do the colors in the letters on the keyboard mean? Like a green square in the upper left corner?

• ginrummy53
    2 years ago

I play Wordle, Hello wordl, Dordle, Quordle, and Octordle and sometimes there’s a second Octordle available. Being a homebody introvert (maybe recluse due to the past two years), I like word games and 5000 piece jigsaw puzzles.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

I have never tried--I am not a gamer on any level. Pass on them all you aren't missing any huge thing.

• joyfulguy
    2 years ago

Canuckle is like wordle, and while the chosen word usually has a Canadian flavour, I think that it's usually a fairly well known one, and at the end they tell you an interesting message related to it.

I often begin wordle with "swear" or "wears", or "speak", as it has the most usually used vowels, and "s" often appears.

I like quordle, with its 4 words, and nine choices.

Sometimes I write my 3 or 4 usual starting words, with a "y", yellow for included letter and "g" green for correct position in the target word after each, then write the number of times each appears in the four words. and do that for each word I choose.

Draw a line under either line 3 or 4, whichever word I'm using as tester for efficient initial words

Sometimes there may be, e.g. 3 yellows and 4 greens. When I get a word on the fourth try, I write "4" before that word, and after it at "g" I write "5 + 2" if there are 2 green letters in other words beyond the 5 in that correct word.

If I find only 3 words during the nine chances, I write the line number where I found them in front of each word, then a line, with the fourth chosen word with a "10" before it, then a double line under that.

Next game when I use the same three (or 4) initial words, I write the next word below the double line of the previous game.

The number of times that yellows or greens appear for each in a new column beside the initial numbers for the first 3 or 4 tester words, then after each new word in the second game.

When you want to try out some new initial words to see which are most efficient at helping you find all of the words as early as possible, you move a few inches to the right of the long column of several games using your initial tester words, then start a new column, leaving some space to record the "y"s and "g"s for your original group of starter words, should you choose to do more games using them, later.

e.g. swear yellow 3 green 2

birch y 3 g 3

flour y 1 g 4

_______

4 blood y 1 g 5 + 0

piece y 2 g 5

6 niece y 3 g 5 + 0

quire y 5 g 2

8 grime y 3 g 5 + 0

9 demur (if I'd written "devil",

______

10 demur .... then double line, end of game: didn"t get fourth word.

Hope you have some fun while so engaged

ole joyfuelled

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

Also, what do the colors in the letters on the keyboard mean? Like a green square in the upper left corner?

That would mean that the upper left word has that letter in the correct location. If it had a green square in the upper left corner and a yellow square in the upper right corner, for instance, it would mean that the upper left word has that letter in the correct location, and the upper right word has that letter, but in a different location.

• aok27502
    2 years ago

Whew, I think I get it. I didn't win, but I get the idea. I am much better at these things first thing in the morning, with coffee.

• User
    2 years ago

Sedecordle is a pretty good one for those who enjoy these puzzles. You have to get 16 words. 🤠Daily #65

1️⃣0️⃣⬛0️⃣9️⃣

1️⃣1️⃣⬛0️⃣4️⃣

0️⃣2️⃣⬛1️⃣9️⃣

0️⃣5️⃣⬛1️⃣2️⃣

1️⃣4️⃣⬛1️⃣5️⃣

0️⃣7️⃣⬛1️⃣3️⃣

0️⃣3️⃣⬛1️⃣6️⃣

1️⃣7️⃣⬛1️⃣8️⃣

sedecordle.com

#sedecordle

• jane__ny
    2 years ago

I don't play any of them. Have no idea nor interest in them.

Jane

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

For those asking what the coloured squares mean, the rules are all explained if you click on the question mark top left. Using the app rather than the website gives you a clearer layout imo.

Nobody has to play them. They’re just a bit if fun.

• Jupidupi
    2 years ago

I understand Wordle, but what I truly don't understand is why other people think I would care about their score. On my occasional visit to Facebook, I see that I have lots of notices. Thinking I'm going to get news or see interesting pictures, I find out it's just people wanting everyone to know what they scored on Wordle. Once again, Facebook proves that people whom I thought led interesting lives, don't.

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago

yes *grin*

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Judging the interest or otherwise of someone else’s life is very subjective. I’m sure we all do things which other people find boring. For example, I have no interest in discussing the plots or outcome of TV shows. But that doesn’t mean that people who do enjoy it do not have interesting lives.

• User
    2 years ago

If I’m interested on how folks did on a certain day because of a certain word, I’ll look at the scores. If I’m not interested, I’ll skip those threads. Easy enough.

I enjoy playing them. So do some pretty interesting folks that I know.

I love that other people enjoy playing them and enjoy sharing their scores. It’s a nice harmless activity.🙂

• WittyNickNameHere ;)
    2 years ago

I play Wordle every day. Canuckle not so much as even though I'm a Canuck I cannot figure out that many 5 letter words that are "Canadian". Wordle is usually pretty easy. It's just a process of elimination. Start with 1 five letter word that has very common letters (I used Wheel Of Fortune as my example: RSTLNE. I won't say my start word but it has 4 of those letters plus one more..... Then following the hints, you should end up with the correct word by the 6th try. I've only lost twice in the 3 months I've played.

Worldle, I've given up on. Only had a few countries that were super easy: Australia for one. Who couldn't get that one? But for the rest of the planet, I really need to take a geography course again. lol Name a country and I could probably tell you what continent it's on but show me what it looks like, and I'm "doh! I dunno!"

As for the rest, don't have time or patience. I'm a Candy Crush person and they cut into my CC time. ;)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

I am almost (but not really) embarrassed to admit that I have never played any sort of game on my phone or laptop. They just don't interest me at all and I have scads of other activities to occupy my mind and my time. I DO like crossword puzzles but haven't done one in years since the vanishing of most print newspapers.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

"I DO like crossword puzzles but haven't done one in years since the vanishing of most print newspapers."

Time to find some on the internet and play on your computer! There's nothing "lesser" about doing puzzles on line compared with pencil and paper - it's just a different form of writing.