SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_mazza12

Second-guessing my rose order

Steve_M in PA
2 years ago

First post. I have read a lot of good information here and I am hoping someone can help with a question I have.
I am doing some container gardening on a patio in zone 7A (close to the edge of 6B). I lost an unprotected Violet's Pride rose to late freezes this past winter and want to try again with something different. I want something that's beautiful, highly fragrant, and as cold hardy as possible. It seems hard to find all these in one rose.
I settled on pink as a color, but it doesn't have to be pink. I really like the way Yves Piaget looks, but it seems too tender to survive here. I like Cathedral Bells / Soeur Emmanuelle, but it seems too tall. I thought I found my answer with Dee-Lish / Line Renaud, but upon further reading, I see it is known to get quite tall as well.
Can anyone confirm how Dee-Lish grows and if it is well-behaved in a container? Or does anyone have a suggestion of something else to grow instead?

Comments (21)

• summercloud -- NC zone 7b
    2 years ago

Have you looked into the Veranda series by Kordes?

• Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago
    2 years ago

Sweet Spirit might work for you. It has huge, extremely fragrant blooms that are sometimes dark pink and sometimes cherry red. It is very cold hardy and has a nice bush shape. Bliss Parfuma also does well in containers but is more in the apricot-pink range. Although I have not grown them yet, the new Austin roses Eustacia Vye and Gabriel Oak look perfect for containers.

One of my favorite roses for a container is Bolero, but it is white, sometimes with a blush of pink.

• Related Discussions

Ordered my Silgranite sink,,,,,Why do I keep second guessing????

Q

Comments (5)
    I've got the double Cafe Brown Silgranit sink, a medium cafe brown Silgranit for a prep, ORB fixtures and SS appliances. I am thrilled with them all. The sinks are so easy to keep looking clean. I did order a grid for one side of my double, which I find I use infrequently to drain clean dishes. And I use the prep sink grid all of the time to wash fruits and veggies. I think you will be very happy with your choices! I was close to going with a large sink bowl clean up sink, but I knew I would go crazy not having a dedicated spot for washing on one side and rinsing on the other. I am so glad I stuck with my double bowl set up. I am sure you'll be thrilled once you are using everything and in the new space!
    ...See More

Help me with my appliance choices, please... I'm second guessing!

Q

Comments (16)
    I have the same Bosch as sjhockeyfan and love it for all the same reasons. I am still learning what "4" and "6" will do, exactly (for example), but I love that 4 today is the same as 4 yesterday, so when I start using it every day (don't live there yet) it will be even more wonderful. And I haven't even figured out the timers yet, need to get that manual out one of these days. Love cleaning it up, though. I have gas at home now and there's a lot of cussing whenever something goes down between those grates...
    ...See More

Second guessing my island pendants

Q

Comments (15)
    Thank you all! I really appreciate the feedback. And @Mark Benner, I agree! Bold selections often cause anxiety. I do need to trust myself more often. I love design and I think I do a pretty darn good job. Thank you for the confidence boost! :) @Jay Inhoff... so I really don't like matchy-matchy, but I believe in coordinating color families. Obviously the Lacanche has unlacquered brass hardware, my faucet is polished brass and then the cabinet hardware and lighting are more of a brushed finish. They all have the same undertones, but not necessarily the same finish. I think that's what makes a space special. I chose those pendants because I loved them, they were bold, and they offered some curvature in what I view as a relatively linear space.
    ...See More

Second guessing my kitchen backsplash

Q

Comments (15)
    First off, it's your home and you should choose what you like. That being said busy tile backsplashes do seem to be a thing of the past. If you plan on selling any time in the next 10 years I would recommend installing something simpler and more of a background than a feature. If this is your forever home go with what you love and make yourself happy :). Whatever your decision, good luck!
    ...See More
  • hugogurll
    2 years ago

Steve, A lot depends on your location. Dee-lish makes a robust big plant in the mild climate of So Cal. It would not be suitable for a container, unless its a really big container. You might look at Our Lady of Guadalupe - profuse bloomer, lovely color, nice compact habit, perfect for a pot.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Wow!!! I'm so glad I ordered one!! Your CdC blooms are insanely beautiful, Straw!!

• Steve_M in PA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for these helpful suggestions! I looked into each one, and I have some thoughts about them. I will sum up with a shortlist at the end of the post.

Also, I didn't mention before, but this rose will be sharing a patio with two Lady Emma Hamilton roses and a Neil Diamond rose. I know Neil Diamond is a bit polarizing, but it's meant to be in its own corner with some other white & red plants. Regarding hardiness, I am space limited, so I don't want to get into pulling pots inside for stretches of the winter. The LEH roses may be borderline (sigh).

Thoughts on the suggestions:

Kordes Veranda series: These look really beautiful. However, they all seem to be pretty much scentless except for:

• Cream Veranda: Seems nice, but color is not quite what I am looking for, and perhaps not that fragrant.
    • Bliss Parfuma - Full blooms, looks pretty nice. A bit larger shrub than Cream Veranda.

Meilland:

• Sweet Spirit: Very intriguing. I like the hot red/pink color. Bloom form seems pretty good. The fragrance is reportedly very good. I question how small this one stays.
    • Bolero: Seems like a nice small shrub, which is good. I have heard a lot of good things about it, including fragrance. The blooms don't grab me too much, but they look good against the glossy foliage.

David Austin:

• Eustacia Vye: Flowers don't grab me, but the fragrance sounds nice. Hardiness sounds solid. Not too sold on the form of the shrub, from pictures I found elsewhere from DA's website.
    • Gabriel Oak: The intense color looks really nice, and fragrance sounds good. Same concern about the form of the shrub.

Both of these DA roses look good, but they are newish, so I haven't been able to read much of other peoples' experience with them. I also kind of want something non-Austin, as I already have one.

Jackson & Perkins:

• Our Lady of Guadalupe: Seems pretty decent all around, but doesn't particularly grab me.

Other:

• Comte de Chambord: The fragrance sounds amazing! The blooms are huge and rather pretty. The shrub form looks pretty good. (Though the big, matte leaves are a little unusual - I guess it's just how Portland roses are?)

I came across another few options that seemed interesting, but these are also rather new and I don't see many comments about them:

David Austin:

• Harlow Carr: This rose looks pretty nice, with a more intense color than Eustacia Vye, and blooms are on the smaller side. Very thorny. The form of the shrub seems a bit more even than the other 2 DA roses mentioned above. The foliage reminds me a bit of that Comte de Chambord ... a possible ancestor? Harlow Carr is supposedly very fragrant with a "pure old rose" scent.

Ping Lim:

• Easy Elegance Calypso: This one really looks pretty to me, and a very prolific bloomer for some. (https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.306378) Supposed to be very compact. Good hardiness (zone 4A). If any shortcoming, it may be lack of fragrance (not much mention of it).

Weeks:

My shortlist:

• Sweet Spirit (Zone 5, available own-root at Heirloom & High Country)
    • Comte de Chambord (Zone 4, out of stock at DA, Heirloom, and Rogue Valley; available own-root at Roses Unlimited SC)
    • Harlow Carr (Zone 4 or 5, available probably grafted at David Austin, own-root at Heirloom)

If anyone has any additional info to help decide among these 3, it would be welcomed!

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    2 years ago

Steve,

I assume the container grown roses will remain outdoors year round. Therefore look for extra winter hardy varieties so that winter kill is minimized. The largest pots you can afford will go a long way to providing not only ample root growing room, but help in increasing winter survivability.

Dee-Lish is very vertical in growth habit and is also tall, at 5'. I think it would look lanky container grown. My 4 bushes of Dee-Lish are all in ground, and here in zone 6b their winter hardiness is good, but not winter hardy to their tips. Enough survives to leave a nicely formed 'after-spring-pruning,' bush.

I think the Austin rose, Olivia Rose, would work well for you. Also, Bolero and Bliss, recommended by Chris, above, are both very hardy for me, and fragrant+. The OGR, Jacques Cartier, aka. Marchesa Bocella, is super winter hardy here, powerfully fragrant, very disease free and a well formed, repeat blooming bush here....easy grower.

Give Pinkerbelle, Apricot Candy, and Pretty Lady Rose considerations...good growers, tough, and readily available.

The German rose breeding house, Kordes, has many great, very winter hardy, fragrant, disease free bushes. Their introductions win the German, in ground rose trial, ADR, frequently.

Any rose designated as an ADR is worth a serious look. One in particular, Savannah, I believe stands out in meeting your needs, as do Wedding Bells and Pink Enchantment.

Moses

Steve_M in PA thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Savannah is GIANT in my zone 5a at 6' x 4', even if brutally pruned. Jacques Cartier was too big at 5' tall so I gave it away. Pretty Lady Rose died twice in my zone 5a, even when buried deep in the ground.

Apricot Candy is winter-hardy at rose park for many years. Hoang Ton mentioned that Olivia Rose throws big octopus canes, so did Khalid in zone 9b at 5' x 4'.

Bolero is compact & short & fragrant for the pot. Wedding Bells was huge in a pot at Home Depot (no scent). Dee-lish is 5' x 3' in my zone 5a. Mine is 7th-year own-root:

Steve_M in PA thanked strawchicago z5
  • rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Straw - I would love to have a rose bush look like that!! Incredibly beautiful with so many blooms! Well done! :) :)

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Steve: Saw Cream Veranda in a pot at HomeDepot, I didn't like its artificial fruity scent, so I didn't buy it. Easy Elegance Calypso is VERY IMPRESSIVE (tons of blooms) at rose park, but zero scent.

Bliss Perfuma is recommended by Pat Henry of Roses Unlimited for constant blooming, health, and scent. Didn't buy it since I have too many pale pinks.

Harlow Carr is known for its nasty thorns. I grow the nastiest thorns: Princess Ann, Strike it Rich, Radio Times, Orchid Romance BUT Harlow Carr pic. of its nasty thorns scared me. Nippstress in zone 5 grows 60+ Austins, and she mentioned disliking Harlow Carr the most, so I never grow that one.

• charles kidder
    2 years ago

You typically should subtract a zone when potting vs putting in the ground. So I would look for anything Zone 5 or lower. Of course, the bigger the pot, the better the protection,

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

I'm sad I didn't grab comte de chambord when ARFR had it. I sat and pondered for too long!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Aaron - that's too bad. I missed out on an Evelyn. Hopefully we can get them next year.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

In above bouquet, Clothilde Soupert are the small light pinks, Evelyn is the largest pink. Bi-color bud is Louis Estes. All are hardy to zone 5, but Clothilde Soupert is most fragrant and smallest for the pot. Clothilde Soupert is also thornless. Evelyn is 10 times bigger than Clothilde Soupert & more thorny & peachy scent. I enjoy Clothilde Soupert's old rose scent more than any Austins.

LongAgoRoses has Pink Soupert, which is nicer color than white Clothilde Soupert, also Sweet Chariot (very fragrant and winter-hardy for the pot). Also Honeysweet (Buck rose hardy to zone 4, fragrant, orange color, very small at 1' x 1' for a friend nearby). Iowa Belle is a bi-color pink, thornless hybrid tea (Buck roses are hardy in zone 5).

http://www.longagoroses.com/040922_Inventory.pdf

Rouge Royal is very fragrant & small for the pot, but it's a blackspot fest in high-rain climate. Still remember in late fall I had both Rouge Royal and Tess of d'Ubervilles in pots. Tess was 100% healthy with twice more blooms than Rouge Royal. Tess had a nice myrrh and old rose scent with potting soil, and it's very compact & small as 3rd year own-root at 2' x 2'. Winter-survival for Tess is much better than Rouge Royal (die to the crown in my zone 5a), while Tess is green to the tip.

LongAgoRoses had Tess of d'Ubervilles in stock (the last time I checked was April 1). Tess is an Austin climber, but very small as own-root. In hot summer, my hybrid teas shot up to 6 feet, while Tess remains at 2.5 feet max. Tess is well-known for health & fast repeat & many blooms in high-rain climate. It looked better in a pot (cascading down), than my planting in the ground making it climb against the wall.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Straw - what a bouquet!!! I love them all and would be hard pressed to choose a favorite!! :) :) It looks to me like there's 4 rose varieties there...what is the rose under Evelyn? Is it an unopened Evelyn or a different variety?

Your Tesses are so beautiful!! I love that stuffed look!

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

@rosecanadian I highly recommend going the custom propagation route if Peter Schneider will ship to Canada. you'd be surprised how quickly the time goes by.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Carol: the pink roses under Evelyn is Gene Boerner (thornless that's vigorous in my zone 5a for the past 8 years). Gene has zero scent.

Steve Mazza LongAgoRoses takes orders for this year only, but won't for next year. She will sell on eBay instead. Last year she sold Clothilde Soupert for only $14 with $12 shipping cost per 4 roses, versus Clothilde Soupert is sold on eBay right now for $30.

Still kick myself for NOT ordering Austin Roses for only $22 per own-root from Roses Unlimited when there was rumor that RU can't sell Austin roses.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Aaron - I couldn't find whether he ships to Canada. Doubtful...nobody ships to Canada. LOL I do love his book, Right Rose Right Place.

Straw - oh, the beautiful Gene Boerner. :)

• Steve_M in PA
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks for your help! I decided to give Comte De Chambord a try this summer. The damask fragrance intrigues me. I ordered it from RU and I expect to get it in a few weeks (they don't ship to my region until after Mother's day).

It was really hard to narrow it down. I appreciate all the suggestions. I still want to grow so many other plants - Sweet Spirit, Bolero, Easy Elegance Calypso, Pinkerbelle, Olivia Rose Austin ... if I had more space, I would have bought all of them!!!

Edit to add more that I want to try: Variegata di Bologna, Scepter'd Isle, Earth Angel, Oso Easy Italian Ice ... ah, the list goes on. :)

Moses, you are correct that I am planning to leave the pots outside in the winter. I know it's not ideal, but it's the situation I have to deal with for now. I just threw out my 1-year-old Zephirine Drouhin rose after deciding it wasn't coming back to life. It was too happy in the mild early winter we had, and it leafed back out in January. A couple of freezes put a stop to that, and the plant never recovered. It never even got below 10F as far as I know. ZD "should" be hardy to much colder temperatures, but I guess it just hit the plant at the wrong time.

I am going to try pruning them so a 5-gallon bucket will fit over each one. Maybe that will help them go and stay dormant in addition to protecting them from the cold and wind.

• Nippstress Nebraska z5
    last year

Good choice for one to start with - after Straw's comments I'm putting Comte de Chambord on my short list too. Your alternative roses are all strong growers for me if in good spots - Pinkerbelle is particularly hardy though the blooms are small (and I can't tell if 90% of roses are fragrant).

My only edit to your secondary list is not to waste limited garden space on Variegata di Bologna. I planted her for the beauty of the striped blooms, and if she actually had a decent flush in her once-blooming season (like Veilchenblau does) she'd earn her keep. Sadly, she has fleeing "blink and you miss it" blooms for a week at most and is a gangly unattractive scrawny thing the rest of the year. Not necessarily cane hardy which is a bad thing for a once bloomer. I've kept mine because I have the space, and she might be better grafted, but all the others you list are much better.

I grow all your other alternatives and for bloom power and hardiness, I'd go with Earth Angel (but she gets tall), Olivia Rose Austin (massive 5-6' bush each way in poor conditions), Scepter'd Isle (also 4-5' but narrow) for bigger bushes, and PInkerbelle and Oso Easy Italian Ice for smaller ones. The latter might not be entirely hardy in a pot but it should survive. I agree that ZD is barely ground hardy own root in z6 and not pot-worthy - the colder zone rankings it can get are optimistic in my view. I've seen a robust grafted one here in my z5 that was mostly tip hardy, but it's not one I'd put in a pot.

Cynthia

Steve_M in PA thanked Nippstress Nebraska z5
  • strawchicago z5
    last year
    last modified: last year

Agree with Cynthia that Scepter'd Isle is very tall as own-root .. I gave it away due to its being 5 feet tall in its 1st year (gallon-size).

Steve: With regard to what you wrote: "I am planning to leave the pots outside in the winter. I know it's not ideal, but it's the situation I have to deal with for now. I just threw out my 1-year-old Zephirine Drouhin rose after deciding it wasn't coming back to life. It was too happy in the mild early winter we had, and it leafed back out in January. A couple of freezes put a stop to that, and the plant never recovered. It never even got below 10F as far as I know. ZD "should" be hardy to much colder temperatures, but I guess it just hit the plant at the wrong time."

That's what happened in my zone 5a this past winter: In Feb., it dipped down to -20 F but roses still had green cane (at least one foot of green cane on Dee-lish, Princess Charlene de Monaco, and Sweet Mademoiselle).

Then we had tons of freezing rain mid-March, and the above died down to 1/2 foot of green cane, and those that start out with 3 inch. of green cane end of Feb, became dead in mid-March.

My Zeph. Drouhin is 8th-year own root, and it WAS NOT affected by freezing rain in March since it's planted on a steep hill (water drains down fast), plus I buried it below 5 inch. of rock-hard clay which protected the crown from the acidic & freezing rain.

Now on May 5, Zeph is green to the tip (4 feet) with zero dead branches.

Today I pulled out a rooting which was exposed to freezing rain in April (tons of rain, then temp dropped to 20 F). The upper cane is green, but near the root turned black, so I threw that rooting away.

The potting soil inside was dense and slowed down the drainage despite tons of holes drilled at bottom of pot. I should had made that potting soil drains faster by mixing in gypsum prior to planting that tiny rooting.

I contemplate storing pots outside in my zone 5a, and some ways to buffer against tons of freezing rain in March & April which corrode the root (NOT by extreme cold, but by tons of acidic rain that freezes and crack the crown).

1) Fast drainage, such as air-pots or elevated on bricks.

2) Piling up bags of soil into a tall wall around pots (on sale for 1/2 price in late fall). That's to insulate -20 F temp in Feb. in my zone 5a.

3) Pile up alkaline horse manure (pH 8) or wood chips on top of roses to buffer against the acidic rain (pH 4.5) here in Chicagoland.

4) Cover roses with 2 double-layered Yard-Waste bags (one inside another) which help some rain to float out, rather than sinking down to corrode roots, or crack roots when temp. drops.

In late March, after that freezing rain, I asked husband to burn a big pile of branches.

He was annoyed since I piled up pruned perennials & tomato branches on top of rose branches in a tall heap (2 feet tall). At the bottom of the heap, I found roses' canes still green from last pruning in late November.

The freezing rain did not turn those green canes black, since they were buffered by a heap of of branches on top, same with the own-roots which I put plastic pots around (bottom cut off), then piled up wood chips inside up to 1 foot.

The wood-chips (up to 1 foot high) prevented fluctuation of temp which cracked roots, or freezing & acidic rain that turned canes black.