SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Bathroom sticker shock.

Kendrah
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My parents want to make aesthetic updates to the tiny guest bathroom in their apartment - about 25 sq feet. They have received two quotes: $30k and $32k labor only, not including materials. They assumed it would be more like $20k for labor. Here is more info about the work they are having done. Do the quote they received sound reasonable?

Details

* Shower stall: Replace wall and floor tile, add frameless glass door, new Delta shower head

* Room: Replace vanity, new Delta faucet, new floor tile, remove existing wall tile and repair wall - which is plaster, paint.

* Scope: No permits needed, no electric work, no changing of plumbing locations, no moving walls, keeping toilet, mirror, and lighting, no additional outlets needed.

* Location: They live in a small 1950's condo building with in door garage parking for work trucks, service elevator - no doormen. (Not as easy as pulling up to a house in the suburbs.) It is in a nice neighborhood in Pittsburgh.

My father was in the trades (for commercial, not residential) but still has a very realistic idea of the scope of work and residential building codes, so I think their scope of work is quite realistic. He knows the guts of the building well and the history of what is typically found within the walls.

Comments (31)