SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toxcrusadr

Whirlpool Electric Range Burners dangerously overheat

toxcrusadr
2 years ago

Just an FYI to others. I had installed a Whirlpool, probably between 5-8 yrs ago at my mom's house. Electric coil top. It was a midrange unit (don't have the model with me), not stripped down but not real fancy. It had digital controls for the oven.

One burner either quit working or was overheating several years back (can't remember) and I replaced some kind of module for that one in the control panel. Probably the infinite switch. These go for something like $40-$60 each I think. One by one over the past couple of years, the other burners developed a problem where they would just randomly take off with uncontrolled heating till the burner was red hot, regardless of the setting. If you left the room you could easily burn something or start a fire. My sister and brother now live in the house and just wanted to get something that worked.

We finally replaced this lemon last week. I suppose I could have replaced all those modules but they didn't last very long considering how much the stove is used. We figured they would crap out again, if we could even find parts right now.

Anyone heard of or dealt with this? I'd like to hear your story.

Comment