SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamablue

Storage ideas for under switch back stairs?

mamablue
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have switchback stairs leading into my basement. I can't find a picture of stairs like mine, but they're something like this:

I have a full sized door that leads into a closet under the stairs. The shorter 'wedge' area under the bottom stairs is closed off, so I have an L shaped space with a sloped roof and a very short (4.5' maybe?) ceiling under the landing.

Thus far, the closet is just a 'catch all' for toys and blankets and gets to be a huge mess. I've tried putting some toy shelving under the landing part and creating a reading nook with bean bags, but it ends up getting heaped full of toys and blankets regardless. It is not ideal for a reading nook anyway. No one wants to hang out in there. (No lights, no plugs. We've tried puck lights, but eh. Kids are bigger now anyway.)

My kids are growing up so I can get rid of a lot of toys and some of the blankets, but I know this is just going to end up continuing to be a catch all space unless I figure out what to do with it. When I google for under stairs storage idea, they're all for regular stairs, not switch back stairs. Anyone have any ideas? I can't create a side access, so the door is the only spot. (pics below)

Note: We're all tall (5'10" - 6'7", yes, 6'7", so bending over to use this space is a special kind of hell.

Comments (13)