SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marthastoo

2 doctor visits, 8 trapped bunnies, & 100s of hours later...

marthastoo
8 years ago

When we bought our current house two years ago, it had been vacant for 3 years. The extensive gardens were giant beds of weeds. Two full years weeding, plantings trial and error, struggles with rabbits decimating our flowers, and an on-going allergic reaction to something in the garden, soil or air (steroid creams are my friend), DH and I have managed to make our gardens something to be proud of. We still have a ways to go (like learning to plant dahlias in April, not June), but we're happy and proud of what we've done so far. The previous owner had head-scratching placements of plants like peonies in almost full shade or 5 maiden gasses planted under a weeping Norway spruce that we had to rectify slowly over two years (and we're still planning on relocating more plants), but we definitely owe them a debt of gratitude for the vast amount of perennials they planted.

The weeds were so high in this bed that we didn't know there was a bird house (top left corner) until our first autumn in the house. In this section of the bed - hosta, various astilbe, various heuchera, yellow and blue baptisia, lace cap hydrangea, pink knockout rose, yellow wood poppy, cheyenne spirit coneflowers, barberry. Not visible but in this section of the bed - weeping butterfly bush, red rose bush, whirling butterflies, orchid glow salvia, salvia, self heal, delphinium, russian sage, and foxglove.

Our shade garden (that gets a fair amount of sun) - hostas, daylilies, brunnera, heucheras, bleeding heart, lamb's ear, beautyberry bush, acanthus mollis, and spring yellow flowering bushes I don't know the name of along the back.

Main bed - Daylilies (so fragrant!), garden phlox, buddleia, lace cap hydrangea, heliopsis, yarrow, veronicastrum, spirea, sedum. Not visible but in this section of the bed - tree peonies, peonies, stargazer lilies, and dahlias.

Thanks for looking!

Comments (8)