SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_3240

Weirdly shaped island ... do I have options?

User
2 years ago

I want to redo the kitchen, but I am trying to keep it simple and not tear out any more stuff than I have to. I really dislike my island, for myriad reasons ( it is bilevel, has a totally non-ventilated range in it, and contains very little usable workspace). My floor is flagstone, but it does not run under the island, hence it is also weirdly shaped. The shape does work well with the traffic flow, but that's its only redeeming quality.

I want to move the range against that far wall and vent it to the outside, and then make the island one level (with overhang for stools) ... but will that look strange in its current configuration? It seems like one level might look even stranger.

What I really want to do is something like this (very rough ikea sketch lol but it gets the point across):

But I have the weird angled patchy floor to deal with, and the main kitchen is flagstone. I could remove it, but is that a complete nightmare? otherwise, my island would have to be at least 5x6 ft to cover the floor as it is, which seems unwieldy. And the transition from wood to stone is on an angle, as well.

Any advice?

Comments (18)