SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20094896

Which way to orient my island in my L shaped kitchen

User
11 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I recently asked if you'd want to prep facing a window or the living room and if you'd want a kitchen table in an open plan.

Most of you said you'd have the island face the direction which is most functional as a first choice which is why I'm now posting an actual plan.

Currently we have a walk-in pantry drawn on the north wall (behind the cooktop). I don't like how that crowds the left/west wall so I think I'll just put cabinets in the hall behind the cooktop and forgo the walk-in.

The south (bottom) wall of the great room is all windows. I've been struggling with having my island facing the living room or facing the south wall. The cooktop wall and cleanup sink could be swapped depending on what we do with the island. That would mean losing a window above the sink but most of the house is going to be windows so maybe that won't be such a loss?

We may put a table for two with comfy chairs either on the south wall of the kitchen or between the dining room and kitchen. Or we will just sit at the dining room table. It's just the two of us.

If we have the island facing the window, we'll make that cooktop (north) wall longer so it can fit a little more storage and wall ovens. Maybe a pullout pantry.

There will be a d/w on either side of the cleanup sink. A then a tall piece on the right of that for dish storage.

So if this was your house, which way would you orient the island

{{gwi:1907678}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH