SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_528228756

Entry Wall Transition With Adjacent Hallway Entry

HU-528228756
2 years ago

The current plan has a small area front door entryway with a tall 12 ft ceiling. From there you enter the living room with 11 ft ceiling. Immediately adjacent to the entry is an opening or entry to a hallway (9 ft ceiling) that serves the master suite.

First, the little 'wing walls' are only the std 4 in thick which I asked them to thicken at project kickoff as a redline. The framers didn't receive the redlines but I reminded them and they are going to take care of that adding additional studs to 'thicken' the that front entry wall - notably the wing walls at the entry.

But I'm still not sure I like the appearance of that wall from the perspective of the living rm. I put together a 'sketch' to render it from that perspective and it looks like a giant inverted 'L' with a lower entry next to a higher entry...

So I had a few ideas like this to make the wall just surrounding the the entry more symetrical and stand apart a little from the smaller/lower entry to the hallway. Maybe the overall wall wouldn't look so monolithic so to speak..

Note that the fireplace is stone.

Option A - pretty simple

Option B - also thickens the bookcase wall but on the inside of the hallway

Option C would produce a slightly deeper fireplace on the left side (2'-2") and thus not symmetrical. Or maybe they could do that with drywall.

I tried to sketch what any of these options might look like in 3D from the living rm perspective - it's crude but hopefully it conveys the idea. (fireplace would be stone - rest is drywall)

Comments (9)