SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blubird_gw

Awkward kitchen needs Reno and ventilation

blubird
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

A weird thing happened when I posted my son and DIL's kitchen dilemma…it posted on the Houzz side which, apparently doesnt get much traffic. Here's a link to that discussion which will flesh out the issue. Here's a link to that discussion: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6238038/awkward-kitchen-reno-needs-help.

Briefly, they would like to have a small space for seating in the kitchen, in addition to needing more counter space, and to hopefully open up the kitchen to the dining room. There is a second floor over this. Here is the current kitchen:

Here is a quick sketch of the whole floor

One of their neighbors has the same house plan and have this layout which son and DIL seem to favor:

Then, mamagoose graciously provided this layout:

However, no space for 2-3 seats, but it feels more expansive. Ventilation would be easy, but the dining room remains more closed off.

One of my concerns with their friends' island layout is that ventilation would be quite a distance to the window wall, with a couple of turns. I can't quite convince my DIL that pretty comes after the practical but I'm being persistent but polite.

Any more layout ideas would be welcome. Hopefully this posts on the gw side.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!