SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_25733608

Kitchen layout help!

Kelli Knight
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello!
I'm relatively new to the forum and I am sooo glad I found you guys! I tried my best to follow the advice outlined, but please let me know if I've done anything wrong or you need anything else. Oh, and thank you am million times over in advance to anyone who takes the time to help.
We are going to remodel our kitchen to be a forever dream kitchen. Currently, there's a 3/4 wall and peninsula (pictures of current set up attached —the wall is just to the left of the pic of current kitchen). We want to take out the 3/4 wall, make it a great room and put in an island, but I'm totally open to suggestions!Things to know:
1. I cook from scratch for 100% of my meals because I have the most restrictive allergies I've ever encountered and I am also a foodie. I can't eat preservatives, processed foods, vinegar, spices, soy, and so so so much more, so anything I want to eat, I have to make.
2. I'm physically disabled. I can't stand for long periods, so I currently do 90% of my prep sitting at my peninsula on the barstools. It would be lovely to have a counter height sitting food prep area on the island/peninsula that's separate from the seating/eating area on the island/peninsula, but I'm fine if it's the same place.
Needs:
1. Counter height island or peninsula with 2 to 4 seats for me to sit while prepping (bonus if separate area to sit and prep and sit and eat!)
2. Function and organization! I have severe ADHD, and it's a struggle. One thing that helps - keeping as much as possible out in the open so I don't forget it exists. Any suggestions for this are welcome!
3. Large pantry - we can keep it the same as now, or a better placement/idea/any suggestions suggestions are so welcome! We also thought of enclosing that corner where it is now to be an L shaped pantry?
4. Big fridge/freezer for all the batch cooks I do.
Wants:
1. Tons of prep space - I love that my entire peninsula is empty now, so both sides can be used for prep. I think we would want the island empty for this reason but I'm open to suggestions!
2. 36 inch induction range top (thermador freedom!)
3. I do huge batch cooking, and have temperature regulation issues, so induction will help me not get too hot and the freedom will help with big batch cooks
4. Wall oven (1, but hopefully 2 regular ones or 1 regular and 1 small). This would help stop me from getting too hot while cooking on the range top if something is in the oven and the two would help with big batch cooks.
5. Counter depth fridge/freezer (ADHD, things get lost in the back)6. More space! My kitchen has a lot of prep space, but it's crowded with more than one person by the sink/prepping inside of U.
7. I think we might want the fridge over by the sliding door and some sort of angled island facing the great room or something? Again, open to suggestions 😊.
8. I think it would be nice to change up where the table is so the kitchen is bigger. If we get rid of the 3/4 wall, we considered getting rid of the chimney /fireplace and putting the door on the other corner of the house (bottom right in pic), but this is $$$ 😭. Any suggestions on the placement of tv/couch/table in relation to kitchen /Island would be very welcome.
9. Any other suggestions for increasing accessibility are welcome! (I have a literal couch in my kitchen right now so I can sit in between tasks, so I'm willing to go to great lengths to support my ability to cook).
Again, thank you all in advance!!!
(edit: I can't figure out how to add pics...)

Comments (3)