SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lj_chadin

Need help improving kitchen/mudroom addition floor plan

LJ Chadin
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My kitchen/mudroom project has grown to a two story addition/renovation. Below is the "best" 1st floor plan we have so far (or 6th design). The goal is to keep the kitchen and dining room together. There is currently a wall between them and no peninsula.

Due to strict zoning restrictions in my town, the addition must be inset 3 feet from the side of the house (right side of picture). This is making it a major challenge to build the kitchen into the new space, while also including a mud room/bath. (note that the driveway is the the left of the mudroom.)

I hate that we're building on a 13x20' space but generally keeping the kitchen its original size (~12X12) and have only 3.5 feet between the peninsula and fridge. The peninsula is a comprimise - I wanted an island (w/ 3 seats).

The kitchen being sandwiched also worries me that we don't have enough light.

Any suggestions on ways to better use the space?

The family room is not critical - but I do want a small area where I can read (away from every one).

Here is the first design we started with - which puts the kitchen and dining too far away. We talked about moving the dining behind the kitchen, but the basement door would be in the dining room, along with hallway opening. Which isn't great for dining room, becuase it has expensive things in it.

Comments (8)