SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pnbrown

silt and clay as amendment

pnbrown
12 years ago

I have sandy soil, denoted on the soil map as "carver sand". It has about as high a level of OM as is possible, or desirable, yet even so summer drought is always a problem and probably the main limiting factor in production.

Recently I had about 8 or 10 yards of "pond fines" delivered form the local gravel pit. This is the clay and silt particles that get washed out of the mason's sand. The gravel pit itself is also located in the carver sand, so effectively this is a way of greatly increasing the very small amount of clay and silt that is already in my soil. One area of the garden is excavated in the process of building a greenhouse and so I am underlaying new beds in that area with 6 inches to a foot of this gunky material and then putting the old soil back on top. The hope is that will make those beds nearly drought-proof. In other places whenever I dig a planting hole I will add in some small lumps of the fine material along with the other fertilizers.

I sent off a sample of this material in dried form for mineral assay, won't get the results until spring. Our rock here is glacial gravel, so hopefully the mineral range will be good, not just a massive pile of iron.

Comments (37)