SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_smith6

UPDATE doctors visits

glenda smith
2 years ago

I'm riddled with arthritis. Old age is taking a toll a told on me. Suggested I sell condo get into a facility where I have 24 hr care and possibliy go to rehab until I sell place I get place sold. See no problem in selling as the condo units sell very quickly as I am in an excellent location.

Comments (37)

• chisue
    2 years ago

That's certainly an option, Glenda. Are there others with less skilled nursing care? (Unless, of course, you require that!) Anyway, time to start a 'new book' of life.

glenda smith thanked chisue
  • gadgets
    2 years ago

What does your family think of those options?

• Related Discussions

update on doctor & thank you!!! everyone!!

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm so glad to hear the good news, I know it's a big relief and you can have a little peace of mind and go about feeling more normal. You have my continued prayers all will be well and your DS can go about his life. Hug's to you all
    ...See More

Update on the doctor situation

Q

Comments (9)
    I'm glad you (and baby) were able to find help Nicole!! 6 months was much too long to wait! I know if I can't see a doctor, I'll opt to see the nurse practiioner or a Physican Asst. Their schedule is usually more open and I've been happy with their care up to now.
    ...See More

anyone know when Zeetera is visiting the doctor next?

Q

Comments (5)
    I keep looking for an update from her, and am keeping her in my thoughts and prayers.
    ...See More

Nice...Update from doctor???

Q

Comments (4)
    thanks for asking plan of action now is no LP for now (yay) sending me to an opthamologist to check my sight and any possible ' muscular/ macular???? problems (I was just gonna go to walmart) Then he wrote me a script and gonna try taking folic acid and magnesium supplements to possible slow my jumpy reflexes and possible that could stop this muscle tightening thing thats happening. Also I put to him that maybe this is the "flu and a broken leg" where my facial symptoms might be unrelated to my arm so he is now gonna check for carpel tunnel or other conductive problmes in my arm. in other words another test at the hospital... so gonna do these things and see if I get some improvement. hi ho hi ho LOL
    ...See More
  • glenda smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My HOA is the pits! Son has been pushing for me to move.

• lucillle
    2 years ago

Glenda, what do YOU think? What sort of living environment would make you happy and secure?

• satine100
    2 years ago

Although most of us have visions of staying in our homes forever I have found that the people that I know who are in retirement communities are really happy. A community with continuing care can mean that you always have the assistance you might need while still being part of the community. There are usually activities for the residents along with small groups who meet for coffee and friendship. If you stay in your condo but dont have mobility you will be missing out on social activities etc. I know you are a people person and would thrive in a new setting. This is a big decision and I know you'll make the right choice.

• amylou321
    2 years ago

I hope you find somewhere you like with a caring staff that can take GOOD care of you,if you want to move that is.

• Kathsgrdn
    2 years ago

((((Glenda))))

• blfenton
    2 years ago

Oh Glenda - I'm sorry it's come to this decision making process for you. Hopefully you can find yourself a new home where you meet new friends, you're comfortable and all your needs are cheerfully met. Choose carefully and wisely my cyber-friend.

(((((hugs)))))

• User
    2 years ago

Wishing you the best.

• lisaam
    2 years ago

Big life changes are so hard but i also hope that you can gain some peace of mind and maybe some new friends if you make this transition.

• jtc
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Best wishes whatever you decide to do.

• sal 60 Hanzlik
    2 years ago

(((Glenda)))

• Suzieque
    2 years ago

Oh my, Glenda. I can understand that this represents a big life change. I know first-hand how hard that is. But I also know that. often, those changes result in better things. God bless you as you work through this. And keep on keeping us updated, please!

• stacey_mb
    2 years ago

I hope that you end up with a satisfying living arrangement, either in your condo or an assisted living center. It's a blessing that your condo will sell quickly if you decide to move, and you won't have to have the additional concern of unsold property. These are big decisions and I hope they get resolved so you can feel comfortable and settled once again.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Glenda, are you feeling any better? A new housing arrangement seems like a great idea, but I worry that does not address how you were feeling physically unwell.

• Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
    2 years ago

Glenda, you always appeared to me as a person who is up for almost everything. Perhaps knowing you are somewhere that you can rely on continual professional care may be liberating. They do say change is as good as a rest. Don't feel pressured and take your time making the decision.

• likestonehomes
    2 years ago

Take the time to make the best choice you can.

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago

dont rush and get some addition opinions

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

Glenda, this sounds like it could be a good move. Do either of your choices check off most of your boxes, have you thought about what would make you comfortable and happy. One thing I tried to find out when my Mom was in assisted living (although there is also independent living and full time nursing in other wings)...what kind of change over takes place among staff. If someplace is well run and residents are happy, chances are staff is well treated too, paid decent wages and they stay once hired. It's nice to have familiar faces who know you....Best of luck. We're going to want pictures of course.

• yeonassky
    2 years ago

Glenda sorry about your arthritis and any struggle from it.

Although it is a tough decision at least you have options. I can see why your doctor is suggesting a move that might give you the care you require in your circumstances.

Plus if you are not satisfied in your current place now might be the time to shift to a better place.

As said above take your time. I would talk to your friends who are living in the facilities that you are considering.

Just try to keep in mind whether your particular needs will be met in those facilities. Ask lots of questions and observe as much as you can yourself. Best of luck.

• lily316
    2 years ago

It sounds like you have two nice options right near where you are living. Take your time and ask your friends about their experiences living there. Change is inevitable as we age. Good luck.

• cooper8828
    2 years ago

Best of luck Glenda. So many changes in a short time. Hang in there!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Wow Glenda, tough decision to make. There are positives and negatives to both trying to stay at home and moving into a facility. I know of so many people who moved and then said the only mistake they made was not doing it sooner. So it can be a very positive experience. I know of others who have chosen to stay at home with 24 hr care and it has its advantages and problems too. A lot of it has to do with their relations with their family members who are relieved of a lot of burden and worry, and a lot of it has to do with the isolation of being home by oneself but the loss of autonomy in a facility. But as your choice involves others, I would try to talk as frankly as possible with them and make the best choice for all.

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

Fingers crossed you get in to your first choice retirement community! It's good to hear that you've already visited it, so know what to expect :-)

• Yayagal
    2 years ago

Glenda, you would be an amazing asset to an assisted living setting. You are caring and fun and we need more of that. Keep us posted and I'll be praying every day is easier on you. My motto is faith and fun. You've got it!

• chisue
    2 years ago

What type of residence is the one you like most? Do you rent there or must you 'buy in'?

When my DM chose a place with continuing care, she neglected to look beyond the amenities of the apartment and services for the residents who didn't require skilled nursing. THAT part of the facility was sorely lacking -- understaffed and without adequate supervision by MDs.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

Oh, Glenda! You certainly have some big decisions to make. You are in my prayers, for strength and guidance. And I do hope you are feeling better physically as well as mentally. Depression is no fun!

Rusty

• lindaohnowga
    2 years ago

Wishing you the best. I know you will make the right decision. What did the doctor say about that swelling in your ankles? I wouldn't think that arthritis would cause that.

• joann_fl
    2 years ago

(((Hugs)))) I hope you are able to sell your place quickly. I think it will be good for you to have help nearby and friends to talk to. You are in my prayers.

• Curly Sue
    2 years ago

Well you won't know how much you love it until you try it. I hope with all my heart that you do love it. Thinking about you and hoping for the very best. (((hugs)))

• hounds_x_two
    2 years ago

Just checking on you! Hoping you are feeling better.

• blfenton
    2 years ago

I was thinking of you as well this morning. I hope you're doing well and getting stronger by the day. Any decision about making the move?

• kathyg_in_mi
    2 years ago

Go spend the day at each one. Have the meals there. experience the social times.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

Thinking of you, Glenda. Moving is the wise thing to do and i think you will enjoy the social side of a retirement community, along with the comfort of having help nearby.

• sprtphntc7a
    2 years ago

Sorry you are going through this change but hoping it will be a great fit and you will thrive!! Best of Luck :)

• drewsmaga
    2 years ago

Hugs. You've been an inspiration to me for years.