SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eml17

Help updating master bath! Heating? Towel Warmer?, Tub, etc!

eml17
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are planning a master bath renovation but want to keep costs down. We are empty nesters and resale is important in case we move in 5 years or so. Here are my questions:

1. Heating: Bathroom is currently heated by toe-kick heaters under the vanity. They do a great job of heating but I can't store toiletries in the cabinet because all the products get really hot. What makes the most sense for heating the room, considering both cost and comfort? Are electric underfloor heating mats a good investment? Will they heat the room? Room is 12' x 11' with 10' high ceilings. Is there a brand that you like? Would installing a towel warmer be a good idea to heat the room? Electric or hydronic?

2. Vanity: I need a 72" vanity. I like a transitional leaning towards contemporary look. Any recommendations on a quality vanity that isn't going to break the bank? I love the idea of deep drawers to hold tall hair spray cans etc and hair dryer. If not all drawers, then cabinets with pull-outs. Was hoping to get a dark wood vanity with white quartz top. Outlets in vanity a plus. Is Bertch a good brand? How about Vanico?

3. Tub: I love the look of a freestanding tub but I've been known to slip and fall. I read that getting an undermount tub with a deck surround may be a smarter safer option for those prone to falling and also lets you age in place a little longer. Thoughts? It does seem like being able to sit down and swing your legs over is safer. I read in much older posts that the Kohler Underscore was a good choice for an undermount. These were old posts here so I don't know if there is something better. Please advise.

4. Toilet: We currently have a toilet and a bidet. Was thinking of getting rid of the bidet and maybe getting a Toto toilet and later adding a washlet. Thoughts? Is the Toto Ultramax II recommended these days? I saw that in posts that were several years old.

5. Medicine Cabinets: Any specific ones that are recommended?

I will post photos of my current bathroom. (They are a few comments down)Thank you in advance for your advice.

Comments (10)