SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Where to Find SMALL Patches of Geogrid to Support Boulders Above Clay?

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

A common tool used with crushed granite bases for walkways and driveways is to use a geogrid under the rock and above the hard clay soil. Geogrid is hard plastic screening with large openings. Water easily passes through it. Rocks get stuck into it and then the load of the rocks gets evenly spread across that grid. Less of the rock sinks into the clay soil over time. What I would like to know is where can I buy it in small amounts? The typical minimum size I have found is 4 feet by 50 feet, and that is $90:

https://www.amazon.com/My-Supply-Shed-Bi-Directional-Retaining/dp/B07DRPM2Q6

My application for this is to support a very low stone wall made of lichen boulders, like the ones in the photo below. I simply want to make it harder for the stones to sink into the clay soil over time. I will cut out a strip of the geogrid to run the length of the wall. The wall is so low that it does not deserve the effort to build a base underneath it.

P.S., if you want to create a stone border around something in your garden, you cannot go wrong with lichen boulders. They are gorgeous and have a kaleidoscope of interesting colors.

Comment (1)