SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suze425

Total Renovation: L-shaped Kitchen with Island

Susan W
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

(Made my title match what my plan now is...)

I’m trying again to get some feedback on my kitchen renovation and I apologize for the length of this post. Hopefully I’m providing all the info necessary. About 10 years ago I did a complete new kitchen and had much success with this site, although I think it was GardenWeb back then? Now I’m having a harder time getting started, but I’m stubborn and feel pretty confident I’ll be able to pull it off without a kitchen designer.

I’ve been researching and reading here ad nauseam, and I hope that I’m able to present this so that I can get feedback. I’ve tried to get much of the story in pictures, but here are the facts that I need to spell out in words:

We bought this house at a decent price, knowing we would need to do a major renovation, even adding some square footage eventually. But since this a house we’re ultimately downsizing to, we don’t want to go too crazy with size. It’s currently 1,700 sf and the ultimate plan is to increase one bedroom to be our master, add a master bathroom, plus a small powder room. Our “real” house is over 3,200 sf and I’ve no desire to be in anything that big going forward.

The 862 sf “starter” retirement house we split our time between now is right next door to this new purchase, and they’re both about 1,200 miles away from our other house. Both this little house we are in and the big house will eventually be sold, but we’re working on the timing of all of this. It’s a process - both physically and emotionally.

In the 9 months that we’ve owned the new place, some things have changed and $$ is more of a concern at the moment - but we will eventually have more $$ to get stuff done. But it’s a bit of a Catch-22 because we can’t move in until we do some serious work, but we don’t have that much $$ to spend on that work until we sell this little house next door. So we’re working on making it livable. Our first step was to gut the entire house to remediate for Chinese drywall, and we now have our list of priorities (the absolute must-do’s) before we can sell this little house and move in next door.

Did all of that make sense in trying to explain where our heads are at as far as getting stuff done?

So, the kitchen is #2 on that priority list (well, maybe tied for #1 with the bathroom.) Once we sell our big house up North, we’ll continue to do more work on this house. The table side of this kitchen will get some love and attention at that time, which is why I’m not doing anything there right now. We added a really lovely full row of cabinetry in our old house in our kitchen on a wall exactly like the window wall that is currently being left bare here. That’s the plan a little later down the line.

We are empty nesters, and I am the only cook. One of my main desires is to have a kitchen where I can accommodate house guests, especially our grown children and their growing families. This house is located in a vacation spot so we host people overnight. (In the 862 sf house - where we have had many overnight guests - there is literally room for only 2 people to eat. That is a serious issue for me.)

Things I’ve learned from kitchen’s past, including the 2 mentioned above and things I’ve learned from my hours and hours of research on this site:

We are 100% fine with aisles that are a little more narrow than recommended - between my refrigerator and a counter, I currently have 32”, and between the dishwasher and a counter, I have 37”. Never once has it been a problem. (Cross my heart.)

I’m a little obsessive and try to leave absolutely nothing on my countertops. I will be fine with the two 24”+ areas on each side of the sink. Our electric perc coffee maker will go there, a paper towel holder, a decorative pedestal cake plate, and maybe a utensil holder. That’s it. I want an undermount sink to leave as much counter space as possible there.

The 8’ island will be my major work area.

I know we need to “trench?” electric to the island through our slab (Never had a house without a basement before.)

I don’t want my microwave above the range - I hate it there. It will live (along with things like a toaster, Kitchenaid mixer, etc.) on the mud porch, which I’m going to outfit with plenty of storage to be used as a sort of a pantry. That porch is the reason I know I’ll be able to keep my countertops clear.

I want to put a door between the kitchen and the mudroom so that I can close it off when I want to. I want to be able to hide any mess in the mud room and also have an area where I can contain pets if necessary.

I’m hoping to do white or cream cabinets, with black granite on the appliance wall, and butcher block on the island. I’d like a beadboard backsplash.

And yes, I really want that island. There - I said it!

Ultimately, what’s most important to me is being able to seat people for meals, and being happy with how my kitchen looks. I don't want an open floor plan. I’m not terribly concerned with resale because I’m pretty sure that will be on our kids. (Sorry kids.) Making me happy with the house is my priority. I think I’ve hit all of the highlights. Here are the details in pictures:

#1 - Here the basic layout now:

#2 - I came across this "official" layout and I got excited:

#3 & #4 - Views from the front and back to what I'm planning:

#5 - Cabinet sizes:

#6 - Aisle distances:

#7 & #8 - Color inspiration

#9 - Backsplash idea

#10 - One type of mud porch storage

Hopefully you can tell that I've put a lot of thought into this. I'm looking for feedback on anything that would be structurally or physically impossible or dangerous, or anything that I'm missing or not taking into consideration.

Thanks much.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm